Travelling makes me sick

Andi2007

I've come home sick now after two vacations. I take my nebs with me and try to do airway clearance, although it's not the same as being at home and doing the vest.

Any tips/suggestions for staying well while travelling?

Thanks.

Andi2007

I've come home sick now after two vacations. I take my nebs with me and try to do airway clearance, although it's not the same as being at home and doing the vest.

Thanks.

Andi2007

Thanks.

Andi2007

Thanks.

Andi2007

<br />
<br />Any tips/suggestions for staying well while travelling?
<br />
<br />Thanks.

Nightwriter

I just came back from a 2 week trip from England and it was the first time that I did NOT get sick on a big trip. In fact, I had even stopped traveling abroad altogether 10 years ago. My travel photos would be like, "Here I am getting pneumonia in Rome. And here I am at the Eiffel tower short of breath. And this here is the doctor in Bombay who prescribed Cipro..." I didn't want to risk hospitalizations anymore.

So what did I do differently this time?

In addition to doing all my regular treatments---I stayed out of the big cities, I did a nasal rinse twice a day, I'd use the Flutter while driving anywhere, and probably the single most important factor was -- I brought along a 3M charcoal mask.

When I'm traveling, I don't wear it all the time. But if I am walking by or in traffic, I wear it. Or if it is cold or windy. Car, truck, and bus fumes always start the exacerbation thing. I avoid places with strong fragrances like botanical gardens, shoe stores, subways, or smokey places of any kind --or wear the mask if I go to these places.

I know exactly what set me off during my other trips and I was determined for it not to happen again. And if people stare at the mask, who cares? I'll never see any of them again. Maybe they think it's Michael Jackson.

During my recent trip, I had one incident where I did not want to wear a mask and I got into a bit of trouble. I was staying in a small village in Devon where I attended a "family fun day." The events took place on a freshly cut lawn. I felt stupid wearing the mask in front of my boyfriend's family and friends so I skipped the mask. The next day, several people had hay fever, but for me it affected my lungs. I had blood streaking, lots of mucus and I knew I was in danger of getting sick. I stayed in for a day or two-- doubling up on neb treatments etc. and the rest of the trip was great. This is what I'm talking about. Know what makes you sick, avoid it, and you can travel without getting sick.

The other thing that I do is wear an air purifyer around my neck on the plane. And if I sit next to anyone that's sick, I change seats.

I also take with me a small arsonal of very effective cold remedies, so that if I feel like I'm getting a cold, I can stop it immediately. This is what I take -- Airborne, zinc lozenges, Zicam, Afrin or Dristan (to stop any post nasal dripping). No cold, no bronchitis.

And lastly, if I can stay in a place that has wood floors, rather than carpets, I book that. I cover their pillowcase with my own allergy barrier pillowcase. You can also ask them if they use harsh chemicals to clean the room, to please do it early in the A.M. and air out the room by opening the windows.

Maybe this all sounds like a bit much, but that I got to travel again after all these years, and not get sick, I feel like the world has once again opened. And now my photos are, "Here I am wearing a mask on a motorcycle in Devon..."

Nightwriter

I just came back from a 2 week trip from England and it was the first time that I did NOT get sick on a big trip. In fact, I had even stopped traveling abroad altogether 10 years ago. My travel photos would be like, "Here I am getting pneumonia in Rome. And here I am at the Eiffel tower short of breath. And this here is the doctor in Bombay who prescribed Cipro..." I didn't want to risk hospitalizations anymore.

In addition to doing all my regular treatments---I stayed out of the big cities, I did a nasal rinse twice a day, I'd use the Flutter while driving anywhere, and probably the single most important factor was -- I brought along a 3M charcoal mask.

When I'm traveling, I don't wear it all the time. But if I am walking by or in traffic, I wear it. Or if it is cold or windy. Car, truck, and bus fumes always start the exacerbation thing. I avoid places with strong fragrances like botanical gardens, shoe stores, subways, or smokey places of any kind --or wear the mask if I go to these places.

I know exactly what set me off during my other trips and I was determined for it not to happen again. And if people stare at the mask, who cares? I'll never see any of them again. Maybe they think it's Michael Jackson.

