Toddler Recovering From Stomach Flu

kellyga

Need help from any moms who may have dealt with this before. My daughter, Bridget, got a nasty stomach virus last week. She threw up for 3 days and ran a high fever. She seems to be on the mend, but she is still not eating very well almost a week later. She doesn't want to take her enzymes or prevacid, which we think is making her tummy more upset. We keep offering her all kinds of different food, and she is just not interested. I keep telling myself that she will take a while to recover, but I can already tell she has lost weight. This is my first time dealing with a toddler and stomach virus, then you add the CF and weight concerns, and we are completely a mess worrying. She has always been in the 50-75%, but losing so much so quickly seems like it will be hard to catch up again.

Is it normal for her to be struggling with eating a week later? Do I just need to wait it out? We have always been able to give her medicine mixed with applesauce on a spoon, any other creative ways to get the medicine down? We tried hiding it in a mandarin orange, but that only worked twice. Thanks in advance for any advice...

kellyga

Need help from any moms who may have dealt with this before. My daughter, Bridget, got a nasty stomach virus last week. She threw up for 3 days and ran a high fever. She seems to be on the mend, but she is still not eating very well almost a week later. She doesn't want to take her enzymes or prevacid, which we think is making her tummy more upset. We keep offering her all kinds of different food, and she is just not interested. I keep telling myself that she will take a while to recover, but I can already tell she has lost weight. This is my first time dealing with a toddler and stomach virus, then you add the CF and weight concerns, and we are completely a mess worrying. She has always been in the 50-75%, but losing so much so quickly seems like it will be hard to catch up again.

Is it normal for her to be struggling with eating a week later? Do I just need to wait it out? We have always been able to give her medicine mixed with applesauce on a spoon, any other creative ways to get the medicine down? We tried hiding it in a mandarin orange, but that only worked twice. Thanks in advance for any advice...

kellyga

kellyga

kellyga

<br />
<br />Is it normal for her to be struggling with eating a week later? Do I just need to wait it out? We have always been able to give her medicine mixed with applesauce on a spoon, any other creative ways to get the medicine down? We tried hiding it in a mandarin orange, but that only worked twice. Thanks in advance for any advice...
<br />
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was a year or so old he got a stomach bug. We gave him pedialyte and white grape juice as he began to recover. I made the mistake of giving him formula and mac and cheese too soon, when his fever broke, but tummy was still sensitive. I too was concerned with losing weight, but if he wasn't going to keep it down...

I guess you could try some banana. Don't need enzymes and might help with the stomach upset. Imagine she's too old for rice cereal.

Is she still stooling okay?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was a year or so old he got a stomach bug. We gave him pedialyte and white grape juice as he began to recover. I made the mistake of giving him formula and mac and cheese too soon, when his fever broke, but tummy was still sensitive. I too was concerned with losing weight, but if he wasn't going to keep it down...

I guess you could try some banana. Don't need enzymes and might help with the stomach upset. Imagine she's too old for rice cereal.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I guess you could try some banana. Don't need enzymes and might help with the stomach upset. Imagine she's too old for rice cereal.
<br />
<br />Is she still stooling okay?

M

Mommafirst

My daughter had that flu a few weeks ago and it took some time to get back to her normal appetite. I'd seriously focus on fluids right now, keeping her hydrated and the appetite will come back. Its hard to see them drop the weight so quickly, but since she has stayed in the optimal range for some time, she has a little give -- which is a big reason that the CF centers like to keep CF kids at the 50% or higher because when they get ill they lose the weight fast and this gives them the cushion they need.

M

Mommafirst

My daughter had that flu a few weeks ago and it took some time to get back to her normal appetite. I'd seriously focus on fluids right now, keeping her hydrated and the appetite will come back. Its hard to see them drop the weight so quickly, but since she has stayed in the optimal range for some time, she has a little give -- which is a big reason that the CF centers like to keep CF kids at the 50% or higher because when they get ill they lose the weight fast and this gives them the cushion they need.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

Chilemom

we all have the flu like two month ago. What I learned is that take milk with "lactosa" is harder to take even thou you dont have allery, so we took milk with out it.
Remember that for fruits and veg you dont need enzymes so if you can do natural fruit juice its a really good way to give her calories without enzymes.
And i think, i am not sure, that natural fat like the olives, nuts, avocado even thou you may need enzymes, i think that for the body is easier to eat it.
good luck

Chilemom

we all have the flu like two month ago. What I learned is that take milk with "lactosa" is harder to take even thou you dont have allery, so we took milk with out it.
Remember that for fruits and veg you dont need enzymes so if you can do natural fruit juice its a really good way to give her calories without enzymes.
And i think, i am not sure, that natural fat like the olives, nuts, avocado even thou you may need enzymes, i think that for the body is easier to eat it.
good luck

Chilemom

good luck

Chilemom

good luck

Chilemom

<br />Remember that for fruits and veg you dont need enzymes so if you can do natural fruit juice its a really good way to give her calories without enzymes.
<br />And i think, i am not sure, that natural fat like the olives, nuts, avocado even thou you may need enzymes, i think that for the body is easier to eat it.
<br />good luck