Trouble with Neb Cleaning (new equipments seems to cause more problems than it solves)

petnurse

Trouble with Neb Cleaning (new equipments seems to cause more problems than it solves)

We use the pari nebs. We wash in warm soapy water and then boulevard on the stove for ten minutes. Then we use the germ guardian. I think it says not to put wet items in there because the coils are exposed. It's kind of a disclaimer for them. The thick masks can be boiled but the thin ones such as the fish masks will warp. Whoever you get the meds from should be offering you all new parts a minimum of every six months at no charge. If not let me know. We use a fabulous cf mail pharmacy that gives everything free. They just gave us a new compressor! I would never wash the tubing. You will end up with mold. As far as washing with vinegar, the RT that delivered our stuff said to boil those. The vinegar instructions are old and the cf foundation no longer recommends doing that. Hope this helps a little.

jdemott

I think this is the problem. Until the past couple of days, I thought all neb cups were the disposable kind, but you just used them as long as they appeared to work. The neb cups we have been using are not durable enough for the high heat cleaning. I am sure that we have damaged them in the dishwasher, but just didn't know it.

jdemott

I think this is the problem. Until the past couple of days, I thought all neb cups were the disposable kind, but you just used them as long as they appeared to work. The neb cups we have been using are not durable enough for the high heat cleaning. I am sure that we have damaged them in the dishwasher, but just didn't know it.

jdemott

jdemott

Isn't boiling water as hot as a dishwasher? I know that the drying feature on a dishwasher gets hot, but is it hotter than 212 degrees? My point is that it seems like boiling would be as hard on the neb cups as a dishwasher. Is that incorrect?

jdemott

Isn't boiling water as hot as a dishwasher? I know that the drying feature on a dishwasher gets hot, but is it hotter than 212 degrees? My point is that it seems like boiling would be as hard on the neb cups as a dishwasher. Is that incorrect?

jdemott

jdemott

Yes, sadly, the clear plastic ones do seem to melt quickly. I was told the Avent was THE steamer to get, because of the temp and duration of the steam. I understand vinegar does little to nothing to disinfect the germs that are of concern, so it's not recommended for CFers. I was also told not to use the microwaveable steamer, but then again, I know plenty of CFers use the microwave to clean their nebs. I think our disposable ones would melt in there or deteriorate for sure. I need to get the RIGHT cups, obviously. Confused why my clinic has never reviewed all this.

jdemott

Yes, sadly, the clear plastic ones do seem to melt quickly. I was told the Avent was THE steamer to get, because of the temp and duration of the steam. I understand vinegar does little to nothing to disinfect the germs that are of concern, so it's not recommended for CFers. I was also told not to use the microwaveable steamer, but then again, I know plenty of CFers use the microwave to clean their nebs. I think our disposable ones would melt in there or deteriorate for sure. I need to get the RIGHT cups, obviously. Confused why my clinic has never reviewed all this.

jdemott

jdemott

Our CF Clinic in Fort Worth is accredited, but the RT department seems lacking in the breadth of info that most CFers online seem to have. They are sticking to the basics, and not sharing info on steamers, etc. More to my concern, I have never been told about the differences between disposable versus longer-lasting nebs.

jdemott

Our CF Clinic in Fort Worth is accredited, but the RT department seems lacking in the breadth of info that most CFers online seem to have. They are sticking to the basics, and not sharing info on steamers, etc. More to my concern, I have never been told about the differences between disposable versus longer-lasting nebs.

jdemott

jdemott

We have just gotten our Albuterol and Pulmozyme from local pharmacies. We have NEVER been given neb cups with the meds. We use mail order for other meds, because our insurance does 3 months meds for 2X copay. They don't do it for Pulmozyme though, so we only mail ordered that about once. I have not used the CF Pharmacy in a LONG time, but will start now, after hearing many recommendations for it on the neb meds, due to the free cups. WHY didn't our clinic tell us that?

The disclaimer factor you mention makes sense... I know CFers are using the Germ Guardian to dry their nebs after boiling or steaming. I just wondered why the GG says DO NOT do that. Once we get the right neb cups, I think I'll go back to washing, rinsing, steaming and then drying in GG.

Thanks!

jdemott

We have just gotten our Albuterol and Pulmozyme from local pharmacies. We have NEVER been given neb cups with the meds. We use mail order for other meds, because our insurance does 3 months meds for 2X copay. They don't do it for Pulmozyme though, so we only mail ordered that about once. I have not used the CF Pharmacy in a LONG time, but will start now, after hearing many recommendations for it on the neb meds, due to the free cups. WHY didn't our clinic tell us that?

The disclaimer factor you mention makes sense... I know CFers are using the Germ Guardian to dry their nebs after boiling or steaming. I just wondered why the GG says DO NOT do that. Once we get the right neb cups, I think I'll go back to washing, rinsing, steaming and then drying in GG.

Thanks!

jdemott

<br />
<br />The disclaimer factor you mention makes sense... I know CFers are using the Germ Guardian to dry their nebs after boiling or steaming. I just wondered why the GG says DO NOT do that. Once we get the right neb cups, I think I'll go back to washing, rinsing, steaming and then drying in GG.
<br />
<br />Thanks!

jdemott

I replied to each post, but just realized that this forum doesn't link the reply to the one replied to. Sorry if my comments are not clear.

jdemott

I replied to each post, but just realized that this forum doesn't link the reply to the one replied to. Sorry if my comments are not clear.

jdemott

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

IMO, you need to get some pari neb cups. I've never had an issue with melting -- other than the clear plastic/green neb cup I melted on the stove just to SEE if it was durable -- and we've been boiling since day one = over 7 1/2 years.

I have used vinegar, but mainly prior to washin and boiling to get calcium deposits off the neb cups due to hard water when our old water softener was faulty.