TOBI/DIARRHEA?

cfmom2rt

I was just wondering when your on TOBI do you have diarrhea? I know its a personal thing but I still would like to know so I can rule it out. My son has had it for a good while, 1 wk, & i wonder if it had anything to do w/ being on TOBI. It's the only new thing he is on except for Spetra & Rifirim.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Leah~mommy to Reecew/cf

cfmom2rt

so will this go on until he gets off spetra? Should i get him on some pedilite in the meantime? he has never had this before & hes my only one as you can tell w/ the ques.I thought side effects go away after awhile?!
Leah

JazzysMom

I would definitely put him on pedialite. CF patients cant afford to lose too much from diahrea. As to whether you should stop the med, that is a doctors call. If he is on it for an infection & the bacteria is sensitive to it then I would try to keep him on it & find alternative solutions to the side affects. Does he like yogurt? Its a tasty treat for me & the ones with live/active sultures help with diahrea. I have found that sometimes the affects from a med can stick around for awhile after stopping it. As long as a certain amount is in your system, the side affects will still be there. Lots of beans, rice, bananas & other things that "bind" up the stool would be a good idea while he is having the diahrea. Hope this helps a bit!

anonymous

My daughter was on Cipro (antibotic) and TOBI. The Cipro which i am assuming is like the Spetra gave her horrible diarrhea too. We gave her pedelite but what really worked for us was a profilactic antibiotic ~acidophllis (sp?) We found a refrigerated kind at a health food store that was in a yougart form- we mixed 1/4 tsp. in her favorite yougart. It had over 50 billion good bacteria's, we gave it to her once a day!! I am sorry i can't remeber the name of the brand but i am sure every health food store has it. The diarrhea went away and once she was off the antibotics everything was back to normal. Now anytime she takes antibotics i purchase one bottle for the 14 days. It was an amazing difference!!

Good Luck,
Blythe
mom to Brinly 16 mo w/ cf and Birgess 3.5 yr w/o

JennifersHope

I agree on the acidophillis.. I get horrible yeast infections and a really sick stomache from oral antibiotics... The inhaled TObi never effects anything on me other than my voice..

The really good acidophilis, from the health food store can run about $26 a bttle.. I should know, my parents just bought me some..I noticed for me the kind in the food store didn't do anything for me.. but the kind in the refrig with live active cultures in it..work really well..

I hate how expensive everything is.. sometimes I think I should put my vitamins and stuff on my christmas list..instead of clothes and stuff Thank God my dad pays for anything I need for now, even though I am 33... Hopefully that will change when I am done with school in May...

Jennifer

anonymous

Leah,

The acidophlis we bought was around $6.99 i think the name may have been bioX ((??)) but it was very small like a small yougart for kids. It came in dairy free and fruit flavored. You could buy the six pack but b/c it was so strong the woman said we only needed 1/4 tsp so one small bottle lasted the whole dose of antibotics. We also purchased a powdered form ($14.99) but i would recommend the yougart one. She never even knew it was in her strawberry yougart. Just look for the highest live cultures- this one had over 50 BILLION!! It worked the best!

Blythe