unforgiving professors

geckolady

this is my second year of college, and every semester i have managed to survive an full course load and working about 20hrs a week at a daycare. Not only did i survive, but i made the deans list three semesters in a row.

my luck is giving out though, i'm taking 5 classes and drowning in work! I usually work well under presure but the stress is starting to wear away at me.

yesterday i was tossing a footbal with a friend in some free time and for no reason i could see, i had a terrible coughing fit and i spend the rest of the day explaining to people why I fell asleep in the lounge and missed three classes. I have never had a fit like that before and it was pretty draining, I was making that funny gasping noise that kids make when they've been crying really hard for almost an hour after the fit.

i emailed all of my professors and explained. the professor of one of the classes is also my advisor, but he still replied to me and told me that if i missed another class "for any reason" he was going to drop me from the class! i am already taking the minimum amount of classes to be a full time studnet and stay on my paretns health insurance, he can not drop me from this class! i have a meeting with him tomorrow afternoon.

i posted this partly to vent but mostly to ask for advise! what do i say to this guy!

geckolady

this is my second year of college, and every semester i have managed to survive an full course load and working about 20hrs a week at a daycare. Not only did i survive, but i made the deans list three semesters in a row.

my luck is giving out though, i'm taking 5 classes and drowning in work! I usually work well under presure but the stress is starting to wear away at me.

yesterday i was tossing a footbal with a friend in some free time and for no reason i could see, i had a terrible coughing fit and i spend the rest of the day explaining to people why I fell asleep in the lounge and missed three classes. I have never had a fit like that before and it was pretty draining, I was making that funny gasping noise that kids make when they've been crying really hard for almost an hour after the fit.

i emailed all of my professors and explained. the professor of one of the classes is also my advisor, but he still replied to me and told me that if i missed another class "for any reason" he was going to drop me from the class! i am already taking the minimum amount of classes to be a full time studnet and stay on my paretns health insurance, he can not drop me from this class! i have a meeting with him tomorrow afternoon.

i posted this partly to vent but mostly to ask for advise! what do i say to this guy!

geckolady

geckolady

geckolady

<br />
<br />my luck is giving out though, i'm taking 5 classes and drowning in work! I usually work well under presure but the stress is starting to wear away at me.
<br />
<br />yesterday i was tossing a footbal with a friend in some free time and for no reason i could see, i had a terrible coughing fit and i spend the rest of the day explaining to people why I fell asleep in the lounge and missed three classes. I have never had a fit like that before and it was pretty draining, I was making that funny gasping noise that kids make when they've been crying really hard for almost an hour after the fit.
<br />
<br />i emailed all of my professors and explained. the professor of one of the classes is also my advisor, but he still replied to me and told me that if i missed another class "for any reason" he was going to drop me from the class! i am already taking the minimum amount of classes to be a full time studnet and stay on my paretns health insurance, he can not drop me from this class! i have a meeting with him tomorrow afternoon.
<br />
<br />i posted this partly to vent but mostly to ask for advise! what do i say to this guy!
<br />
<br />

C

cfsucks

tell him the truth... you have a chronic illness and it will affect you some days. if he doesn't accept that ask to speak to someone with higher authority.

C

cfsucks

tell him the truth... you have a chronic illness and it will affect you some days. if he doesn't accept that ask to speak to someone with higher authority.

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks

cdale613

I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble. If I were you, I would contact your school's office of disability services - I don't know exactly what your school calls this office, but it should be under the office that oversees student life, etc. If you can't find it on your school's website, call the office of the dean or president's office they should direct you to it. Once you've contacted them, meet with them as soon as possible in person, to explain to them your situation. Emphasize the need to remain a full-time student to maintain your health insurance, and your desire to continue your studies, but that CF is negatively affecting you. They may be able to arrange some accommodations for you... a note taker for a class if/when you need one, a tutor, etc.

You should also contact your Doctor, explain the situation, and ask for something in writing that verifies your diagnosis and explains the demands of living with CF, your treatment regime, and the reality of the toll it can take on you.

Your professor may have just thought your email was another email from a kid who got drunk and said "I was sick today" and didn't read it carefully enough, or doesn't have any real knowledge of what CF is. You need to make sure that perception changes, and a letter from your doctor as well as contact with your schools disability services will help that, and give you some documentation of your efforts if he really is a jerk and tries to "make an example" of you.

Hope you feel better soon.

Chris

m 27 w/cf

cdale613

I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble. If I were you, I would contact your school's office of disability services - I don't know exactly what your school calls this office, but it should be under the office that oversees student life, etc. If you can't find it on your school's website, call the office of the dean or president's office they should direct you to it. Once you've contacted them, meet with them as soon as possible in person, to explain to them your situation. Emphasize the need to remain a full-time student to maintain your health insurance, and your desire to continue your studies, but that CF is negatively affecting you. They may be able to arrange some accommodations for you... a note taker for a class if/when you need one, a tutor, etc.

You should also contact your Doctor, explain the situation, and ask for something in writing that verifies your diagnosis and explains the demands of living with CF, your treatment regime, and the reality of the toll it can take on you.

Your professor may have just thought your email was another email from a kid who got drunk and said "I was sick today" and didn't read it carefully enough, or doesn't have any real knowledge of what CF is. You need to make sure that perception changes, and a letter from your doctor as well as contact with your schools disability services will help that, and give you some documentation of your efforts if he really is a jerk and tries to "make an example" of you.

Chris

m 27 w/cf

cdale613

Chris

m 27 w/cf

cdale613

Chris

m 27 w/cf

cdale613

<br />
<br />You should also contact your Doctor, explain the situation, and ask for something in writing that verifies your diagnosis and explains the demands of living with CF, your treatment regime, and the reality of the toll it can take on you.
<br />
<br />Your professor may have just thought your email was another email from a kid who got drunk and said "I was sick today" and didn't read it carefully enough, or doesn't have any real knowledge of what CF is. You need to make sure that perception changes, and a letter from your doctor as well as contact with your schools disability services will help that, and give you some documentation of your efforts if he really is a jerk and tries to "make an example" of you.
<br />
<br />
<br />Hope you feel better soon.
<br />
<br />Chris
<br />
<br />m 27 w/cf

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I agree, be honest. There are tons of slackers in the world. The professor needs to know you are not one of them.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I agree, be honest. There are tons of slackers in the world. The professor needs to know you are not one of them.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader