Transplants

Transplantmommy

Well, in my Transplant thread, someone asked me if I had any advice for those of you who are going to be going through all of this. Lets see if I can give some advice.....

1. Ask a lot of questions and don't be afraid to ask. The doctors normally do have answers for you. Ask questions like how they decide to list you, what will happen during the surgery, how long you will have to stay in the area afterwards (you have to find some sort of housing and have to have this planned out), how they will control your pain, things like that. I'm sure that I could answer some of them but everyone is different.

2. The moment you are listed....be prepared for the call!! I know a couple of people who were listed and then called within only hours. Then there are others who wait a while (I waited 5 months) but you still have to be ready. If you have kids, plan on who will take them. Have a phone tree set up....once you get the call, call your first person on the list (probably your parents or some sort of relative i would assume) but ask them not to call the other people on the list until someone calls them and says that you are actually in surgery (reason listed next).

3. There is something called a dry run. This is where you are called and told to get to the hospital because they have the organs and when you get there and they get all of the testing done on the organs, they could be no good and you could be sent home. You don't want to get people all hyped up and then let them down (especially if it's in the middle of the night). There are some people who get as far as the operating table and then the organs are found to be no good.

4. Have a plan on how you are going to get to the hospital when you get the call.....especially if you live far away! We had it set up to where I would go to an airport near here and I would have a med-flight pick me up and take me to the hospital since I live 6 hours away. For me, it was actually really good that I was already at the hospital because we were in the middle of a terrible snow storm and I wouldn't have made it to the hospital in time. I wouldn't have been able to fly because of the snow and it would have taken forever to drive. I would have missed that opportunity!

5. Be prepared to possibly have to go through therapy after the Tx, have tons of tests done, be in pain, wake up with a vent, have tubes all over the place, possible hallucinate from the medications, not be able to eat for a while (took me 5 days to be able to eat or them let me eat anything for that matter), and probably a few other things.

This is what I can think of off of the top of my head. If I can think of anything else I will post it or if anyone has questions, just ask!!!

Transplantmommy

Well, in my Transplant thread, someone asked me if I had any advice for those of you who are going to be going through all of this. Lets see if I can give some advice.....

1. Ask a lot of questions and don't be afraid to ask. The doctors normally do have answers for you. Ask questions like how they decide to list you, what will happen during the surgery, how long you will have to stay in the area afterwards (you have to find some sort of housing and have to have this planned out), how they will control your pain, things like that. I'm sure that I could answer some of them but everyone is different.

2. The moment you are listed....be prepared for the call!! I know a couple of people who were listed and then called within only hours. Then there are others who wait a while (I waited 5 months) but you still have to be ready. If you have kids, plan on who will take them. Have a phone tree set up....once you get the call, call your first person on the list (probably your parents or some sort of relative i would assume) but ask them not to call the other people on the list until someone calls them and says that you are actually in surgery (reason listed next).

3. There is something called a dry run. This is where you are called and told to get to the hospital because they have the organs and when you get there and they get all of the testing done on the organs, they could be no good and you could be sent home. You don't want to get people all hyped up and then let them down (especially if it's in the middle of the night). There are some people who get as far as the operating table and then the organs are found to be no good.

4. Have a plan on how you are going to get to the hospital when you get the call.....especially if you live far away! We had it set up to where I would go to an airport near here and I would have a med-flight pick me up and take me to the hospital since I live 6 hours away. For me, it was actually really good that I was already at the hospital because we were in the middle of a terrible snow storm and I wouldn't have made it to the hospital in time. I wouldn't have been able to fly because of the snow and it would have taken forever to drive. I would have missed that opportunity!

5. Be prepared to possibly have to go through therapy after the Tx, have tons of tests done, be in pain, wake up with a vent, have tubes all over the place, possible hallucinate from the medications, not be able to eat for a while (took me 5 days to be able to eat or them let me eat anything for that matter), and probably a few other things.

This is what I can think of off of the top of my head. If I can think of anything else I will post it or if anyone has questions, just ask!!!

