Tom Cruise

anonymous

Anyone have views on Tom Cruise of late?
He sure is pushing the whole Scientology thing, which is fine, but then he tries to make it sound like all of us on antidepressants, etc. really don't have a medical issue, that it's something that can be "worked out" w/o meds. Just kinda weird. Anyone agree?
I wonder what his views are on chemotherapy, antibiotics, enzymes, etc?

rose4cale

You must have seen him on the Today Show today. He's kind of been a whole lot of annoying these last couple of weeks with this whole love thing. But when I saw him today on tv I was shaking my head in irritation. He is passionate about his stand on these issues, but he was acting like Matt Lauer was ignorant and stupid. I thought he was completely out of line and just plain annoying (like on Oprah).

Just because a medication is taken doesn't mean it is being abused. And then for him to mention names of other celeberties in his disapproval of their choices towards taking a medication, that helped, was rather arrogant of him I thought.

Overall, I am totally annoyed by him lately!

Mockingbird

Heh, I bet if he suddenly found out he had CF or something like that, he wouldn't be a scientologist anymore. =-) It's funny how many people are like that.

JazzysMom

Just like any other "religion", it is rude & inappropriate to bash someone for something they do or are doing because you dont approve. Tom's sudden forwardness/pushiness has really made me think less of him. Everyone is entitled to their opinions & can vent them, but it should be done in a respectable manner. I am sure he would want the same.

Jenni

my brother is a sciencetologist, (cult basically) they are the most off the wall thinking people I have ever meet. When I found out that my children had cf, he told me me cf doesn't exist it is a made up illiness that doctors have made us believe exist. He said if we believe they have cf then they will have it, but if we were smart and didn't believe the lies then they wouldn't have it. He said they have it because they believe they have it, How can a 5 and 6 year old believe they have cf when they don't even know what cf is, that can't make their bodies show signs od cf and grow things that only cfers grow. But yet that is what they believe. Acoording to this cult doctors don't know anything they are stupid. He wanted me to put my kids through a depurafication procees that would elimate there body of all medicine the have ever taken, it cost about 2000 dollars. There is a whole lot more craziness I coould tell you about this cult but it pi$$es me off to even think about it. They are a brain washing money hungry religon that is completely off the wall. To them we are all crazy and on drugs and we give our kids drugs that they don't need for an illiness they don't have that is made up. How sick is that to think we would want our kids to have such a life threating illiness. In my opinions they are the sick ones and they need there heads examined. They are some of the the crazies people you will ever meet, with the most off the wall thoughts and the most messed up brains I have ever seen .

anonymous

I've actually never heard of scientology until now. It sounds absolutely bizarre! Ridiculous. How do babies who don't understand cf, get diagnosed??? Ugh, its unreal how some people think.

On another Tom Cruise related issue, does that guy have NO sense of humour, I mean getting those guys arrested for ASSAULT, for squirting water in his face. Jeesh! Get a life!

Shamrock, x

Emeraldmirror

I agree... that's weird... it kinda reminds me of when i talk to hard core vegans... i just look at them and say "you know if it wasn't for the life of an animal i wouldn't be alive right now and niether would thousands of other people, so does that mean that you would rather see me and thousands of other people die a slow and rather horrible death instead of a quick death that these animals go through"... that is if you're not going to places like mexico where they kill them however they like... but yeah... some people are nieve and will believe anything that is sold to them

Ashley 21 w/cf

Mockingbird

Jenni, Right on! =-) I'm all for keeping an open mind and everything, but some things are just a little too insane to be taken seriously. =-) Besides, any religion that uses phrases like "Purificatin process" is <i>definately</i> a cult. =-)

JazzysMom

When I was looking into different religious beliefs, Scientology was originally intriging to me because it didnt seem so "man made/man forced upon you" beliefs. It was based from your inner strength, but after researching it a little more I believe even tho it isnt presented in the same way as other beliefs, the whole idea is a "brainwashing" theory.

anonymous

Jenni
You mentioned money hungry & that's not the first time I've heard that about Scientology, my question is.....where is the money going that they collect? When you've got people like Tom Cruise, Kirstie Alley, John Travolta, etc. giving a "tithe" (I assume) -- that's a lot of money just right there.
Is this money padding someone's pocket, or is it going to help feed poor people in our country or other countries or does anyone know?
Elle

anonymous

Generally, with "cults" they are money makers for 'people at the top' of the cult, ie the people you never see. Then they elect 'preachers' within each branch and if they recruit people then they get paid well. The money doesnt go to help the poor or feed the starving, unless that is, the earner chooses to spend their money that way.

