Traveling with all of our meds/eqp :(

RayRDT

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to China shortly (for business) and I am wondering if you guys have any tips on how to make traveling easier with all the stuff we need to bring (healthwise). Like for example the sinus saline rinses : I do 3 per day. That would be 16 days in China x 3 bottles of pre-made Neilmed Sinus Rinse !!! HOLY COW !!! Can I carry this on a plane cause I can't take the risk of them losing my luggage ?! This would mean a carry-on suitcase only for this ! Making them over there worries me because I don't have a micro-wave to sterilize the bottles and we are told to use bottled water for pretty much everything (even to brush our teeth!). And I am afraid to put bacteria in there if I do it on site with all the constraints ...

Same thing for my inhaled antibios (washing, rinsing and sterilizing my nebs). I am worried because of the constraints (putting bacteria on my nebs). Everything I need for my antibios and my other meds would take up a second suitcase !! ... Sigh ... Can I carry on the plane 2 suitcases full of meds ??? I had initially thought of stopping my antibios upon leaving but I am afraid of not feeling well over there.

Any tips at all would be appreciated cause I am asking myself how will I make this work ...

RDT.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My understanding is airlines must allow carry one for all meds and free. Does your employer have office there? What about airmail box of stuff before you leave with staff assuring it got there. What about disposable new cups shipped ahead or packed? I'd start by reading FAA web to see legal requirements and then calling airline and ask to speak with someone well versed in flying internationally with med eqment to determine what you need to do ie get doctors not? Per-clear etc.

Imogene

Administrator
Hi Ray,
Do you speak Chinese? Where in China are you traveling. I ask because my son is in Chengdu. There is a big ex pat community there. He runs the Bookworm Restaurant.
http://www.chengdubookworm.com/
I'll ask Peter my husband to weigh in. We traveled there last September.
I hope you can stay safe, make great connections and enjoy the trip!
Jeanne

MichaelL

That sounds very challenging. Can you take the NeilMed rinse in powder form and buy a large bottle of distilled water? That's how I normally manage my sinus rinses.

I'm on long-term IV meds. I usually call ahead and tell the hotel that I need a refrigerator in my room for my IV bags. They've always accommodated me and not charged me for the fridge. Given your needs, can you do something similar to get a microwave in the room?

In terms of getting all your stuff through security, my doctor provides "travel letters" on request to show at the airport. It explains that I have CF and mentions the types of things I'll be carrying with me (e.g., syringes, saline, etc.). This helps getting through security, although they still wanted to see prescription labels on my bags of hypertonic saline.

I had heard that the airlines have to accommodate medical supplies and equipment. I have not traveled by air while on my IVs, so my supplies have been more manageable.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Could you pack a hot pot/electric kettle or deep fryer to boil water --- boiling water for 10 minutes to make it sterile?

erock77

I think you're packing way too much, 48 bottles of saline sounds overkill. I usually make my own sinus mix, 1 part baking soda to 2 parts sea salt. I put it in a single empty pill bottle (or 2), and bring a 1/2tsp measuring spoon, along w/ an empty neilmed bottle. Or just bring the packets, lighter and way less space. Just buy bottled or distilled water there, it's probably super cheap by the gallon. Heat 8oz up and presto! Sinus rinses for weeks! I bought a small heating element from the hardware store and a small steel mixing bowl, you can heat or even boil water with that if they don't have a microwave or stove. Maybe you can buy a microwave there too, or if in a hotel they may have one you can use.
When I travel I use the Pari Trek, it's super compact and has a battery. As far as sterilizing, you'll have to rinse with their water, and I guess just boil the nebs there.
I recommend travel pill cases for pills rather than lugging a dozen big bottles. (Except enzymes if you take a lot like me).
For airway clearance I'll bring an Acapella or handheld percussor.
I have travelled pretty regularly in the last decade. For trips under a week I've got it down to 1 carry-on and 1 backpack.
Radioshack, Fry's, best buy or any electronics savvy store should have power converters for you.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Are you bringing a vest along? If so I would check with the vest company as it's not just an issue of a converter, but you may need a power inverter of some sort.

Tisha

I've traveled all my life, even attended college abroad (in the States - I'm from Spain) so I'm used to carrying meds. With the old nebulizers it was really heavy, hence I adore the eFlow!! :)
I use a neti pot with plain salt, for sinus rinses. You could ask at the hotel to get boiled water to do the sinus rinse, so you avoid carrying pre-made solution (I didn't even think of using it! I use warm tap water, which in Sweden where I now live is perfectly safe to drink).
I carry my tablets in the carry-on, as well as any medication which is not a liquid. And carry a medical report so I have no problems at customs.
Good luck!

keefer11

I may be repeating what others have said but here is what I would do- bring a 220V hot water boiler(or call the hotel and see if they are provided in the room, often in Asian countries they have hat water boilers in the room) and boil bottled water if you can't find distiller water(distiller water may be hard to find so just buy bottled). You can also clean your nebulizers with this boiled bottled water. Also make sure you have a Pari trek or some other 220V nebulizer machine.

What part of China are you going to? Be careful of the pollution! I had a terrible time in Hanoi with the pollution and couldn't wait to get out of there. I wore a mask to help filter out pollutants but I have no idea if that actually helped.

If you are healthy and stable enough maybe talk to your doctor about skipping your inhaled antibiotics for that week. I would also talk to your doctor about getting Cipro that you can bring with you in case you get diarrhea. Also it might be good to bring an oral antibiotic in case you do get sick over there.

As for sanitizing, check to see if there is a microwave in the room and you can buy Munchkin or Medela sanitizing bags.

if you have any other concerns feel free to PM me.

H

hll124

My, then 15 year old, daughter went to Nepal on a school trip a couple of years ago, for 2 weeks. She had to use bottled water to rinse all her new gear too. They couldn't drink the water or let it anywhere near their mouths....the kids who accidentally did got rather sick. She was one of the few who was fine the whole time. She travelled with a baby bottle sterilizer to use each day on her neb gear, also using the bottled water. She had two small plastic bowls, one to wash her things in with soapy water, another to rinse the stuff - also using the bottled water. She carried her nebusiser on-board the plane with her, along with her tablets, hypertonic and tob. She had a letter from her doctor and only had to show it once, when she arrived in Nepal (we're in Australia). We've also travelled quite a bit, on cruises and overseas (Asia, France, USA) and never had an issue with taking all her stuff.....some trips have been for 4 and 6 weeks. There's a lot to carry, but you'll manage.