Two Carrier Parents

Beccamom

I have a diferent question. How do you know you are each carriers and that neither of you have CF. I found out I have CF because both of my children had genetic testing due to illness. They both came back with 1 genetic mutation that causes CF. However, since they each have different mutations and the same mom and the same dad. Either my husband and I were both carriers or one of us has CF. So I had the genetic testing due to my symtpoms and I have CF and gave each of my children one of my mutations.

Don't take this wrong. I am thrilled to be here and have a great life. If you had only screening for the most common genes, then it is possible one of you has CF. It is also possible one of you have a CF mutation and a 5T variant which can increase the chances of your child having CF symptoms. Maybe this is why your doctor said 50% chance. My 36 years of mis-diagnosis makes me not very trusting of doctors, so you are doing the right thing researching on your own.

Johnson:

Let me chime in here too. 2 carriers = 25% CF 50% Carrier 25% clean of mutations. Someone either mis-spoke, was misunderstood or just plain had no clue as to what they were talking about. Now if one of you have CF, what you were told would be correct.

Bill

lilywing

I often wonder about this very question. How do parents know whether they, themselves, have CF unless they are tested for ALL the mutations? I wonder too, because my dad has suffered with digestive problems his entire life, and my mother has sinus issues.