Two conflicting diets, kinda confused.

Vampy

So of course people with cf are put on a high calorie, high protein diet, but today I went to the doctor and the dr did some testing and swears I have celiacs disease, how in the world do you balance a diet for CF, high calorie and high protein diet and then also a diet with no bread, gluten or wheat....:confused:

jshet

My son also has cf and celiac. He also has autism. It is hard. We just got a feeding tube because he also can't have milk, dairy, soy or rice on top of wheat and gluten. All meat is fine, as long as you don't add gluten to it. All fruits and veggies are good too. There are gluten free butters out there.baked potatoes are great, they make pastas. Bread, crackers, cookies,ect. Are available but they are expensive. Reading labels can be overwhelming at first and you will mourn things you can't have, but you will feel better.

Most labels now say if an item is gluten free which is nice because when I started this diet with my son 9 years ago, you had to read everything.

You can find most items you are looking for, but try them first something's arn't to tasty. Eating out can be tricky too. Fast food is pretty much out because of ingredients and cross contamination. Like for instance if the fries are gluten free but fried in the same oil as the chicken nuggets, they are not gluten free, they are contaminated.

I think since you only have to stay away from gluten, you will be able to work out a high calorie diet for yourself, but expect the prices to be much higher than regular flood. Example would be a loaf of bread for my son that only has 12 slices costs $5.99 compared to $1 or 1.50 for regular bread.

It is a big adjustment but before you know it, it just becomes habit. Good luck. Feal free to ask any questions. Jshet

rmotion

Yep conflicting diets. I think most CF's have a problem with wheat. I also have Celiac and am gluten free. It is a challenge but very easy to follow a gluten free diet. Instead of wheat bread you eat gluten free bread, like Udis or Canyon Bakery breads are the best. Instead of pasta, eat rice pasta like Tinkyada or Pastarisio or Schar. Wheat it bad for anyone it is just that us CF's have so many digestive issues wheat leads to damage of the intestines. YOu can find gluten free locally and online at amazon.com and sites like www.glutensolutions.com to name a few. email me for more info

Vampy

Thanks guys, I am just tired of every time I go there, they find something else wrong and its getting old. I had a colonoscopy for celiacs a few years ago and it was negative so they are doing it again because apparently the results don't come out right, you have to go through the throat or a blood test. I'm already dealing with everything with my son who is special needs now and I am always busy, this is just getting to be a little insane =\. Tried to do "Therapy" but I don't have the time X_x

jshet

They can run blood tests to look for markers in your blood. Conformation is made through a biopsy of your small intestine. But if you just have a gluten allergy, these tests will come back negative. The best thing to try then is to eliminate all gluten for at least 6 weeks and see if your symptoms improve. Good luck

Vampy

It has to be something, because no matter what I eat, I am sick to my stomach. I don't understand it :(

scrapper1264

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. We did GF for a little bit until we found a med for his Crohn's. Smoothies with frozen fruit, juice, protein powder, flaxseed oil and coconut oil is a great way to get a lot of good fat and protein. Hope you find something that works!

Epona

Gut and Psychology Syndrome - treatment for autism

Jshet, have you read the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride? She has developed and used a diet that successfully treats people with autism and other psychological diseases (including her own son, who used to have autism). Going gluten free is the first step, but not enough to correct the underlying problem, which is dysbiosis in the intestines leading to brain toxicity. Reading this book could change your life, as it has for thousands of others.

Epona

Please read the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. Gluten-free is just a small part of the dietary transition you need to make in order to be G.I. symptom-free and cure your Celiac's at the root of the problem. I am currently on the GAPS/Specific Carbohydrate Diet/Paleo and it is helping me a lot. Essentially, to correct the underlying problem, which is leaky gut syndrome and intestinal dysbiosis, we must eliminate all foods that contribute to bacterial infection in the guts, i.e. all grains, starchy veggies, non-fermented dairy, all junk foods and sugar, polyunsaturated veggie oils, etc. I have a lot more info on CF nutrition and natural healing at: www.cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com. Food is medicine, and once you treat it as such it becomes a habit and eating becomes a lot easier (plus more enjoyable, since you'll have less G.I. symptoms).

Be well.