Total Frontal Sinus Obliteration

After 19 sinus surgeries and seeing my ENT at least once a week for the past 3 years my doctor told me Monday he thinks it is time.
We have been fighting MRSA in my sinuses and my lungs for 3 years. He thinks the sinus issues are "feeding" the lung problems. He has been trying to avoid this (as have I) but he is now strongly recommending the surgery.
I've heard some pretty frightening things regarding this procedure and am looking for advice, feedback, personal experiences, etc.
Good or bad... I want to know.
I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Dave

After 19 sinus surgeries and seeing my ENT at least once a week for the past 3 years my doctor told me Monday he thinks it is time.
We have been fighting MRSA in my sinuses and my lungs for 3 years. He thinks the sinus issues are "feeding" the lung problems. He has been trying to avoid this (as have I) but he is now strongly recommending the surgery.
I've heard some pretty frightening things regarding this procedure and am looking for advice, feedback, personal experiences, etc.
Thanks,
Dave

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks,
Dave

<br />We have been fighting MRSA in my sinuses and my lungs for 3 years. He thinks the sinus issues are "feeding" the lung problems. He has been trying to avoid this (as have I) but he is now strongly recommending the surgery.
<br />I've heard some pretty frightening things regarding this procedure and am looking for advice, feedback, personal experiences, etc.
<br />Good or bad... I want to know.
<br />I appreciate any feedback.
<br />Thanks,
<br />Dave

coltsfan715

Sorry to say I have no information on this I just know if it is what it sounds like ... where they basically destroy your frontal sinuses so they no longer function as sinus cavities then it may help.

For me I have had 1 sinus surgery and was informed when I was going through CT scans and such to prepare for that surgery that my frontal sinuses never developed. I only have 3 sinus cavities apparently. I was told by my doc that it is not overly common but that it had probably helped me prevent from having more sinus issues than I already had.

I hope that someone is able to give you some information and that if you do have this procedure that all goes well and you see the needed improvement. Also to add I still have MRSA in my sinuses though my frontal sinuses are not there the good thing though is the MRSA has not been found in my new lungs since my transplant so who knows.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Sorry to say I have no information on this I just know if it is what it sounds like ... where they basically destroy your frontal sinuses so they no longer function as sinus cavities then it may help.

For me I have had 1 sinus surgery and was informed when I was going through CT scans and such to prepare for that surgery that my frontal sinuses never developed. I only have 3 sinus cavities apparently. I was told by my doc that it is not overly common but that it had probably helped me prevent from having more sinus issues than I already had.

I hope that someone is able to give you some information and that if you do have this procedure that all goes well and you see the needed improvement. Also to add I still have MRSA in my sinuses though my frontal sinuses are not there the good thing though is the MRSA has not been found in my new lungs since my transplant so who knows.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />For me I have had 1 sinus surgery and was informed when I was going through CT scans and such to prepare for that surgery that my frontal sinuses never developed. I only have 3 sinus cavities apparently. I was told by my doc that it is not overly common but that it had probably helped me prevent from having more sinus issues than I already had.
<br />
<br />I hope that someone is able to give you some information and that if you do have this procedure that all goes well and you see the needed improvement. Also to add I still have MRSA in my sinuses though my frontal sinuses are not there the good thing though is the MRSA has not been found in my new lungs since my transplant so who knows.
<br />
<br />Lindsey

PepperKitty

I would not recommend sinus obliteration surgery to anyone! My surgery in 2000 had severe complications & only made my forehead sinuses worse!
The CF doctors say my sinuses could make my lungs worse, & it makes sense, but I'm not a good judge. Sometimes my lungs get worse, even though my sinuses don't. In general, people with CF don't have a problem with their frontal sinuses because they never develope them.
What kind of sinuses surgeries have you had?
I'd be happy to try & answer any questions!

PepperKitty

I would not recommend sinus obliteration surgery to anyone! My surgery in 2000 had severe complications & only made my forehead sinuses worse!
The CF doctors say my sinuses could make my lungs worse, & it makes sense, but I'm not a good judge. Sometimes my lungs get worse, even though my sinuses don't. In general, people with CF don't have a problem with their frontal sinuses because they never develope them.

PepperKitty

PepperKitty

PepperKitty

Spartan936

I had the surgery done last july. Not as dramatic or as painful as it sounds. So far, it seems to have eliminated most of my infections, and my ENT doesn't expect my sinuses ever to be a serious problem again. But it's incredibly important to keep doing sinus irrigations three or four times per day after the surgery, or else the gunk won't drain.

My surgery was done by a Dr. Weymuller in Seattle. Great guy. Everything I was afraid of turned out to be not a big deal at all. Despite the horror stories, the success rate is very high, and it's very dependant on your condition before the surgery.

So, if you like and trust your ENT, and you're confident in the surgeon doing the procedure, I say go for it. If you can stop that infected flow to your lungs, then your overall health will improve.

Spartan936

I had the surgery done last july. Not as dramatic or as painful as it sounds. So far, it seems to have eliminated most of my infections, and my ENT doesn't expect my sinuses ever to be a serious problem again. But it's incredibly important to keep doing sinus irrigations three or four times per day after the surgery, or else the gunk won't drain.

My surgery was done by a Dr. Weymuller in Seattle. Great guy. Everything I was afraid of turned out to be not a big deal at all. Despite the horror stories, the success rate is very high, and it's very dependant on your condition before the surgery.

So, if you like and trust your ENT, and you're confident in the surgeon doing the procedure, I say go for it. If you can stop that infected flow to your lungs, then your overall health will improve.

Spartan936

Spartan936

Spartan936