Shamrock, x

Jenni

Exactly the money is not used to help common people like us, I higher you are up on the food chain(cult) the more money you make and get. It is a religon the makes the rich richer and poor poorer. That is why they are always trying to recruit new members, to sign up and take all of these classes, and do the depurification. It screams MONEY to them. The more dummies that fall into their web, the richer the others get.

Mockingbird

To be completely fair, I have heard of them helping out in Africa and things like that. I still think scientology is crap, but they have done at least some good in the world.

thefrogprincess

Gee, I wonder if my dad's clogged arteries were just in his head?! That is such crap! I don't believe a person can make up a serious illness! My dad almost died from blocked arteries 3 months ago, nobody says "Well if I think about it hard enough I can clog my arteries"! Give me a break.

CFHockeyMom

I'll preface this post by saying that I'm a huge Tom Cruise fan and that I know nothing of Scientology.

That said, I do think Tom has gone off the deep end! That's fine if he's in love with Kate (formerly Katie before she started dating Tom) Holmes, but his appearance on Oprah was down right embarassing. I mean it was a full hour of him giggling and jumping around professing his love for Kate. I'm surprised Oprah actually ran the show because it was very low on content.

As far as his appearance on the Today show, I agree that he was very rude to Matt Lauer. Matt is not an idiot and he is an accomplished interviewer. For Tom to disregard him and his questions made Tom look like the idiot. Then to drag other people into the discussion, well, that's just low class. If you can't make an agrument with facts then don't make it and quite frankly I didn't hear Tom present any factual information other than he's done the research. Would have helped if he actually presented some of it.

Now, I do agree that we as a society are over medicating not just our kids but our people as a whole. Just look at the rampant use of antibiotics. That doesn't mean however that there aren't real diseases/illnesses that we can treat, including chemical imbalances. I've suffered from depression from time to time and exercise, diet, and supplements have helped. However, I can't speak for everyone and wouldn't presume to.

I dislike it when stars misuse their celebrity to promote their own agenda. I know they're in the spotlight and it's easy for them to bring attention to various issues but I'd prefer they just pick a charity and donate.

CFHockeyMom

One more thing...

With regard to Scientology, I'm not into bashing other peoples religions/beliefs but Scientology does seem to have a cult aspect to it. I'm always nervous about religions that are difficult to get information about without buying a book. It seems that if you want to get any information regarding Scientology you have to buy a book (there are lots but most/all seem to be written by L. Ron Hubbard). Even if you try and go to their website to get info, everything points to the purchase of a book. Granted, books (i.e. the written word) are where we get most of our information on everything. However, why couldn't they have the basics incorporated into the website. Just seems a little cult like to me.

TIME magazine ran an aricle in their 1991, May 6th issue entitled, "Scientology - The Cult of Greed". You can find the article by doing a web search. Very interesting reading.

Anybody out there care to educate us otherwise?

anonymous

lol claudette, have you seen this? <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.members.westnet.com.au/ktaylor/tomcruise.gif">"tom cruise zapping oprah"</a> as someone said "what is he trying to do? drive her shoulders into her torso?"

kybert who is too lazy to sign in right now

JazzysMom

Oprah ADORES Tom Cruise. She has said that time & time again before even was on the most recent time. I love Oprah, but I think she really fed the whole "Love" thing I little much encouraging him to be more annoying then he might have been.

anonymous

Just an FYI. I saw results of a poll last night on CNN, Fox News, or one of those stations.
Anyway, 78% of people polled said that his image has been damaged over the whole Matt Lauer/Scientology ordeal. Just thought that was interesting.
Elle