Traveling

IVWinchester79

Okay, so I've started playing a sport for blind people called goalball. Once a year, around January, February, or March, they go to a tournament in Kalamazoo, Michigan from Friday to Monday.<br><br>Yesterday, one of my friends, who is captain of the girls' team, asked me a question that I never thought about until she asked. She asked if I was ever selected to go to the tournament, how would we all handle taking my CF and CFRD stuff with me since it's four days away from home? Plus Michigan is very cold around that time of year.<br><br>So this question is to get some answers for me and her. How do I handle taking everything? How would I handle meds that have to be in the fridge? Would four days without the vest kill me, or should I take it too? How do I handle the nebs and equipment? How would we handle my CF over there? What if I'm on the Cayston that month? What to do if something bad happens to me? Basically any tips at all that anyone can offer to put both of us at ease.<br><br>Oh, I live in Florida. So, yeah.

IVWinchester79

Okay, so I've started playing a sport for blind people called goalball. Once a year, around January, February, or March, they go to a tournament in Kalamazoo, Michigan from Friday to Monday.<br><br>Yesterday, one of my friends, who is captain of the girls' team, asked me a question that I never thought about until she asked. She asked if I was ever selected to go to the tournament, how would we all handle taking my CF and CFRD stuff with me since it's four days away from home? Plus Michigan is very cold around that time of year.<br><br>So this question is to get some answers for me and her. How do I handle taking everything? How would I handle meds that have to be in the fridge? Would four days without the vest kill me, or should I take it too? How do I handle the nebs and equipment? How would we handle my CF over there? What if I'm on the Cayston that month? What to do if something bad happens to me? Basically any tips at all that anyone can offer to put both of us at ease.<br><br>Oh, I live in Florida. So, yeah.

IVWinchester79

musclemania70

Oh my gosh. I can't believe you have CF on top of your blindness. What a challenge!

I have travelled far and wide with my equipment. Its a hassle but its worth it. I don't know how dependent you are on your treatments. If you feel yucky without vesting than don't go without it.

Travelling causes stress as does going new places. I would bring ALL things with you if I were you so you don't impair your immune system any more than it needs.

I have flown out of the country with my vest, nebs, nebulizers, meds, insulins and managed to do ok.
Its a challenge but nothing I'm sure you can't handle.

You seem pretty smart and determined not to let anything stand in your way.

musclemania70

Oh my gosh. I can't believe you have CF on top of your blindness. What a challenge!

I have travelled far and wide with my equipment. Its a hassle but its worth it. I don't know how dependent you are on your treatments. If you feel yucky without vesting than don't go without it.

Travelling causes stress as does going new places. I would bring ALL things with you if I were you so you don't impair your immune system any more than it needs.

I have flown out of the country with my vest, nebs, nebulizers, meds, insulins and managed to do ok.
Its a challenge but nothing I'm sure you can't handle.

You seem pretty smart and determined not to let anything stand in your way.

musclemania70

<br />
<br />I have travelled far and wide with my equipment. Its a hassle but its worth it. I don't know how dependent you are on your treatments. If you feel yucky without vesting than don't go without it.
<br />
<br />Travelling causes stress as does going new places. I would bring ALL things with you if I were you so you don't impair your immune system any more than it needs.
<br />
<br />I have flown out of the country with my vest, nebs, nebulizers, meds, insulins and managed to do ok.
<br />Its a challenge but nothing I'm sure you can't handle.
<br />
<br />You seem pretty smart and determined not to let anything stand in your way.

jamoncita

Hello! Just a few months ago I traveled to the East Coast for 3 weeks. I took my vest, regular neb, and cayston neb with me. On the first flight, I did take my vest, but I got comments from just about every security agent and flight attendant. On the rest of the flights, I checked the vest to make it easier for myself. That way I didn't have to lug it around, and I didn't have to continuously explain why I had an extra bag. I've heard of people wrapping the vest machine in bubble wrap to keep it from getting damaged. I once wrapped a small fleece blanket around it for the same reason. Whatever works!
As for the meds, I have to admit I don't always keep my meds cool. I know that must have some negative effect, but I'm not sure what, and I do it anyway. You could always pack a small insulated bag with some cool packs around your nebs. If there are mini fridges (or regular fridges) wherever you're going to stay you can re-freeze the packs and also refrigerate the meds.
Best of luck to you and happy traveling!

jamoncita

Hello! Just a few months ago I traveled to the East Coast for 3 weeks. I took my vest, regular neb, and cayston neb with me. On the first flight, I did take my vest, but I got comments from just about every security agent and flight attendant. On the rest of the flights, I checked the vest to make it easier for myself. That way I didn't have to lug it around, and I didn't have to continuously explain why I had an extra bag. I've heard of people wrapping the vest machine in bubble wrap to keep it from getting damaged. I once wrapped a small fleece blanket around it for the same reason. Whatever works!
As for the meds, I have to admit I don't always keep my meds cool. I know that must have some negative effect, but I'm not sure what, and I do it anyway. You could always pack a small insulated bag with some cool packs around your nebs. If there are mini fridges (or regular fridges) wherever you're going to stay you can re-freeze the packs and also refrigerate the meds.
Best of luck to you and happy traveling!

jamoncita

<br />As for the meds, I have to admit I don't always keep my meds cool. I know that must have some negative effect, but I'm not sure what, and I do it anyway. You could always pack a small insulated bag with some cool packs around your nebs. If there are mini fridges (or regular fridges) wherever you're going to stay you can re-freeze the packs and also refrigerate the meds.
<br />Best of luck to you and happy traveling!

saveferris2009

These are for traveling internationally, but you may find a few useful tips anyway:

http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/2008/12/international-travel-tips.html

saveferris2009

These are for traveling internationally, but you may find a few useful tips anyway:

http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/2008/12/international-travel-tips.html

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />
<br />http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/2008/12/international-travel-tips.html

IVWinchester79

<br>I always wondered how many blind CFers I could try and find. It's fascinating. Sometimes it's a challenge, like the settings on the vest, someone has to do it for me. And now they've given me Colostin, which I see no way for me to do by myself. And I can't exactly see the color of whatever I cough up. But mostly I try not to let it hold me back as much as I can.

IVWinchester79

<br>I always wondered how many blind CFers I could try and find. It's fascinating. Sometimes it's a challenge, like the settings on the vest, someone has to do it for me. And now they've given me Colostin, which I see no way for me to do by myself. And I can't exactly see the color of whatever I cough up. But mostly I try not to let it hold me back as much as I can.

IVWinchester79