Trying to get over the flu, need some advice.

Ultima Grant

Hi, its my first time posting here. I caught the flu over a week ago and have gotten though the fever and everything but it has left me with coughing up alot more mucus every day and night.
im being told more often by my wife and mother that i should go to the hospital. i kind of wanted to hear some advice from others with CF and have had the flu. what should i do and what have you gone through to get over the lasting symptoms of the flu.

Let your cf doc know bc he may give u something. Drink lots of liquids and soups. Use many pillows to help u breathe while laying down. Use cough syrup and cough drops. Have a trash can handy in case u need to throw up. Carry some water wherever you go in Case you need it. Eat
Whenever you can. Will be praying for you

Ultima Grant

thanks, i always have a trashcan near by anyways for when i need to cough stuff up. i usually keep in touch with my cf clinic through email in between visits. i wasnt really sure about cough syrup,i was kind of wanting to try some but wasnt sure if it would prevent me from coughing up mucus that needs to get out. is over the counter cough syrup safe to use with CF?

W

welshwitch

I haven't had the flu in awhile (I always, ALWAYS get a fly shot :) but here is some advice from years of gnarly colds and CF.

*During the day: Sleep, sleep, sleep, fluids, food ("feed a cold"), Vitamin C, etc. I take Sudafed to combat the effects of the cold.

*At night : I take Nyquil to help me sleep. If I don't sleep, it delays the healing process.

*During the latter part of the cold, ie, the congestion/coughing part: Be as proactive as you can about coughing stuff up. Double or triple your breathing treatments (do you do Pulmozyme and/or Hypertonic Saline?) And, once you start feeling better, do cardio to loosen up the junk in your lungs. I always find that doing a good 4 mile run at the end of a cold really loosens things up. The idea is to purge your body of this mucus. The more proactive you can be up front, the less assault your body will go through trying to cough it up. COughing is good, it's your body's way of getting rid of it. Unfortunately it can really wear you out.

*If all else fails, yes, go to the doc. Maybe some hardcore meds are what you need.

Beccamom

I have CF and probably the flu. My CF dr put me on Tamaflu right away, but still wants me to come in.

This is different then my daughter who I took to pediatrician and he completely ignored my concerns. Luckily pediatrician could tell I was very concerned about my daughter and called the pulmonologist the next day who called me extremely concerned she was not cultured, was not put on Tamaflu, was told to take prescription cough med, and told to inhale tap water steam. I was kinda yelled at by the pulmonologist why I didn't call there first.

Long story, but shows why cf clinic should be your first call. Maybe you now have a sinus infection and your cough is a drip that needs antibiotics so the bacterial infection does not go to your lungs.

AmalynRose

I would suggest calling your CF team first and see what they recommend. I would also make a point to start getting a flu shot every year. The state I live in has already had 60 flu related deaths this season. People who are pregnant or have a compromised immune systems are particularly at risk.

To those who have not gotten sick yet this season, it's still a good idea to get a flu shot this late in the season.

Ultima Grant

thanks guys. my cf team managed to find an opening for me today and i'm about to get blood work and an xray done along with PFT. i'm hoping that my pfts will be relatively normal so that i can finally say that maybe this flu hasnt hurt me as bad as it seems. i'll probably ask about getting a flu shot too. regretting skipping it this year.

Beccamom

If you are getting bloodwork ask for your vitamin D to be checked. My daughters GI, on the CF team, gave me an article that showed a relationship between low vit D and Flu deaths. She recommended a blood test level of 30, but preferred 40.

thanks guys. my cf team managed to find an opening for me today and i'm about to get blood work and an xray done along with PFT. i'm hoping that my pfts will be relatively normal so that i can finally say that maybe this flu hasnt hurt me as bad as it seems. i'll probably ask about getting a flu shot too. regretting skipping it this year.

Ultima Grant

Well I have pneumonia on my lungs cause of the flu. But I've been given antibiotics I need to take 4 times a day for 2 weeks. Lung function is way down. But I've been given a note for the weekend off work. If I'm not feeling a bit better by Monday I may be admitted. Though hopefully I'm feeling ok by then. Not a fan of losing out on work.

J

jmv

Take cough syrup with an ingredient that is an expectorant (same ingredients as Mucinex- helps loosen mucus and get rid of it). What you don't want is a suppressant because that will make it harder to get mucus out. Robitussin has Mucus + Chest Congestion cough syrup that is only an expectorant and really helps me get stuff out

mamaScarlett

I'm on my second round with the flu this season. The first time, in early fall, it turned into pneumonia within 48 hrs and I was hospitalized for a week. My fev1 went down to 53% at its lowest from baseline of 72-75%. This time, I have a much milder case thankfully. The biggest thing that is helping me this time is exercising. I was determined this go around, that it would not turn into pneumonia. I don't have a fever anymore so I've been able to run 2 miles a day, and the doctor thinks thats whats keeping it from affecting my lungs too badly.
Even if you can't do that, any type of exercise would be really helpful. It forces you to use your lungs in a different way, and cough out even more junk.

jbrandonAW

Ive had the flu since last monday, and I've treated it nautrally. 4000mg of vit c a day, garlic supplements, extra albuteral treatments, honey every 2-4 hours to help with cough. Also cut and onion in 1/2 and put it in your bedroom when you go to bed. I did this and I felt amazingly better from it. Also try doing atleast to sinus rinses a day. Remember it takes time to heal so be patient and get lots of rest. Try a baths in epsom salt to help muscle pain. As well make some bone broth (google a recipe) as it has healing properties and eat lots of fruits and veggies, stay away from dairy ad meat protien as they are hard on the body while you are sick. Sugar also brings the immune system down and prolongs illness.