tobramycin, ceftazidime, and insulin

vbs420

Since being aware of CFrD and treating with insulin, I've had two pulmonary exacerbations since October 2010 for which I've been treated with tobramycin and ceftazidime via PICC and homecare.

After about 5 to 7 days of treatment, my insulin needs are altered dramatically. I must nearly halve my basal rate and almost double my I:C rate.

I've attempted to google for this phenomenom, but with no success.

Does anyone else experience this?

If so, what does this happen?

vbs420

Since being aware of CFrD and treating with insulin, I've had two pulmonary exacerbations since October 2010 for which I've been treated with tobramycin and ceftazidime via PICC and homecare.

After about 5 to 7 days of treatment, my insulin needs are altered dramatically. I must nearly halve my basal rate and almost double my I:C rate.

I've attempted to google for this phenomenom, but with no success.

Does anyone else experience this?

If so, what does this happen?

C

cfsucks

im on that treatment now and havent noticed any changes- i had to increase my dosage when i was on prednisone but have since come off it and am back to my pre dosage amounts

C

cfsucks

im on that treatment now and havent noticed any changes- i had to increase my dosage when i was on prednisone but have since come off it and am back to my pre dosage amounts

C

cfsucks

im guessing- just a guess- that while your body is fighting infections- it is stressing your body which increases the need for high insulin doses, but once you're treated with the strong antibiotics your body can relax a bit and dosages can be decreased? this is just a guess.

C

cfsucks

im guessing- just a guess- that while your body is fighting infections- it is stressing your body which increases the need for high insulin doses, but once you're treated with the strong antibiotics your body can relax a bit and dosages can be decreased? this is just a guess.

vbs420

@cfsucks:

What is the root cause of CFrD then? Is it that the islets of Langerhan are just overcome with pseudomonas a.? Being clogged up prevents natural insulin? Therefore, when dosed with pseudomonas a. killing antibiotics, the clogs on the islets are removed?

Or is it that "the body" is able to improve upon its efficacy quotient while receiving the antibiotics?

I suppose the answers to my questions, if there are any, may just be theoretical.

But really, the last time this happened, the CF care team had no answers for me. I don't dare ask again. I get really tired of the blank stares from healthcare "professionals".

vbs420

@cfsucks:

What is the root cause of CFrD then? Is it that the islets of Langerhan are just overcome with pseudomonas a.? Being clogged up prevents natural insulin? Therefore, when dosed with pseudomonas a. killing antibiotics, the clogs on the islets are removed?

Or is it that "the body" is able to improve upon its efficacy quotient while receiving the antibiotics?

I suppose the answers to my questions, if there are any, may just be theoretical.

But really, the last time this happened, the CF care team had no answers for me. I don't dare ask again. I get really tired of the blank stares from healthcare "professionals".

mamerth

my need for insulin go up on the drugs you mentioned in the title. The way my doc described it was that my body is not able to process the sugars and can't spit out the necessary insulin for certain foods. Hope I wrote that right. My pancreas works most of the time... lowers my sugars the correct way and when I am on IV drugs and fighting an infection my pancreas can't keep up and needs help. I used insulin for 2 weeks the first time on the drugs you mentioned.

I started asking for the drugs to be mixed with saline rather than sugar water (when it is possible) (my nurse suggested that I do that) and my blood sugars don't go up quite so high now. I still get high or wonky sugars when I am fighting an infection. Once my body gets used the antibiotics my sugars settle down.

**I am not currently on insulin... I am controlling my diabetes with a super strict diet. I am very strict (diet wise) with myself when I am in the hospital or doing antibiotics at home). Trying to stay off insulin as long as possible.

mamerth

my need for insulin go up on the drugs you mentioned in the title. The way my doc described it was that my body is not able to process the sugars and can't spit out the necessary insulin for certain foods. Hope I wrote that right. My pancreas works most of the time... lowers my sugars the correct way and when I am on IV drugs and fighting an infection my pancreas can't keep up and needs help. I used insulin for 2 weeks the first time on the drugs you mentioned.

I started asking for the drugs to be mixed with saline rather than sugar water (when it is possible) (my nurse suggested that I do that) and my blood sugars don't go up quite so high now. I still get high or wonky sugars when I am fighting an infection. Once my body gets used the antibiotics my sugars settle down.

**I am not currently on insulin... I am controlling my diabetes with a super strict diet. I am very strict (diet wise) with myself when I am in the hospital or doing antibiotics at home). Trying to stay off insulin as long as possible.