Turned down for SSDI ..suggestions

anonymous

Thank you Jenica. I just know that mark and I have been through hell and back with SSDI, food stamps, medicaid and now this infertility thing, so if anyone can learn from our mistakes- I sure hope they do. Thanks for the nice words.

Julie

I too was able to get it without question. Which we are grateful for. I think a big kicker was that my Dr. was so pro me not working. Talk to your Dr to see if they contacted him. I felt like mine had a great impact on whether I got it or not.

Ericsmom

I hope this doesn't go over wrong but I feel blessed that I was able to get my son's ssdi so easy. I called and got an appointment. I showed up for the appointment and talked to the lady. She give me the paper work to fill out and the 15 or so release forms for his doctors and teachers to release his medical information. I listed his treatments, illnessess, and other medicines he was on. I am not sure the list of doctors and problems may have overwhelmed them to feel sorry for him. I filed Jan13 and recieved his first check March 1. He has lung problems but his biggest problem is him weight being at 30% for weight and height. I feel really bad though that these people with ss give you guys such a hard time. They need to realized that after the second time that there is a real need. Dealing with Cf is hard enough with out them wasting our time. I want to say that I wish you all lots of luck

anonymous

I can guarantee you that your son got approved so easily because of his height/weight percentile. There are CFers out there who "look healthy", don't have noticable weight problems (but like my husband, would have them if he didn't eat us out of house and home at $800 a month, just for him), don't have Pneumonia constantaly.... but still have difficulty holding a full time job. Those are the difficult cases to approve, but still Deserve (in my opinion) the SSI or SSDI.

Just wanted to put that out there, Its nice to hear both sides of the story but I don't want anybody who's trying to get benefits, to get discouraged-that's all.

Julie

anonymous

First, I echo the sentiment of appreciation for all Julie does. One other thing to consider is prior work history. If you have had an income from working in the past and what level of income you were at is likely one factor that has effected your recieving SSI. I have heard that it affects those who apply for GHPP. Additionally, you may look into GHPP-although it may vary from State to State.

Sincerely,

"Senatorgraham"

"My friends are my estate. Forgive me the avarice of hoarding them."

anonymous

Sten, Are you in CA? Oh, and thanks for the compliment-I appreciate it.

Also, just clairification about SSI/SSDI, if a person has enough work history, they qualify for SSDI and other income of the family doesn't matter or apply. Only when a person doesn't meet the minimum work time are they looked at for SSI.

Julie

anonymous

Born and rasied in CA. Thanks for the clarification. I have not applied for SSI but have heard horror stories from many that have, many who have had varying work experience.

Sincerely,

"Senatorgraham"

"My friends are my estate. Forgive the avarice of hoarding them."-Emily Dickinson

anonymous

I was just wondering because GHPP is unique to CA only, so that's why I though you might be from here. No other state has a program just like it. But you sure are right about the SSI/SSDI stuff. The applications cover all of the same matierial and the criteria to qualify is the same for both, but you have to have a work history for SSDI.

Julie

anonymous

I am truly sorry to hear that only CA has GHPP. Other States should be encouraged to follow suit. It, as I understand it is a great program. No other state has a similar program?

Sincerely,

"Senatorgraham"

"My friends are my estate. Forgive me my avarice of hoarding them."

JazzysMom

Do you think with CA financial state that this program might be on the chopping block? I havent really followed Governor Arnolds plan, but was just curious.

anonymous

Some states have other programs, not called GHPP though. Although I am unaware of any others that list CF as one of there definate covered "disabilities" right off like GHPP does. Although MANY other states have better medicaid coverage which includes better coverage for CF, because california's medicaid coverage for CF is awful.

Julie

anonymous

What if you don't go in the hospital, but do IV antibiotics at home? That still counts in your favor as far as SSDI, right?

anonymous

YES, you are absolutely right. An IV is an IV regardless if it is done in the hospital or at home and same with the nebulizer.

Julie