TOO SOON?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We switched to simply saline, which is an aerosol -- comes in .9% and 3%. Mainly because with regular saline, it ended up acting like a bulb syringe and sucking his boogies back into the chamber. Bleah! With this stuff the stream is a lot milder, although he didn't really like it at first. Now he's figured out how to adminster it himself -- probably 'cuz the saline runs out of his nose and he sticks his tongue out. Toddlers -- bleah! But that's what we've been using lately. I can get the regular simply saline .9% at walmart and have ordered the 3% (blue container) of Simply Saline online, though my mom has gotten it at the Target pharmacy for herself.

IMO, socialization is so important, too. One of our fears when DS was first diagnosed was that he'd be the lonely, sickly boy that no one would play with. He's soooo outgoing and soooo social, so if he's able to participate in preschool, etc. we send him.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter goes to nursery school two times a week. When she first started in the fall, she caught every cold/stomach bug/virus going around. She went on 2 rounds of oral Zyvox and then we had the winter/Christmas break and things have settled down. Lots of yucky stuff is/has been going around our schools; chicken pox/RSV/that awful stomach bug etc. So far, Maggie has just caught 2 runny nose colds and pulled through without her big gun anti's. Our communtity and nursery staff are very careful about their germs around Maggie, they use Purell and I donated some Lysol wipes to the school. Also, everyone is always telling me what theri kid has and most people try to either give me a heads up about what is going around or keep their kid home from school. So Maggie really has only missed a few days of school, I sent her when she was on the zyvox(she only goes half days anyway) If Maggie is really tired, or coming down with something I keep her home. Also, I think it's very, very important to keep our kids with CF well-hydrated especially when they are on anti's. Sometimes kids forget to drink, so tell the teachers to remind your child to drink. I send in a special water/drink bottle in that's fun to drink out of. Label it and make sure the teachers leave it up high so no other child trys to drink out of it. also, if your child is on anti's let the teachers know that he may need to use the potty more often and not make them wait.

I also use Simply saline on a regular basis with Maggie and feel it has helped.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter goes to nursery school two times a week. When she first started in the fall, she caught every cold/stomach bug/virus going around. She went on 2 rounds of oral Zyvox and then we had the winter/Christmas break and things have settled down. Lots of yucky stuff is/has been going around our schools; chicken pox/RSV/that awful stomach bug etc. So far, Maggie has just caught 2 runny nose colds and pulled through without her big gun anti's. Our communtity and nursery staff are very careful about their germs around Maggie, they use Purell and I donated some Lysol wipes to the school. Also, everyone is always telling me what theri kid has and most people try to either give me a heads up about what is going around or keep their kid home from school. So Maggie really has only missed a few days of school, I sent her when she was on the zyvox(she only goes half days anyway) If Maggie is really tired, or coming down with something I keep her home. Also, I think it's very, very important to keep our kids with CF well-hydrated especially when they are on anti's. Sometimes kids forget to drink, so tell the teachers to remind your child to drink. I send in a special water/drink bottle in that's fun to drink out of. Label it and make sure the teachers leave it up high so no other child trys to drink out of it. also, if your child is on anti's let the teachers know that he may need to use the potty more often and not make them wait.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MOME2RT</b></i>
Today he finally feels like going... I know its good to build his immune system up but he just hasnt felt like going anywhere. </end quote></div>

Question answered. If he didn't feel like going before, but he does now, let him go.

As for when we go back to school or whatever after antibiotics... I go to school on them. Whether they're oral or IVs, as long as I'm not in the hospital, I go to school.

Emily65Roses

Today he finally feels like going... I know its good to build his immune system up but he just hasnt felt like going anywhere. </end quote></div>

Question answered. If he didn't feel like going before, but he does now, let him go.

As for when we go back to school or whatever after antibiotics... I go to school on them. Whether they're oral or IVs, as long as I'm not in the hospital, I go to school.

Emily65Roses

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a link for simply saline. I used to get it from here 'cuz they had free shipping, but I've been able to find it locally. Here's what it looks like. The 3% is in a blue container and I think it's labeled for sinus issues.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.drugstore.com/qxp148008_334918_sespider/simply_saline/sterile_saline_nasal_mist_super_size.htm">http://www.drugstore.com/qxp14...al_mist_super_size.htm</a>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a link for simply saline. I used to get it from here 'cuz they had free shipping, but I've been able to find it locally. Here's what it looks like. The 3% is in a blue container and I think it's labeled for sinus issues.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.drugstore.com/qxp148008_334918_sespider/simply_saline/sterile_saline_nasal_mist_super_size.htm">http://www.drugstore.com/qxp14...al_mist_super_size.htm</a>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

COLTONSMOM

My son Colton has been out of school since Thanksgiving break also. We were admitted to the hospital the day after Christmas and spent 2 weeks. Now that we are home he's really not feeling much better. We are rethinking the school thing also. The hard part is that he loves school and his friends. He goes to a very small school and is in 2nd grade. Big sister goes to the same school but in a different building (she is in jr high) and she comes home and tells him that everyone misses him at school. I just don't know if home school would be good or if he would feel like he is missing out?

COLTONSMOM

My son Colton has been out of school since Thanksgiving break also. We were admitted to the hospital the day after Christmas and spent 2 weeks. Now that we are home he's really not feeling much better. We are rethinking the school thing also. The hard part is that he loves school and his friends. He goes to a very small school and is in 2nd grade. Big sister goes to the same school but in a different building (she is in jr high) and she comes home and tells him that everyone misses him at school. I just don't know if home school would be good or if he would feel like he is missing out?

COLTONSMOM