Trying to gain weight -- am I doing everything?

ymikhale

Whatever you do, try to eat healthy. Junk food might make you gain weight but can't be healthy if you don't eat right, regardless of your weight.

B

BreathinSteven

Hi mah!

Lots of good ideas on this thread... Possibly like you - my "fighting weight" much of my life was around 115 pounds - I too am/was 5'7"... I honestly did not feel comfortable when I got above 120-125. My doc ALWAYS wanted me to put on pounds as "insurance" for future problems. I understood that he was right. It's a lot easier to maintain health and fight infections when we are at a healthy weight. I understood that - maybe not-so-much - but I understood it better when I was listed and waiting for lungs. At that point, they advised me that I was at a borderline weight and if I lost as little as 1-2 pounds, I would be put on hold and passed over if there were offers for lungs. I knew $hit just got real. They wanted me to gain about 15 pounds and I had never been that heavy in my life.

What worked for me was to make myself accountable - to start treating my meals like my medication - I don't skip a dose of antibiotic, and I can't skip a meal. Because it was hard to breathe on a full stomach, I ate 7-8 smaller meals (which is really the recommended approach for most human beings anyhoo...) And I kept a food-log. To put on a pound every few weeks, I needed to eat at least 3500 calories daily (that's ME, we all have different metabolisms and requirements...) Keeping a log of everything I stuffed into my mouth, along with calories and fat-grams, kept me on target... I would strive to exceed my 3500 calories daily, if only to compensate for the days I struggled to meet it - and if I felt like crap during a day, at 3pm if I was already at 3000 calories I knew I could ease up... If I was only at 1500 calories, I knew I just had to force myself to eat. Keeping a long/journal kept me accountable to myself.

The other thing it helped me with is, sometimes we THINK we're stuffing our faces - pounding down candy bars and high-fat snacks and whatnot - but when we actually write them down and add them up, sometimes we're not doing nearly what we think we're doing.

Ironically - I have the opposite problem 13+ years post transplant. Infections are no longer burning off everything I stuff into my mouth, so it ends up on my a$$ (moreso my belly...) Now I keep a food log/journal the limit the amount of calories I consume because, after living almost 40 years struggling to go over 110-115 pounds, I blossomed to 165 - but now dropped back to a more reasonable 145-150 (and I'm still trying to lose a few...)

When I was in your shoes - I was eating primarily high fat foods and looked at vegetables as wasted space - they would fill me up with very limited calories, and I needed to pack the calories in... But sometimes "tons and tons" are deceiving - I would actually log them to get calorie counts on what's going into your mouth. Come up with a goal of the calorie intake you need - and get to that goal daily. I did notice, while I was waiting and had gotten closer to my goal weight - though my lungs were crap, I seemed to have less issues with infections and illness, and I had more strength when I had attained that higher weight...

The talk in this thread about weight training and exercise sounds like a very good path - and doubly good because that tends to stimulate appetite as well...

Good luck, mah!!! Love Steve

rmotion

THis is a struggle we all deal with. I am once again making an effort to gain weight. Sometimes we all need a push and some ideas.
Here is my weight gain manifesto. For anyone that is interested and to help my keep motivated and on track.
1. Decide that you have to do something different than you did before and realize if we are not having success we need to change tack.
2. Figure out what type of diet that works for you.
3. Figure out how many calories you need to meet your weight goals. Ie to gain 10 pounds in 3 months you have to have x amount extra per day.
4. Do you have a G-tube

