Trouble giving vitamins - advice?

briarrose

Hi again - <div><br></div><div>Our now one month old was just put on vitamins. (Starting with a half dose of 0.5 mL, going up to 1 mL.) We've been putting it in a bottle along with the salt. (He is breastfed, but gets one bottle a day that his father gives to him that contains the salt and now the vitamins.)</div><div><br></div><div>When it was just the salt, he'd take the bottle without a problem. Now that we've added the vitamins, he spits up everything he's just eaten as soon as he's done (including all the enzymes and applesauce.) </div><div><br></div><div>I would love some recommendations from others on how you got your infants to take (and keep down) their vitamins. (I don't think just putting it in his mouth doesn't work... I do that with the reflux medicine, and he usually just spits it out... over and over again.)</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you for your help.</div><div><br></div><div>Erin</div>

briarrose

Hi again -<br>Our now one month old was just put on vitamins. (Starting with a half dose of 0.5 mL, going up to 1 mL.) We've been putting it in a bottle along with the salt. (He is breastfed, but gets one bottle a day that his father gives to him that contains the salt and now the vitamins.)<br>When it was just the salt, he'd take the bottle without a problem. Now that we've added the vitamins, he spits up everything he's just eaten as soon as he's done (including all the enzymes and applesauce.)<br>I would love some recommendations from others on how you got your infants to take (and keep down) their vitamins. (I don't think just putting it in his mouth doesn't work... I do that with the reflux medicine, and he usually just spits it out... over and over again.)<br>Thank you for your help.<br>Erin

briarrose

Hi again -<br>Our now one month old was just put on vitamins. (Starting with a half dose of 0.5 mL, going up to 1 mL.) We've been putting it in a bottle along with the salt. (He is breastfed, but gets one bottle a day that his father gives to him that contains the salt and now the vitamins.)<br>When it was just the salt, he'd take the bottle without a problem. Now that we've added the vitamins, he spits up everything he's just eaten as soon as he's done (including all the enzymes and applesauce.)<br>I would love some recommendations from others on how you got your infants to take (and keep down) their vitamins. (I don't think just putting it in his mouth doesn't work... I do that with the reflux medicine, and he usually just spits it out... over and over again.)<br>Thank you for your help.<br>Erin

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We were told not to mix things in with the bottle of milk as DS might associate milk with yucky taste and refuse to eat. Friend of mine's daughter has that issue. We actually used a small nipple from a bottle and put the vitamins in it with a tiny amount of orange juice (or other juice) and he sucked them down. After he got used to them, I just used a teeny tiny 1 ml syringe rather than the dropper and squirted it in quickly.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We were told not to mix things in with the bottle of milk as DS might associate milk with yucky taste and refuse to eat. Friend of mine's daughter has that issue. We actually used a small nipple from a bottle and put the vitamins in it with a tiny amount of orange juice (or other juice) and he sucked them down. After he got used to them, I just used a teeny tiny 1 ml syringe rather than the dropper and squirted it in quickly.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

elliesmom

When my daughter was young we would put the vitamin in the vial and then put the vial on the side of mouth and as far back as we could without chocking, and then squirt the vitamin in. It would just slid down the throat. By the way-the same technique works on dogs and cats when you need to give them liquid meds. It really does work.

elliesmom

When my daughter was young we would put the vitamin in the vial and then put the vial on the side of mouth and as far back as we could without chocking, and then squirt the vitamin in. It would just slid down the throat. By the way-the same technique works on dogs and cats when you need to give them liquid meds. It really does work.

elliesmom

Kreg58

Our little one is 9 months old now, but when she was first prescribed vitamins at a month old, I had so much trouble giving her the very thick, strong flavored liquid version, that I requested an alternative. Her doctor prescribed the chewable version and a dose appropriate for her weight which was about 1/2 a chewable tablet per day. Obviously swallowing something of consistency is tough for an infant but it worked with practice. We use a mortar and pestle to carefully grind to a fine dust. We place in a little plastic cup provided by our CF clinic (actually for use preparing applesauce and enzyme mix), blend carefully with applesauce and place on the very end of a baby spoon tip. She would take it no problem after some practice swallowing. Of course, if she spit up (which she did for the first 4 months of life anyway) after eating that meal, it was orange, but we were ready! The chewable smells and tastes so much better than the liquid form that I was extremely pleased to offer her this alternative. Its also easier to handle. So once a day, we give it to her just after the enzyme and she's good to go for that meal! Hope this helps.

Kreg58

Our little one is 9 months old now, but when she was first prescribed vitamins at a month old, I had so much trouble giving her the very thick, strong flavored liquid version, that I requested an alternative. Her doctor prescribed the chewable version and a dose appropriate for her weight which was about 1/2 a chewable tablet per day. Obviously swallowing something of consistency is tough for an infant but it worked with practice. We use a mortar and pestle to carefully grind to a fine dust. We place in a little plastic cup provided by our CF clinic (actually for use preparing applesauce and enzyme mix), blend carefully with applesauce and place on the very end of a baby spoon tip. She would take it no problem after some practice swallowing. Of course, if she spit up (which she did for the first 4 months of life anyway) after eating that meal, it was orange, but we were ready! The chewable smells and tastes so much better than the liquid form that I was extremely pleased to offer her this alternative. Its also easier to handle. So once a day, we give it to her just after the enzyme and she's good to go for that meal! Hope this helps.

Kreg58

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'd forgotten about grinding pills up -- DS was able to tolerate adeks, but he was also prescribed vitamin K -- we ground up half a tablet and sprinkled it on his baby food bananas and he was fine.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'd forgotten about grinding pills up -- DS was able to tolerate adeks, but he was also prescribed vitamin K -- we ground up half a tablet and sprinkled it on his baby food bananas and he was fine.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

briarrose

Thanks! We'll have to ask our clinic about that. We've been putting the liquid in a pacifier and he'll tae it if he's really hungry, but it's hit or miss. A ground up pill would be so much better!

briarrose

Thanks! We'll have to ask our clinic about that. We've been putting the liquid in a pacifier and he'll tae it if he's really hungry, but it's hit or miss. A ground up pill would be so much better!

briarrose