TOBI and Hormones

ryry11

Hey everyone,
So, I'm on month on/month off of TOBI, and I swear it messes with my hormones. I break out on it (for the entire month, it's a great self-esteem booster...), I'm way more emotional for the first week, and my periods are really abnormal (coming every 3 weeks; they had been normal since I started having them and suddenly they're crazy.) The moment I'm off the TOBI, this stuff goes away. Can TOBI have an effect on hormone levels? I'm not on steroids; I've been on Bactrim and Doxycycline on and off this spring, but this stuff starts right after I start TOBI. I'm incredibly sensitive to side effects, I've noticed.
Thanks for any input,
Mariah

saveferris2009

TOBI has such a tiny, tiny concentration in your blood (serum = blood) - look below from the TOBI PI: it's almost nothing

Have you been on tobramycin IV's? Do you get the same side effects?

TOBI PI:

Sputum Concentrations: Ten minutes after inhalation of the first 300-mg dose of TOBI
the average concentration of tobramycin was 1237 µg/g (ranging from 35 to 7414 µg/g)
in sputum. Tobramycin does not accumulate in sputum; after 20 weeks of therapy with
the TOBI regimen, the average concentration of tobramycin at ten minutes after
inhalation was 1154 µg/g (ranging from 39 to 8085 µg/g) in sputum. High variability of
tobramycin concentration in sputum was observed. Two hours after inhalation, sputum
concentrations declined to approximately 14% of tobramycin levels at ten minutes after
inhalation.

Serum Concentrations: The average serum concentration of tobramycin one hour after
inhalation of a single 300-mg dose of TOBI by cystic fibrosis patients was 0.95 µg/mL.
After 20 weeks of therapy on the TOBI regimen, the average serum tobramycin
concentration one hour after dosing was 1.05 µg/mL.

D

DebbieS

My cycles have definitely been affected when on Tobi or any "mycin" drugs (tobramycin, zythromycin). I've asked this question in the past too, one possible explanation was that it may be due to the exacerbation, not the drugs per se that are being used to treat the exacerbation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debbie, cf, ddf508, cfrd

ryry11

saveferris- I have been on TOBI, but only for 2 weeks total. I didn't notice any of those side effects, but I was also pretty sick, and I'm not sure I would have noticed the breakouts or even the increased emotion. It was my first time in the hospital.
Sarajerome- I know. :/ I was on a 7 day Prednisone burst, but these things started before that, unfortunately. However, the emotional-ness is driving me crazy this time. I'm pretty sure I'm not PMSing, and it started about 24 hours after I started TOBI.
Debbie- I wondered that myself; the off cycles started in March, which was one of my healthiest months in the past 2 years. They've continued since then, but that very well could be that I'm sick, that's messed them up for me when I'm very sick in the past.

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ryry11</b></i> saveferris- I have been on TOBI, but only for 2 weeks total. I didn't notice any of those side effects, but I was also pretty sick, and I'm not sure I would have noticed the breakouts or even the increased emotion. It was my first time in the hospital.</end quote>

I'm confused. So you didn't have side effects? Or you did? I'm confused by the point of this thread.

TOBI basically stays in your lungs so it doesn't impact the rest of your body, as say, taking oral azithromycin would.

Your 1st post asked if TOBI could cause hormonal changes. Then this 2nd post said you didn't notice any side effects, and you're not sure if you would have noticed breakouts or increased emotion? So I'm confused by what you're saying

ryry11

Sorry, I meant I've been on TOBI IV, and didn't notice any side effects while I was on the IV meds. I have noticed results from nebulized TOBI, however.
Sorry for the confusion.

saveferris2009

oooooh ok. Tobramycin is the name of the medical that is administered via IV. TOBI only refers to nebbed tobramycin - never to IV tobramycin.

now everything makes sense.

TOBI is not messing with your hormones if tobramycin doesn't give you the same side effects. they're the exact same medication.

hope you feel better