Toddler's Acute GI Problems

Edna0312

My 2-yr old son (who has blood at Ambry for testing right now) has had some mild throwing up for about 2 weeks. It's not been bad-- just a little here and a little there. Then his appetite starting going down. For 3 days he didn't eat hardly anything. He would act hungry and take a bite only to hold it in his mouth until he finally spit it out. Then, on Sunday afternoon, I noticed some hives on his groin. Monday morning he was throwing up bile and feeling bad. (Took him to the Ped. who said he probably had reflux!! but I could take him to GI if he worsened) By Monday afternoon his hives were now on his legs, arms, stomach and face. Tues morn, hives were much worse, covering his trunk and wrapping around his back in one HUGE patch. (Took his back to Ped. they gave me Prednisone and sent him home) He has had very dark greenish-black diarrhea and mucousy stools. Tues had no vomiting but did have the yucky poops.

He woke up this morning throwing up like crazy and more diarrhea. I don't know what to do. My GI docs are 3 hours away, and I am waiting to hear back from them. The docs here don't know what to do and don't really want to touch him because of his history and the fact that he sees a GI.

He hasn't eaten anything today. He wants to and takes bites, but will not swallow any food today. He is drinking, though.

Have any of you had a kid to not swallow and have any of these symptoms?

One more thing, his breath smells really bad.

Thanks,

Edna
mom to 3 with one on the way!

Edna0312

My 2-yr old son (who has blood at Ambry for testing right now) has had some mild throwing up for about 2 weeks. It's not been bad-- just a little here and a little there. Then his appetite starting going down. For 3 days he didn't eat hardly anything. He would act hungry and take a bite only to hold it in his mouth until he finally spit it out. Then, on Sunday afternoon, I noticed some hives on his groin. Monday morning he was throwing up bile and feeling bad. (Took him to the Ped. who said he probably had reflux!! but I could take him to GI if he worsened) By Monday afternoon his hives were now on his legs, arms, stomach and face. Tues morn, hives were much worse, covering his trunk and wrapping around his back in one HUGE patch. (Took his back to Ped. they gave me Prednisone and sent him home) He has had very dark greenish-black diarrhea and mucousy stools. Tues had no vomiting but did have the yucky poops.

He woke up this morning throwing up like crazy and more diarrhea. I don't know what to do. My GI docs are 3 hours away, and I am waiting to hear back from them. The docs here don't know what to do and don't really want to touch him because of his history and the fact that he sees a GI.

He hasn't eaten anything today. He wants to and takes bites, but will not swallow any food today. He is drinking, though.

Thanks,

Edna

Edna0312

Thanks,

Edna

JazzysMom

OMG I am so sorry your little one is going thru such hell. l have never dealt with the combo of things your child has at the moment. The hive thing makes me thing of allergies immediately. I really have no idea, but I certainly hope you find an answer soon. This sounds extremely dangerous to me. Not to put more anxiety on you ... sorry!

JazzysMom

OMG I am so sorry your little one is going thru such hell. l have never dealt with the combo of things your child has at the moment. The hive thing makes me thing of allergies immediately. I really have no idea, but I certainly hope you find an answer soon. This sounds extremely dangerous to me. Not to put more anxiety on you ... sorry!

JazzysMom

MYBOY

Poor guy! I feel so bad for him. Could it be a blockage in his intestines? Does he hurt in the lower stomach almost appendix area? I don't know about the hives, though? My son had this a couple of times - he would throw up (longer than 24 hours and have sharp pain in the lower part (but he would still have bowel movements). We took him to the local doc who is aware of CF but not the CF doc and they thought it was the appendix until the surgeon examined him. He ordered a barium enema cause he couldnt keep the drink down to do a scan. The barium enema fixed his interseseption (I guess is what they called it -when the small and large intestine overlap each other) I guess that is probably different than a bowel blockage - put I would check both things - it can be dangerous they told me if goes too long.

Anyway best of luck - I'm not sure if this is what it could be or not - but thought I would share our experience. My son is 10 so all still pretty new for us too. Let us know what happens!

MYBOY

Poor guy! I feel so bad for him. Could it be a blockage in his intestines? Does he hurt in the lower stomach almost appendix area? I don't know about the hives, though? My son had this a couple of times - he would throw up (longer than 24 hours and have sharp pain in the lower part (but he would still have bowel movements). We took him to the local doc who is aware of CF but not the CF doc and they thought it was the appendix until the surgeon examined him. He ordered a barium enema cause he couldnt keep the drink down to do a scan. The barium enema fixed his interseseption (I guess is what they called it -when the small and large intestine overlap each other) I guess that is probably different than a bowel blockage - put I would check both things - it can be dangerous they told me if goes too long.

Anyway best of luck - I'm not sure if this is what it could be or not - but thought I would share our experience. My son is 10 so all still pretty new for us too. Let us know what happens!

MYBOY

MYBOY

I just thought I would add that after we changed his enzymes he hasn't ever had this problem again. If he has been vomiting for that long I would take him to the doc and demand something!

MYBOY

I just thought I would add that after we changed his enzymes he hasn't ever had this problem again. If he has been vomiting for that long I would take him to the doc and demand something!

MYBOY

okok

It definately sounds like it could possibly be a blockage/partial blockage. I don't understand how the hives are related but considering he is pancreatic insufficient, the first thing the doctors should rule out is a blockage. Diarrhea can indicate blockage because sometimes the softer stuff comes out around the harder stuff. Also bad breath can definately be related to digestive troubles. Poor baby! I hope the docs get back to you soon and that he gets treatment and is feeling better soon!

BTW Do you know if your doc even listened to his stomach for sounds that could indicate a blockage...? It is such a simple thing to do. I'd get a new doctor if he/she didn't.

okok

It definately sounds like it could possibly be a blockage/partial blockage. I don't understand how the hives are related but considering he is pancreatic insufficient, the first thing the doctors should rule out is a blockage. Diarrhea can indicate blockage because sometimes the softer stuff comes out around the harder stuff. Also bad breath can definately be related to digestive troubles. Poor baby! I hope the docs get back to you soon and that he gets treatment and is feeling better soon!

BTW Do you know if your doc even listened to his stomach for sounds that could indicate a blockage...? It is such a simple thing to do. I'd get a new doctor if he/she didn't.

okok

Edna0312

THank you all so much for your comments. I, too, wondered about the possibility of an intestinal blockage. It helps me to know I am not crazy for some of you to mention it too.

No, the ped. did not listen to his stomach. They are so clueless sometimes!

The GI nurse did call me back and we have an appointment at the children's hospital in the morning. She told me to come to their ER if he gets worse over the rest of the day today or if he can't hold anything down.

THank you all again for your responses!!

Edna
Daughter 7, Daughter 4 ?cf, Son 2 ?cf, baby boy due late Aug

Edna0312

THank you all so much for your comments. I, too, wondered about the possibility of an intestinal blockage. It helps me to know I am not crazy for some of you to mention it too.

The GI nurse did call me back and we have an appointment at the children's hospital in the morning. She told me to come to their ER if he gets worse over the rest of the day today or if he can't hold anything down.

Edna

Edna0312

Edna

love4josh

my son had the same symptoms (w/out the hives) turns out he was getting generic enzymes. cleary generic is not good enough. he was hospitalized given iv antibiotics, the correct enzymes and miralax. the miralax was to help clear out the bile that had backed up into his system.

love4josh

my son had the same symptoms (w/out the hives) turns out he was getting generic enzymes. cleary generic is not good enough. he was hospitalized given iv antibiotics, the correct enzymes and miralax. the miralax was to help clear out the bile that had backed up into his system.