Travel tips?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've picked up a couple compressors without going thru insurance for a good price, so we had one for travel. Think the devilbiss pulmoaid cost around $100 and I picked up a pari-proneb ultra II for $50 plus. WHen DS was first diagnosed, the DME charged our insurance $350+ for a pari proneb ultra -- Yikes!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've picked up a couple compressors without going thru insurance for a good price, so we had one for travel. Think the devilbiss pulmoaid cost around $100 and I picked up a pari-proneb ultra II for $50 plus. WHen DS was first diagnosed, the DME charged our insurance $350+ for a pari proneb ultra -- Yikes!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

mamaScarlett

I have only scanned over the replies to this post, so forgive me if I repeat anyone-If I repeat count it as confirmation of a great tip!

Hubby and I are well traveled-been to Europe, Middle east and beyond so speaking from experience here.

Flight check in will be longer than non cf travelers, be prepared and be early. Get a letter from your doc listing ALL medications, Vest, Compressor and nebs, syringes if you use them, ect. If there are pressing or rude questions at check in scanning-present the letters. This has helped me more than once.
It can also help if you lose a medication to bring that list to a doctor in the country you are visiting for replacement ect.

The Hillrom 104 vest is the BEST for travel. Lightweight, compact and compatible electrically. I have blown compressors, hairdryers, ect on many a trip even with the "right" power converters. It is not fun-and if it happens to the Vest it is expensive "not fun". If you don't have this upgrade vest yet, I'd seriously consider it. It only took me a few weeks to get mine.

For travel I have 2 compressors-invacare stratos portable (as fast as a regular neb) and an ionic neb. I love both. Bring extra inhalers too-for an on the go boost if you need it.

I bring sanitizing wipes on the plane, and pack purell in my luggage. Use it constantly. I do airborne the days leading up to my trip, and once every other day during my trip.

For me, I find that if I am stressed on a vaca, I get sick. So being prepared helps. Knowing my surroundings, doing my 'homework' ahead of time. And relax!!!

Packing simply helps to minimize the stress of travel. A couple outfits-comfy shoes-simple clothes means less washing to do, less re-packing and less stress. Enjoy your trip-getting sick or stressed over it is not worth it!

mamaScarlett

I have only scanned over the replies to this post, so forgive me if I repeat anyone-If I repeat count it as confirmation of a great tip!

Hubby and I are well traveled-been to Europe, Middle east and beyond so speaking from experience here.

Flight check in will be longer than non cf travelers, be prepared and be early. Get a letter from your doc listing ALL medications, Vest, Compressor and nebs, syringes if you use them, ect. If there are pressing or rude questions at check in scanning-present the letters. This has helped me more than once.
It can also help if you lose a medication to bring that list to a doctor in the country you are visiting for replacement ect.

The Hillrom 104 vest is the BEST for travel. Lightweight, compact and compatible electrically. I have blown compressors, hairdryers, ect on many a trip even with the "right" power converters. It is not fun-and if it happens to the Vest it is expensive "not fun". If you don't have this upgrade vest yet, I'd seriously consider it. It only took me a few weeks to get mine.

For travel I have 2 compressors-invacare stratos portable (as fast as a regular neb) and an ionic neb. I love both. Bring extra inhalers too-for an on the go boost if you need it.

I bring sanitizing wipes on the plane, and pack purell in my luggage. Use it constantly. I do airborne the days leading up to my trip, and once every other day during my trip.

For me, I find that if I am stressed on a vaca, I get sick. So being prepared helps. Knowing my surroundings, doing my 'homework' ahead of time. And relax!!!

Packing simply helps to minimize the stress of travel. A couple outfits-comfy shoes-simple clothes means less washing to do, less re-packing and less stress. Enjoy your trip-getting sick or stressed over it is not worth it!

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

<br />
<br />
<br />Hubby and I are well traveled-been to Europe, Middle east and beyond so speaking from experience here.
<br />
<br />Flight check in will be longer than non cf travelers, be prepared and be early. Get a letter from your doc listing ALL medications, Vest, Compressor and nebs, syringes if you use them, ect. If there are pressing or rude questions at check in scanning-present the letters. This has helped me more than once.
<br />It can also help if you lose a medication to bring that list to a doctor in the country you are visiting for replacement ect.
<br />
<br />The Hillrom 104 vest is the BEST for travel. Lightweight, compact and compatible electrically. I have blown compressors, hairdryers, ect on many a trip even with the "right" power converters. It is not fun-and if it happens to the Vest it is expensive "not fun". If you don't have this upgrade vest yet, I'd seriously consider it. It only took me a few weeks to get mine.
<br />
<br />For travel I have 2 compressors-invacare stratos portable (as fast as a regular neb) and an ionic neb. I love both. Bring extra inhalers too-for an on the go boost if you need it.
<br />
<br />I bring sanitizing wipes on the plane, and pack purell in my luggage. Use it constantly. I do airborne the days leading up to my trip, and once every other day during my trip.
<br />
<br />For me, I find that if I am stressed on a vaca, I get sick. So being prepared helps. Knowing my surroundings, doing my 'homework' ahead of time. And relax!!!
<br />
<br />Packing simply helps to minimize the stress of travel. A couple outfits-comfy shoes-simple clothes means less washing to do, less re-packing and less stress. Enjoy your trip-getting sick or stressed over it is not worth it!
<br />
<br />
<br />

Nightwriter

I have burned out nebulizers (and of course hairdryers) in both Italy and England. I didn't realize that most of the converters that you buy for ten bucks are for appliances that are below 100 watts. So first check to see what the wattage is for your vest and for whatever nebulizer you are planning on using.

Next, you may have to buy a stepup/step down transformer. I found a website that will have this info called Adaptelec.com. They have step up/step down voltage transformers for every country and you can call ask them about exactly what you will need.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.adaptelec.com/
">http://www.adaptelec.com/
</a>
I recently was in England and took my Pari Trek S. It comes with a cord that has dual voltage. With any nebulizer or appliance, you would still need an adaptor plug that allows it to fit into the wall socket that is unique to each country.

Before my trip, I checked online and found a local English pharmacy that carried nebulizers, just in case mine broke while I was there or if I needed a more powerful nebulizer for Tobi if I became ill. Just for your information, I did call Pari and asked if I could use the Trek for Tobi. They insisted that the particle size would remain the same although it would take longer. So the reports on this continue to be conflicting.

Anyway, pre-trip, I would advise you to check out some Italian pharmacies and prices in the town that you will be staying, just in case your nebulizer breaks. During one trip to England, after I had burned out my nebulizer, it cost me $500 because I didn't know where to go at the time.

I would also take along the Flutter (or something similar) in case the vest malfunctions.

I don't know what your accommodations are, but how are you going to clean your nebs? I'd also check ahead of time to see if there is a stove or microwave to boil your nebs. You can also buy baby bottle sterilizer bags for microwaving as one option.

Nightwriter

I have burned out nebulizers (and of course hairdryers) in both Italy and England. I didn't realize that most of the converters that you buy for ten bucks are for appliances that are below 100 watts. So first check to see what the wattage is for your vest and for whatever nebulizer you are planning on using.

Next, you may have to buy a stepup/step down transformer. I found a website that will have this info called Adaptelec.com. They have step up/step down voltage transformers for every country and you can call ask them about exactly what you will need.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.adaptelec.com/
</a>
I recently was in England and took my Pari Trek S. It comes with a cord that has dual voltage. With any nebulizer or appliance, you would still need an adaptor plug that allows it to fit into the wall socket that is unique to each country.

Before my trip, I checked online and found a local English pharmacy that carried nebulizers, just in case mine broke while I was there or if I needed a more powerful nebulizer for Tobi if I became ill. Just for your information, I did call Pari and asked if I could use the Trek for Tobi. They insisted that the particle size would remain the same although it would take longer. So the reports on this continue to be conflicting.

Anyway, pre-trip, I would advise you to check out some Italian pharmacies and prices in the town that you will be staying, just in case your nebulizer breaks. During one trip to England, after I had burned out my nebulizer, it cost me $500 because I didn't know where to go at the time.

I would also take along the Flutter (or something similar) in case the vest malfunctions.

I don't know what your accommodations are, but how are you going to clean your nebs? I'd also check ahead of time to see if there is a stove or microwave to boil your nebs. You can also buy baby bottle sterilizer bags for microwaving as one option.

Nightwriter

</a>

Nightwriter

</a>

Nightwriter

<br />I have burned out nebulizers (and of course hairdryers) in both Italy and England. I didn't realize that most of the converters that you buy for ten bucks are for appliances that are below 100 watts. So first check to see what the wattage is for your vest and for whatever nebulizer you are planning on using.
<br />
<br />Next, you may have to buy a stepup/step down transformer. I found a website that will have this info called Adaptelec.com. They have step up/step down voltage transformers for every country and you can call ask them about exactly what you will need.
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.adaptelec.com/
</a><br />
<br />I recently was in England and took my Pari Trek S. It comes with a cord that has dual voltage. With any nebulizer or appliance, you would still need an adaptor plug that allows it to fit into the wall socket that is unique to each country.
<br />
<br />Before my trip, I checked online and found a local English pharmacy that carried nebulizers, just in case mine broke while I was there or if I needed a more powerful nebulizer for Tobi if I became ill. Just for your information, I did call Pari and asked if I could use the Trek for Tobi. They insisted that the particle size would remain the same although it would take longer. So the reports on this continue to be conflicting.
<br />
<br />Anyway, pre-trip, I would advise you to check out some Italian pharmacies and prices in the town that you will be staying, just in case your nebulizer breaks. During one trip to England, after I had burned out my nebulizer, it cost me $500 because I didn't know where to go at the time.
<br />
<br />I would also take along the Flutter (or something similar) in case the vest malfunctions.
<br />
<br />I don't know what your accommodations are, but how are you going to clean your nebs? I'd also check ahead of time to see if there is a stove or microwave to boil your nebs. You can also buy baby bottle sterilizer bags for microwaving as one option.
<br />
<br />
<br />

juliepie

The only thing I can add is to learn how to say relevant medical terms in whatever language they speak in the countries you are visiting.

I ended up really sick when I did a semester in Spain and boy was I glad I had rehearsed an explanation of CF in Spanish!! The doctor I saw had never heard of it (not very common there and I was in a small town), so I pretty much just told him to prescribe me the strongest antibiotic he could. I also lost my inhaler on the plane ride and had to go into a pharmacy and explain the situation and what I needed. Knowing medication names in Spanish was a help there.

juliepie

The only thing I can add is to learn how to say relevant medical terms in whatever language they speak in the countries you are visiting.

I ended up really sick when I did a semester in Spain and boy was I glad I had rehearsed an explanation of CF in Spanish!! The doctor I saw had never heard of it (not very common there and I was in a small town), so I pretty much just told him to prescribe me the strongest antibiotic he could. I also lost my inhaler on the plane ride and had to go into a pharmacy and explain the situation and what I needed. Knowing medication names in Spanish was a help there.

juliepie

juliepie

juliepie

<br />
<br />I ended up really sick when I did a semester in Spain and boy was I glad I had rehearsed an explanation of CF in Spanish!! The doctor I saw had never heard of it (not very common there and I was in a small town), so I pretty much just told him to prescribe me the strongest antibiotic he could. I also lost my inhaler on the plane ride and had to go into a pharmacy and explain the situation and what I needed. Knowing medication names in Spanish was a help there.