Trying find a mechanical chest percussion device for my cousin with CF.

Liza

There are two, that I know of, different kinds of percussors. One that Transplant Mommy mentioned does run off a compressor. Some hospitals use them. The hand held part is a small round shape hooked to an airhose that connect to an airsupply. The kind you, Jazzy's Mom and I are familiar with are the all electric kind. We too had one that sounds like what you had. They called it a jackhammer style. It was completely vertical with the cup that pumped up and down. The G5 we have now is quieter. In the hospital they have the flemfighter, it's on a cord attached to the machine on a stand. That webssite shows it.

It certainly sounds like your cousin is lucky to have you looking into things for her. It can be a bit overwhelming for both the family and patient no matter when the diagnosis is made. But now, you know what is wrong and treat it. Tell your cousin that exercise is a really good thing. If she can keep up with volleyball then go for it. It will help her to clear her lungs. The young man I mentioned from the boards here, he plays in the marching band.

Much luck to you in helping your cousin get what she needs.

Liza

There are two, that I know of, different kinds of percussors. One that Transplant Mommy mentioned does run off a compressor. Some hospitals use them. The hand held part is a small round shape hooked to an airhose that connect to an airsupply. The kind you, Jazzy's Mom and I are familiar with are the all electric kind. We too had one that sounds like what you had. They called it a jackhammer style. It was completely vertical with the cup that pumped up and down. The G5 we have now is quieter. In the hospital they have the flemfighter, it's on a cord attached to the machine on a stand. That webssite shows it.

It certainly sounds like your cousin is lucky to have you looking into things for her. It can be a bit overwhelming for both the family and patient no matter when the diagnosis is made. But now, you know what is wrong and treat it. Tell your cousin that exercise is a really good thing. If she can keep up with volleyball then go for it. It will help her to clear her lungs. The young man I mentioned from the boards here, he plays in the marching band.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />It certainly sounds like your cousin is lucky to have you looking into things for her. It can be a bit overwhelming for both the family and patient no matter when the diagnosis is made. But now, you know what is wrong and treat it. Tell your cousin that exercise is a really good thing. If she can keep up with volleyball then go for it. It will help her to clear her lungs. The young man I mentioned from the boards here, he plays in the marching band.
<br />
<br />Much luck to you in helping your cousin get what she needs.
<br />
<br />

cmcintosh

thanks for the help. yes it is overwhelming. i've been in the medical field long enough to know that the doctor isn't always right like some people think. you have to have knowledge about what's going on in order to truely help yourself. my aunt and uncle don't understand all the medical terminology so they don't look stuff up because they don't think they'd understand it and cause they are so very busy with all that's been going on. so i research about CF and talk to the doc that i work for and try to relay the info that i think is helpful. its hard cause i want to go to her doctors' visits and be at the hospital with her when the doctors come around so that i know exactly what they are saying. half the time my aunt can't recall the exact words that the doctor uses and doesn't ask all the question that i think that she should ask, its like she's afraid to ask questions or bother the nurses, but i can't be there all the time cause i have my own family and responsabilities and that makes me frustrated and makes me feel helpless.

cmcintosh

thanks for the help. yes it is overwhelming. i've been in the medical field long enough to know that the doctor isn't always right like some people think. you have to have knowledge about what's going on in order to truely help yourself. my aunt and uncle don't understand all the medical terminology so they don't look stuff up because they don't think they'd understand it and cause they are so very busy with all that's been going on. so i research about CF and talk to the doc that i work for and try to relay the info that i think is helpful. its hard cause i want to go to her doctors' visits and be at the hospital with her when the doctors come around so that i know exactly what they are saying. half the time my aunt can't recall the exact words that the doctor uses and doesn't ask all the question that i think that she should ask, its like she's afraid to ask questions or bother the nurses, but i can't be there all the time cause i have my own family and responsabilities and that makes me frustrated and makes me feel helpless.

cmcintosh

cmcintosh

cmcintosh

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>cmcintosh</b></i>

its hard cause i want to go to her doctors' visits and be at the hospital with her when the doctors come around so that i know exactly what they are saying. half the time my aunt can't recall the exact words that the doctor uses and doesn't ask all the question that i think that she should ask, its like she's afraid to ask questions or bother the nurses, but i can't be there all the time cause i have my own family and responsabilities and that makes me frustrated and makes me feel helpless.

</end quote></div>

What about getting a small, portable tape recorder for them? Then you can listen to it & interpret!

JazzysMom

its hard cause i want to go to her doctors' visits and be at the hospital with her when the doctors come around so that i know exactly what they are saying. half the time my aunt can't recall the exact words that the doctor uses and doesn't ask all the question that i think that she should ask, its like she's afraid to ask questions or bother the nurses, but i can't be there all the time cause i have my own family and responsabilities and that makes me frustrated and makes me feel helpless.

</end quote></div>

What about getting a small, portable tape recorder for them? Then you can listen to it & interpret!

JazzysMom

</end quote></div>

JazzysMom

</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br /> its hard cause i want to go to her doctors' visits and be at the hospital with her when the doctors come around so that i know exactly what they are saying. half the time my aunt can't recall the exact words that the doctor uses and doesn't ask all the question that i think that she should ask, its like she's afraid to ask questions or bother the nurses, but i can't be there all the time cause i have my own family and responsabilities and that makes me frustrated and makes me feel helpless.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />What about getting a small, portable tape recorder for them? Then you can listen to it & interpret!
<br />