Traveling with the Vest

tindim1

Does anyone have any tips about shipping the Vest vs checking it with luggage on the airplane? I've heard it's easier to ship it overnight to where we are staying. My son has the old one that weighs a ton!

TinDim1

erock77

Do you mean the old one that's about 2ft tall? I'd be hesitant to ship it since it's heavy and probably has sensitive pieces in it. See if Hillrom has a roller case that will fit it. I've taken mine, which is the smaller 1ft tall version, the roller bag makes it easy. Get a Dr.'s note and you can take it through security and put it overhead (if the smaller version) or maybe check in with the strollers and such. Also... if your medical equipment is the reason you have extra bags, you can check your regular suitcase in free, at least one airline told me that.
I'd also say if it's just a weekend trip or a few days consider leaving it home and doing an alternative. There's chest pt, acapella, and other options that are much more portable.

ehtansky21

We just traveled with the huge/old vest. I carried that sucker all throughout 2 airports and I would suggest getting a little luggage trolley...they have them at target for $25. We were able to fit it in the overhead on one plane and we had to gate check it on another, due to it being too big for any storage space.
The benefit of taking it with you, is that there is no charge for medical equipment, we brough 2 vests, 2 nebulizer, a big storage bin of medical supplies and a smaller ice chest full of pulmozyme and were charged nothing.

blessings,
missa

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you looked into getting it replaced with the smaller version? The reason I ask is because DS' Vest Model 104 went out last month and I was talking with someone who still had the 80 pound beast and they were able to call and get it replaced with the 105. Doesn't hurt to ask....

D

Deb

I traveled with the old clunker vest for years. What a hassle. I put it on a rolling cart and took it on board to prevent the risk of damage. As others said, sometimes it will fit in the overhead and other times airlines have been good about storing it in a closet.
It took me several tries but I finally got the portable version. So much easier. Keep trying until you get one. If you get your doc to write a good letter about why you need the updated version it usually works.