Travel - Help!

kmaried

Hi all,

I feel horribly trite for posting this message after crying my eyes out for a bit reading the last few threads. But, I do need some advice, and if I'm going to get good advice - here is the place.

At the end of this week I am travelling on business for one week and going to Singapore and Sydney. This makes me sooo nervous as I have not even been feeling great lately -- so I can't imagine a 24 hour plane ride, climate change, and 12/16 hour time difference is going to help that any... but that's beside the point.

I know there are some very worldly people on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone had any specific insights to customs in Singapore and Sydney. I will be travelling with a coworker who does not know about my CF, and I'd prefer not to divulge. (I only selectively tell people at work) I will be carrying some of my medicines in my carry-on, and some in my suitcase (nebulizers and all that). So - does anyone have experience with customs in either of those places? I have everything labeled with my prescription and a note from my Dr to boot if I have any trouble... but will I have any trouble? I can just imagine my coworker's eyes bugging out if some customs agents decided to tear through my suitcase and saw the pharmacy I will have in there...

Thanks all, health wishes, and still thinking of Debbie...
~Kris

25 w/CF and a host of related issues

kmaried

Hi all,

I feel horribly trite for posting this message after crying my eyes out for a bit reading the last few threads. But, I do need some advice, and if I'm going to get good advice - here is the place.

At the end of this week I am travelling on business for one week and going to Singapore and Sydney. This makes me sooo nervous as I have not even been feeling great lately -- so I can't imagine a 24 hour plane ride, climate change, and 12/16 hour time difference is going to help that any... but that's beside the point.

I know there are some very worldly people on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone had any specific insights to customs in Singapore and Sydney. I will be travelling with a coworker who does not know about my CF, and I'd prefer not to divulge. (I only selectively tell people at work) I will be carrying some of my medicines in my carry-on, and some in my suitcase (nebulizers and all that). So - does anyone have experience with customs in either of those places? I have everything labeled with my prescription and a note from my Dr to boot if I have any trouble... but will I have any trouble? I can just imagine my coworker's eyes bugging out if some customs agents decided to tear through my suitcase and saw the pharmacy I will have in there...

~Kris

kmaried

Hi all,

~Kris

kmaried

Hi all,

~Kris

kmaried

Hi all,

~Kris

kmaried

Hi all,

~Kris

Uli

Hi,
if you do really need to inhale, put everything plus all your medication in your carry-on-luggage. Suitcases can get lost for days and especially if you don´t feel too good already, you might definitly need to inhale immediatly after you arrive.
If you get health problems because you don´t have your medication "on hand" your coworker will for shure notice something is wrong...
My experience in Singapore was "absolutly normal", no special controls, but in Australia they did search also the carry-on-luggage with dogs for fresh fruit, meat, etc. So be shure not to have anything to eat in it and normally they don´t open it as long as the dog doesn´t bark.

Uli,45,Germany

Uli

Hi,
if you do really need to inhale, put everything plus all your medication in your carry-on-luggage. Suitcases can get lost for days and especially if you don´t feel too good already, you might definitly need to inhale immediatly after you arrive.
If you get health problems because you don´t have your medication "on hand" your coworker will for shure notice something is wrong...
My experience in Singapore was "absolutly normal", no special controls, but in Australia they did search also the carry-on-luggage with dogs for fresh fruit, meat, etc. So be shure not to have anything to eat in it and normally they don´t open it as long as the dog doesn´t bark.

Uli,45,Germany

Uli

Hi,

Uli,45,Germany

Uli

Hi,

Uli,45,Germany

Uli

Hi,

Uli,45,Germany

Uli

Hi,

Uli,45,Germany

kmaried

Thank you for your posts --

Hi Jenn!! I read your recent posts and I hope & pray everything is going better for you.... if you need to talk, you know you can always call!! I'm a nervous wreck about the trip as you can imagine... I'm not bringing my vest as it just isn't practical to lug around and I'm terrified to leave that thing for more than a day!

Uli -- Thank you. I heard Australia was strict. Do they go through your checked in bags out in the open? You must be quite a traveller!!

Thanks again,
Kris

kmaried

Thank you for your posts --

Hi Jenn!! I read your recent posts and I hope & pray everything is going better for you.... if you need to talk, you know you can always call!! I'm a nervous wreck about the trip as you can imagine... I'm not bringing my vest as it just isn't practical to lug around and I'm terrified to leave that thing for more than a day!

Uli -- Thank you. I heard Australia was strict. Do they go through your checked in bags out in the open? You must be quite a traveller!!

Thanks again,
Kris