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />1. Ask a lot of questions and don't be afraid to ask. The doctors normally do have answers for you. Ask questions like how they decide to list you, what will happen during the surgery, how long you will have to stay in the area afterwards (you have to find some sort of housing and have to have this planned out), how they will control your pain, things like that. I'm sure that I could answer some of them but everyone is different.
<br />
<br />2. The moment you are listed....be prepared for the call!! I know a couple of people who were listed and then called within only hours. Then there are others who wait a while (I waited 5 months) but you still have to be ready. If you have kids, plan on who will take them. Have a phone tree set up....once you get the call, call your first person on the list (probably your parents or some sort of relative i would assume) but ask them not to call the other people on the list until someone calls them and says that you are actually in surgery (reason listed next).
<br />
<br />3. There is something called a dry run. This is where you are called and told to get to the hospital because they have the organs and when you get there and they get all of the testing done on the organs, they could be no good and you could be sent home. You don't want to get people all hyped up and then let them down (especially if it's in the middle of the night). There are some people who get as far as the operating table and then the organs are found to be no good.
<br />
<br />4. Have a plan on how you are going to get to the hospital when you get the call.....especially if you live far away! We had it set up to where I would go to an airport near here and I would have a med-flight pick me up and take me to the hospital since I live 6 hours away. For me, it was actually really good that I was already at the hospital because we were in the middle of a terrible snow storm and I wouldn't have made it to the hospital in time. I wouldn't have been able to fly because of the snow and it would have taken forever to drive. I would have missed that opportunity!
<br />
<br />5. Be prepared to possibly have to go through therapy after the Tx, have tons of tests done, be in pain, wake up with a vent, have tubes all over the place, possible hallucinate from the medications, not be able to eat for a while (took me 5 days to be able to eat or them let me eat anything for that matter), and probably a few other things.
<br />
<br />This is what I can think of off of the top of my head. If I can think of anything else I will post it or if anyone has questions, just ask!!!

lostindreamz

this is all fantastic information to have. we just got our packet in the mail from CC yesterday and Chris' consultation is 9/8 & 9/9. He's being very nonchalant about the whole thing. He still tells me that he doesn't want to be tranplanted because he doesn't want to have to change his lifestyle. I'm hoping that he'll really listen to the doctors and take what they have to say to heart.

lostindreamz

this is all fantastic information to have. we just got our packet in the mail from CC yesterday and Chris' consultation is 9/8 & 9/9. He's being very nonchalant about the whole thing. He still tells me that he doesn't want to be tranplanted because he doesn't want to have to change his lifestyle. I'm hoping that he'll really listen to the doctors and take what they have to say to heart.

lostindreamz

lostindreamz

lostindreamz

nicolaj

Thanks for your advice Patti. You got any advice about the mental side of being listed? Like how you stayed positive, and how to stop the nerves. Ive been listed for 5months now, and my way of coping is denial, that cant be good right!?

Nicola xx

nicolaj

Thanks for your advice Patti. You got any advice about the mental side of being listed? Like how you stayed positive, and how to stop the nerves. Ive been listed for 5months now, and my way of coping is denial, that cant be good right!?

Nicola xx

nicolaj

Nicola xx

nicolaj

Nicola xx

nicolaj

<br />
<br />Nicola xx

CountryGirl

nicolaj,

I dealed with my mental state by reading alot. I really reccommend Isa and Ana's book. "The Power Of Two" It is a great story and it ends happily.
I think you should just do anything you can to keep your mind off of it...though i know thats really difficult. Go to movies, watch up tv shows from past seasons...shopping!

Or also, poetry sometimes helped me.

I was about to give up the week they called me. Had those lungs came a week later, I woulda been in Texas. I waited a little under six months and thought I would never get the call...people told me that when you arent thinkin about getting it and you're on your last string, thats when it will come. And thats when mine came!

CountryGirl

nicolaj,

I dealed with my mental state by reading alot. I really reccommend Isa and Ana's book. "The Power Of Two" It is a great story and it ends happily.
I think you should just do anything you can to keep your mind off of it...though i know thats really difficult. Go to movies, watch up tv shows from past seasons...shopping!

I was about to give up the week they called me. Had those lungs came a week later, I woulda been in Texas. I waited a little under six months and thought I would never get the call...people told me that when you arent thinkin about getting it and you're on your last string, thats when it will come. And thats when mine came!

CountryGirl

nicolaj,

CountryGirl

nicolaj,

CountryGirl

nicolaj,
<br />
<br />I dealed with my mental state by reading alot. I really reccommend Isa and Ana's book. "The Power Of Two" It is a great story and it ends happily.
<br />I think you should just do anything you can to keep your mind off of it...though i know thats really difficult. Go to movies, watch up tv shows from past seasons...shopping!
<br />
<br />Or also, poetry sometimes helped me.
<br />
<br />I was about to give up the week they called me. Had those lungs came a week later, I woulda been in Texas. I waited a little under six months and thought I would never get the call...people told me that when you arent thinkin about getting it and you're on your last string, thats when it will come. And thats when mine came!
<br />
<br />