Toddler's Acute GI Problems

love4josh

my son had the same symptoms (w/out the hives) turns out he was getting generic enzymes. cleary generic is not good enough. he was hospitalized given iv antibiotics, the correct enzymes and miralax. the miralax was to help clear out the bile that had backed up into his system.

M

Mommafirst

Oh Edna, I hope you get some answers here. I'd be very concerned about dehydration at this point. It can happen very quickly. Is there a hospital you can bring him to and the CF doctors can see him there? Good luck!!

M

Mommafirst

Oh Edna, I hope you get some answers here. I'd be very concerned about dehydration at this point. It can happen very quickly. Is there a hospital you can bring him to and the CF doctors can see him there? Good luck!!

M

Mommafirst

CFMOM65

I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE HIM EITHER TO THE GI DR OR THE ER, SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE SERIOUS LIKE A BLOCKAGE. MY DAUGHTER W CF 1 YRS OLD HAD EXCESSIVE BMS , VOMITING ON & OFF NO RASH @ 9 MTHS OLD. ENDED UP SHE HAD A BLOCKAGE CALLED DIOS OR MECONIUM ILLEUS EQUIVALENT IF U CANT MAKE IT 2 THE GI TELL YOUR PED THAT U WANT A PRESCIPTION 2 GET A KUB DONE - FANCY WORD FOR STOMACH XRAY. DOES HE HAVE A FEVER? JUST ASKING BECAUSE SHE ALSO @ 1 YR OLD HAD FEVER , ON & OFF VOMITING , WOULD NOT EAT OR WOULD GAG ON FOOD HER BREATH SMELLED REALLY BAD TO BUT HER RASH WAS ON HER STOMACH & THIGHS AND FELT LIKE SANDPAPER AND IT TURNED OUT SHE HAD STREP THROAT,I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL& I HOPE HE GETS BETTER SOON

MOM OF 9 YROLD GIRL WO CF & 16 MNTH OLD BABY GIRL W CF

CFMOM65

I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE HIM EITHER TO THE GI DR OR THE ER, SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE SERIOUS LIKE A BLOCKAGE. MY DAUGHTER W CF 1 YRS OLD HAD EXCESSIVE BMS , VOMITING ON & OFF NO RASH @ 9 MTHS OLD. ENDED UP SHE HAD A BLOCKAGE CALLED DIOS OR MECONIUM ILLEUS EQUIVALENT IF U CANT MAKE IT 2 THE GI TELL YOUR PED THAT U WANT A PRESCIPTION 2 GET A KUB DONE - FANCY WORD FOR STOMACH XRAY. DOES HE HAVE A FEVER? JUST ASKING BECAUSE SHE ALSO @ 1 YR OLD HAD FEVER , ON & OFF VOMITING , WOULD NOT EAT OR WOULD GAG ON FOOD HER BREATH SMELLED REALLY BAD TO BUT HER RASH WAS ON HER STOMACH & THIGHS AND FELT LIKE SANDPAPER AND IT TURNED OUT SHE HAD STREP THROAT,I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL& I HOPE HE GETS BETTER SOON

CFMOM65

Edna0312

Thank you all again.

I took him to the GI doc at the Children's hospital. We saw the PA. She decided to do some blood work and stool collection for leukocytes and culture. She felt of his stomach and said it was soft and she didn't think it would be a blockage. But, I would have felt much better if she would have xrayed him. She said she wanted to wait untill his regular doc got out of surgery and consult with him before she went further. That was lunch time yesterday and I havent heard anything yet. I'm just a little frustrated. He was better yesterday only he is now running fever. More diarrhea today and still mild fever. He's lost 2 pounds.

CFMOM65,

Thank you for your insight. That does sound exactly how he is doing. How did she feel?? He will seem okay and play normally for a little while in between the episodes of diarrhea and vomiting.

His rash is typical hives. It is coming and going. He has had them before but not for this long or to this extent.

Thanks,

Edna

Edna0312

Thank you all again.

I took him to the GI doc at the Children's hospital. We saw the PA. She decided to do some blood work and stool collection for leukocytes and culture. She felt of his stomach and said it was soft and she didn't think it would be a blockage. But, I would have felt much better if she would have xrayed him. She said she wanted to wait untill his regular doc got out of surgery and consult with him before she went further. That was lunch time yesterday and I havent heard anything yet. I'm just a little frustrated. He was better yesterday only he is now running fever. More diarrhea today and still mild fever. He's lost 2 pounds.

CFMOM65,

Thank you for your insight. That does sound exactly how he is doing. How did she feel?? He will seem okay and play normally for a little while in between the episodes of diarrhea and vomiting.

His rash is typical hives. It is coming and going. He has had them before but not for this long or to this extent.

Thanks,

Edna

Edna0312

Thank you all again.

CFMOM65,

Thanks,

Edna

CFMOM65

hi edna i'm so glad that i was of some help and that he got to see his gi that will be of great releif to u when u find out the results to his tests i think if it was really serious the doctors would have called u immediatly, when she had the meconiom illeus equivalent her belly was pretty didtended but i didnt know because thats her normal her belly bloats really easily. shes very active and she would play no matter what only if she had an episode of vomiting or a fever but even w / a fever a mild one she still plays i hope everything turns out well keep me posted

cfmom

daughter 9 w/o cf & baby girl 16 mnths old w/ cf

CFMOM65

hi edna i'm so glad that i was of some help and that he got to see his gi that will be of great releif to u when u find out the results to his tests i think if it was really serious the doctors would have called u immediatly, when she had the meconiom illeus equivalent her belly was pretty didtended but i didnt know because thats her normal her belly bloats really easily. shes very active and she would play no matter what only if she had an episode of vomiting or a fever but even w / a fever a mild one she still plays i hope everything turns out well keep me posted

cfmom

CFMOM65

cfmom

Edna0312

I still don't know anything about any test results. They told me it would probably be Monday. I'm worried even more now, though. He has had a runny nose since Tues, and now is starting to cough and sound wheezy. I'm pretty sure this will turn into full-blown pneumonia again! He just got over his last bout in early March. He usually has URI/Pneumonia every 2-3 months.

I'll let you all know more when I know more.

Thank you again so very much!

Edna

Edna0312

I still don't know anything about any test results. They told me it would probably be Monday. I'm worried even more now, though. He has had a runny nose since Tues, and now is starting to cough and sound wheezy. I'm pretty sure this will turn into full-blown pneumonia again! He just got over his last bout in early March. He usually has URI/Pneumonia every 2-3 months.

Edna

Edna0312

Edna

okok

Hi Edna,

I'm so sorry your boy isn't feeing better yet! I'm glad you went to see the GI though. I hope they can get to the bottom of his illness. Do you know if the doctors have tested your childern for immune deficiencies before?? I know that the lung symptoms can often mimic CF in the case of immune deficiencies...

Anyway good luck. Keep us updated on how your son is doing.

okok

Hi Edna,

I'm so sorry your boy isn't feeing better yet! I'm glad you went to see the GI though. I hope they can get to the bottom of his illness. Do you know if the doctors have tested your childern for immune deficiencies before?? I know that the lung symptoms can often mimic CF in the case of immune deficiencies...

okok

Hi Edna,

Edna0312

Yes, they have had extensive testing for immune deficiencies. All tests are normal.

We will be returning to the Children's hospital probably tomorrow, because he is worse. Fever above 102, constant coughing, and lots more diarrhea.

Will keep you posted

Thanks,

Edna