During my recent trip, I had one incident where I did not want to wear a mask and I got into a bit of trouble. I was staying in a small village in Devon where I attended a "family fun day." The events took place on a freshly cut lawn. I felt stupid wearing the mask in front of my boyfriend's family and friends so I skipped the mask. The next day, several people had hay fever, but for me it affected my lungs. I had blood streaking, lots of mucus and I knew I was in danger of getting sick. I stayed in for a day or two-- doubling up on neb treatments etc. and the rest of the trip was great. This is what I'm talking about. Know what makes you sick, avoid it, and you can travel without getting sick.

The other thing that I do is wear an air purifyer around my neck on the plane. And if I sit next to anyone that's sick, I change seats.

I also take with me a small arsonal of very effective cold remedies, so that if I feel like I'm getting a cold, I can stop it immediately. This is what I take -- Airborne, zinc lozenges, Zicam, Afrin or Dristan (to stop any post nasal dripping). No cold, no bronchitis.

And lastly, if I can stay in a place that has wood floors, rather than carpets, I book that. I cover their pillowcase with my own allergy barrier pillowcase. You can also ask them if they use harsh chemicals to clean the room, to please do it early in the A.M. and air out the room by opening the windows.

Maybe this all sounds like a bit much, but that I got to travel again after all these years, and not get sick, I feel like the world has once again opened. And now my photos are, "Here I am wearing a mask on a motorcycle in Devon..."

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />So what did I do differently this time?
<br />
<br />In addition to doing all my regular treatments---I stayed out of the big cities, I did a nasal rinse twice a day, I'd use the Flutter while driving anywhere, and probably the single most important factor was -- I brought along a 3M charcoal mask.
<br />
<br />When I'm traveling, I don't wear it all the time. But if I am walking by or in traffic, I wear it. Or if it is cold or windy. Car, truck, and bus fumes always start the exacerbation thing. I avoid places with strong fragrances like botanical gardens, shoe stores, subways, or smokey places of any kind --or wear the mask if I go to these places.
<br />
<br />I know exactly what set me off during my other trips and I was determined for it not to happen again. And if people stare at the mask, who cares? I'll never see any of them again. Maybe they think it's Michael Jackson.
<br />
<br />During my recent trip, I had one incident where I did not want to wear a mask and I got into a bit of trouble. I was staying in a small village in Devon where I attended a "family fun day." The events took place on a freshly cut lawn. I felt stupid wearing the mask in front of my boyfriend's family and friends so I skipped the mask. The next day, several people had hay fever, but for me it affected my lungs. I had blood streaking, lots of mucus and I knew I was in danger of getting sick. I stayed in for a day or two-- doubling up on neb treatments etc. and the rest of the trip was great. This is what I'm talking about. Know what makes you sick, avoid it, and you can travel without getting sick.
<br />
<br />The other thing that I do is wear an air purifyer around my neck on the plane. And if I sit next to anyone that's sick, I change seats.
<br />
<br />I also take with me a small arsonal of very effective cold remedies, so that if I feel like I'm getting a cold, I can stop it immediately. This is what I take -- Airborne, zinc lozenges, Zicam, Afrin or Dristan (to stop any post nasal dripping). No cold, no bronchitis.
<br />
<br />And lastly, if I can stay in a place that has wood floors, rather than carpets, I book that. I cover their pillowcase with my own allergy barrier pillowcase. You can also ask them if they use harsh chemicals to clean the room, to please do it early in the A.M. and air out the room by opening the windows.
<br />
<br />Maybe this all sounds like a bit much, but that I got to travel again after all these years, and not get sick, I feel like the world has once again opened. And now my photos are, "Here I am wearing a mask on a motorcycle in Devon..."

allie5

"The other thing that I do is wear an air purifyer around my neck on the plane. And if I sit next to anyone that's sick, I change seats"

What exactly is this and where do I get one for my daughter? We might be flying for the first time this year and I'm really nervous about her getting sick from being on a plane.

Thanks! Amy

allie5

"The other thing that I do is wear an air purifyer around my neck on the plane. And if I sit next to anyone that's sick, I change seats"

What exactly is this and where do I get one for my daughter? We might be flying for the first time this year and I'm really nervous about her getting sick from being on a plane.

Thanks! Amy

allie5

Thanks! Amy

allie5

Thanks! Amy

allie5

<br />
<br />What exactly is this and where do I get one for my daughter? We might be flying for the first time this year and I'm really nervous about her getting sick from being on a plane.
<br />
<br />Thanks! Amy
<br />