Tricare insurance supplements

Beccamom

Anyone using Tricare military insurance? We have had Tricare Prime and will be required to switch to Tricare Reserve Select. Anyone buy a supplemental insurance? What is the catch regarding supplemental insurance? Does the supplemental insurance you have cover Durable Medical Equipment. We will lose our insurance when I have 5 more months to pay for my vest.

sierradavis

We are active duty so our kids are Tricare Prime. We did have my middle child on standard for a few months and the copays were really cheap but that is for my child without CF. And I never had to have anything besides well baby check ups. Are you near a Military Hospital? Portsmouth has a Tricare office with personnel that were able to answer my basic questions but also our social worker in the CF clinic knows alot about insurance options. That may be another person to go to. We have an appointment next week so if you still have questions then let me know and I can ask! Sorry I can't be more help!

Beccamom

Thank you for posting I will ask my social worker at CF clinic.

We are active duty so our kids are Tricare Prime. We did have my middle child on standard for a few months and the copays were really cheap but that is for my child without CF. And I never had to have anything besides well baby check ups. Are you near a Military Hospital? Portsmouth has a Tricare office with personnel that were able to answer my basic questions but also our social worker in the CF clinic knows alot about insurance options. That may be another person to go to. We have an appointment next week so if you still have questions then let me know and I can ask! Sorry I can't be more help!

Liza

If your husband is an officer, check into MOAA's supplement, Mediplus. We purchased this when my husband retired from the AF. You have to become a member of MOAA then can purchase the Mediplus. It's been so very worth it! I don't know the criteria other than you have to be an officer. It takes up after TriCare. We went to TriCare Prime after retirement because we wanted exactly what we had while active duty. We get reimbursed for all doctor's visits, automatically and if I wasn't so lazy at submitting the paperwork for prescriptions, we'd get reimbursed for all filled at an in network pharmacy too. Instead we just use that expense for our tax deductions. It's definantly worth it. Yes, to the DME too. Hope you can find one that'll work for you.

Beccamom

Thank you my husband is an officer and already a MOAA member. I called and they will even waive the pre existing conditions clause if we add the supplement within 30 days of switching Tricare Prime to Tricare Reserve Select.

It looks like they will cover my portion of my vest. Thanks so much for posting. This will save us a bundle.

If your husband is an officer, check into MOAA's supplement, Mediplus. We purchased this when my husband retired from the AF. You have to become a member of MOAA then can purchase the Mediplus. It's been so very worth it! I don't know the criteria other than you have to be an officer. It takes up after TriCare. We went to TriCare Prime after retirement because we wanted exactly what we had while active duty. We get reimbursed for all doctor's visits, automatically and if I wasn't so lazy at submitting the paperwork for prescriptions, we'd get reimbursed for all filled at an in network pharmacy too. Instead we just use that expense for our tax deductions. It's definantly worth it. Yes, to the DME too. Hope you can find one that'll work for you.

Liza

I'm so glad you are able to purchase their supplement. We/my husband, became a lifetime member of MOAA so that we'd never forget to renew and it was not outrageous to just pay the lifetime membership.

Beccamom

Thank you for the tip about lifetime membership.

Did you find anything not covered as a retiree that was a covered service on Tricare Prime. So far I see hearing aides are covered on Prime and not on Tricare reserve select. Of course I have a 25 on all frequencies and 26 or greater loss is covered by Prime. My hearing is slowly decreasing.

I'm so glad you are able to purchase their supplement. We/my husband, became a lifetime member of MOAA so that we'd never forget to renew and it was not outrageous to just pay the lifetime membership.

Liza

We purchased TriCare Prime when my husband retired. So everything would remain the same from A/D to retiree status. Since we were primarily concerned about our two daughters, we didn't look into much outside of their CF care. FYI, transplant is covered at 100%! We paid zero, out of pocket for a 3/4 of million dollar expense. We hit our catastrophic cap every year the year my oldest received her first tx. By year, I mean fiscal year. For example, the fiscal year starts over 1 Oct. we hit our cap in June that year and each year after that, we hit it a little earlier. When you hit your cap, your out of pocket expenses are zero, clinic visits, prescriptions etc. We had never hit our cap before that year and didn't know anything about what happens when you do, so it was a surprise when we went to the pharmacy and there was no charge. I called TriCare and they explained it to me. I highly advise, if available to you with reserve select, utilize the mail order pharmacy for meds that they carry. If you haven't noticed, the prices just went up on Feb. 1. My youngest daughter and her husband just discovered that little surprise when she had to get her inhalers filled at a network pharmacy instead of the base pharmacy, to the tune of $68 for two inhalers!

Beccamom

Yes we use mail order for all maintanence meds and our cost significantly decreased for medicine. Thank you for helping ease this transition. I am worried about hidden costs. I did notice the price went up whej I filled antibiotics this week. I am going to call walmart about the fre antibiotic program and see if our uncommon yet commonly used oral antibiotics would be free.

We purchased TriCare Prime when my husband retired. So everything would remain the same from A/D to retiree status. Since we were primarily concerned about our two daughters, we didn't look into much outside of their CF care. FYI, transplant is covered at 100%! We paid zero, out of pocket for a 3/4 of million dollar expense. We hit our catastrophic cap every year the year my oldest received her first tx. By year, I mean fiscal year. For example, the fiscal year starts over 1 Oct. we hit our cap in June that year and each year after that, we hit it a little earlier. When you hit your cap, your out of pocket expenses are zero, clinic visits, prescriptions etc. We had never hit our cap before that year and didn't know anything about what happens when you do, so it was a surprise when we went to the pharmacy and there was no charge. I called TriCare and they explained it to me. I highly advise, if available to you with reserve select, utilize the mail order pharmacy for meds that they carry. If you haven't noticed, the prices just went up on Feb. 1. My youngest daughter and her husband just discovered that little surprise when she had to get her inhalers filled at a network pharmacy instead of the base pharmacy, to the tune of $68 for two inhalers!

Liza

That info. would be interesting to know! I did not know they had a free antibiotic program! Will you post when you find out about it?

Beccamom

I looked on the Walmart website today and they no longer have the free antibiotic program listed. Instead they have a long list of $4 prescriptions. It is worth a look, but not specific to CF.

That info. would be interesting to know! I did not know they had a free antibiotic program! Will you post when you find out about it?