Tobi?

M

melleemac

My twin 16 year old boys have been on Tobra since they were 2 years old. Their last clinic app they were taken off the tobra and put on to Tobi. So first I was wondering what is the differance between the two drugs? Secondly, since being on it they have been coughing constantly, even through out the night. They are exhausted. Michael also sounds like he is going to loose his voice, has anyone else had this problem on Tobi? Thank you in advance!

M

melleemac

My twin 16 year old boys have been on Tobra since they were 2 years old. Their last clinic app they were taken off the tobra and put on to Tobi. So first I was wondering what is the differance between the two drugs? Secondly, since being on it they have been coughing constantly, even through out the night. They are exhausted. Michael also sounds like he is going to loose his voice, has anyone else had this problem on Tobi? Thank you in advance!

M

melleemac

tesorotiffa

It is very common to lose your voice on Tobi. I was on Tobramycin when I was a kid/teenager... and then it seemed like one day it was no longer Tobramycin, but Tobi. I'm not sure what the difference is. Could the cough be due to the Tobi knocking some stuff around in the lungs? Or maybe it's their lungs trying to adjust to the "new" medication. I hope you get some good responses on here!

tesorotiffa

It is very common to lose your voice on Tobi. I was on Tobramycin when I was a kid/teenager... and then it seemed like one day it was no longer Tobramycin, but Tobi. I'm not sure what the difference is. Could the cough be due to the Tobi knocking some stuff around in the lungs? Or maybe it's their lungs trying to adjust to the "new" medication. I hope you get some good responses on here!

tesorotiffa

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Tobi CAN cause bronchiospasms, hoarseness. DS mainly gets sinus congestion. I always figured it was breaking stuff loose in his sinuses. He still uses a mask and it seems to irritate his nasal passages. He tends to dig up his nose during tobi weeks. Bleah! Sometimes he gets a little hoarse "froggy" sounding when he first starts using it the first day or so. Sometimes when he laughs he'll get a little cough or tickle in his throat.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Tobi CAN cause bronchiospasms, hoarseness. DS mainly gets sinus congestion. I always figured it was breaking stuff loose in his sinuses. He still uses a mask and it seems to irritate his nasal passages. He tends to dig up his nose during tobi weeks. Bleah! Sometimes he gets a little hoarse "froggy" sounding when he first starts using it the first day or so. Sometimes when he laughs he'll get a little cough or tickle in his throat.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />

rubyroselee

Hello,

Tobi is a more concentrated version of tobramycin. It's treatment was FDA approved to be long-term and on the rotating 28 days on/28 days off schedule. Tobi's main side effect is hoarseness and throat irritation. I had really bad problems with this when I was on Tobi and lost my voice every cycle I was on it.

However, there is now a concentrated version of tobramycin available for the eFlow nebulizer. It is basically the same as Tobi, but in the eFlow the treatment time is significantly reduced. A lot of people are now on that version of tobramycin, although Tobi is virtually the same thing.

rubyroselee

Hello,

Tobi is a more concentrated version of tobramycin. It's treatment was FDA approved to be long-term and on the rotating 28 days on/28 days off schedule. Tobi's main side effect is hoarseness and throat irritation. I had really bad problems with this when I was on Tobi and lost my voice every cycle I was on it.

However, there is now a concentrated version of tobramycin available for the eFlow nebulizer. It is basically the same as Tobi, but in the eFlow the treatment time is significantly reduced. A lot of people are now on that version of tobramycin, although Tobi is virtually the same thing.

rubyroselee

Hello,
<br />
<br />Tobi is a more concentrated version of tobramycin. It's treatment was FDA approved to be long-term and on the rotating 28 days on/28 days off schedule. Tobi's main side effect is hoarseness and throat irritation. I had really bad problems with this when I was on Tobi and lost my voice every cycle I was on it.
<br />
<br />However, there is now a concentrated version of tobramycin available for the eFlow nebulizer. It is basically the same as Tobi, but in the eFlow the treatment time is significantly reduced. A lot of people are now on that version of tobramycin, although Tobi is virtually the same thing.
<br />
<br />

carmick

Tobi is the brand name for the inhaled preparation of tobramycin made by Novartis. Technically everything else is "tobra" although the nickname has pretty stubborly stuck for any and all inhaled tobramycin. Tobramycin can also come as an IV med or as an eye drop but I've only heard those preps being nicknamed tobra.

Tobi always makes me cough. In the pre-HTS days I thought of it as a way to bring stuff up almost as much as an antibiotic. Now the HTS is better for that.

carmick

Tobi is the brand name for the inhaled preparation of tobramycin made by Novartis. Technically everything else is "tobra" although the nickname has pretty stubborly stuck for any and all inhaled tobramycin. Tobramycin can also come as an IV med or as an eye drop but I've only heard those preps being nicknamed tobra.

Tobi always makes me cough. In the pre-HTS days I thought of it as a way to bring stuff up almost as much as an antibiotic. Now the HTS is better for that.

carmick

<br />
<br />Tobi always makes me cough. In the pre-HTS days I thought of it as a way to bring stuff up almost as much as an antibiotic. Now the HTS is better for that.