1. All too often we just get by with what gets us by to break even. We need to admit that what is i am doing or not doing getting me results.
Take one step to your plan each day. Today I reordered my feeding supplies. I have not been messing around with gaining weight and realized I have not put enough effort in the last 3 years and only have gained 5 pounds since then, not enough. I do not like eating it is too much work and have so many other issues that I just making excuses. I want to gain 10- pounds in 3 months, ok lets break it down.
1 pound = 3500 calories, 10 pounds = 35,000 calories / 90 days = 400 calories extra that we are not getting.
Not too bad just have to make sure we gain good weight not fat carb belly weight.
I am on a gluten free and dairy free diet. This is something that all cf's should look at. I see lots of posts about drinking milk as a weight gainer. Milk makes mucus and more mucus makes us have more infection, inflammation and increases our caloric need, we all know how much of a vicious cycle this fnn disease is to manage.
When I do my tube feedings I gain weight and this is enough for most of us to gain weight we just have to do so. The problem for me is I get bloated weight gain fat stomach and skinny arms and legs. Our bodies have a hard time converting and keeping protein naturally. So most of us Cf's are skinnny. Again another vicious cycle.
THis week I have decided to gain those 10 pounds and stop whining. Here we go for my new natural, gluten free and dairy free weight gain formula.
The other thing is once we start getting more calories we have to exercise. Lift weights, squats etc. Again you have to have enough energy to go to the gym and lift weights, those stupid things are heavy.

Here is a recipe to consider for a gtube bolus.
RECIPES
Super Going breakfast – High Protein, Low Glycemic Balanced and easily digested. Over 600 calories of easy to digest and low glycemic foods. Compatible foods less likely to rebound or feel full. Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
Food Calories Benefit
3 Eggs 108 High Protein, Perfect Amino Score, Easily Digested
1 Banana 90 Lower Glycemic Calories, Potassium
½ Cup Rice Flakes 50 Adds Calories, bulk and nutrition
1 TBL Olive Oil 135 Adds Calories and Omega 3’s
2 TBL Honey 120 Good Carbs and many nutrients
1/8[SUP]th[/SUP] tsp Sea Salt Essential Minerals and Sodium
4 OZ Sweet Potato 120 Good low glycemic calories and vitamins and fiber
I use baby food formula, already pureed and easy to use. I use the glass jar for later to store the formula for a day or so or for traveling. Just be careful with storage because of the eggs. I substitute frequently with rice protein.
½ Cup Rice or Coconut Milk 60 Provides calories and Liquid

Multivitamins and green food Taste free way to take vitamins
Probiotics Yogurt, kefir or good digestive health supplement
Directions:
Cook eggs in microwave or stovetop, no need to taste good just cooked sufficiently.
Add Rice Milk to blender and all wet ingredients, mix well.
Add eggs and puree, making sure to make smooth.
Add banana and rice flakes, here you can adjust for thickness ,and consistency. If you add multivitamins and such make sure you add them to the liquid part because they can be chaulky or have the gel capsule needs to break down. You can open the capsule up too if it is not too hard.
Run mixture through a wire mesh colander to filter out the clumps( trust me a clogged tube is a mess ) if too clumpy blend and put through the colander again.

Here is a great recipe for those that drink it!It tastes great and has lots of calories (700) - it is gluten free and dairy free.

Almond Gainer

1 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup almond butter
2tbls Rice protein
2 tbls honey
1/2 cup ice
blend and serve

Also a good base I use in various drinks.
Egg white protein - blends in easily and not much taste – can find powdered which is best.
Raw Protein by Garden of life
coconut milk - high in easy to digest calories
butternut squash - low glycemic good sugars
sunflower oil or nuts ( nuts need to be filtered well)
Rice protein
Hemp Protein and Hemp Seed – Some of the most balanced nutrition and proteins
(I avoid soy and whey protein not really good for you - some whey is better than others but still dairy and very acidic)
green juices to add nutrition
various supplements can be added.
I use a slow juicer and a ninja blender to make everything.

Again we want to stay away from gluten and dairy. The fact we can get PH green proteins is important. We want to stay on the positive side of the PH as much as possible.
It all seems so simple but the the takeaway here is:
1. Decide you want to do it, and make every effort to do so. We have alot to deal with this disease so a metered and duplicated system will help you get there. Feel free to em for more info.