unused medicine

Tammy15

Our daughter passed on 060410. She could just no longer fight she made a calm decision we had her son's 5th bday party there at hospital so she could participate and she did a great job even though she was in pain. We now have some medicines that her brother can not use I know pharmacy will not take back. Does anyone know where we could send. I have to relook but I believe we have insulin and other things

Thanks Tammy

Tammy15

Our daughter passed on 060410. She could just no longer fight she made a calm decision we had her son's 5th bday party there at hospital so she could participate and she did a great job even though she was in pain. We now have some medicines that her brother can not use I know pharmacy will not take back. Does anyone know where we could send. I have to relook but I believe we have insulin and other things

Thanks Tammy

Tammy15

<br />
<br />Thanks Tammy

M

Mommafirst

I am sooo so very sorry to hear of your loss. CF is horrible. I hope she is at peace and that those she left will somehow find some peace too.

I don't really know what to do with the meds. I've heard that the American Red Cross might take the meds. Otherwise I have no other ideas.

M

Mommafirst

I am sooo so very sorry to hear of your loss. CF is horrible. I hope she is at peace and that those she left will somehow find some peace too.

I don't really know what to do with the meds. I've heard that the American Red Cross might take the meds. Otherwise I have no other ideas.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I don't really know what to do with the meds. I've heard that the American Red Cross might take the meds. Otherwise I have no other ideas.

Liza

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. My prayers are with you and your family.

As for the meds. Sometimes the CF clinic will take them for patients that can not afford. To just dispose of them would requires some searching. Some pharmacies have a disposal program and will take back expired and unused/unusable meds and dispose of them to keep them out of the landfills and water systems. Check with smaller more local type pharmacies vs the larger chain pharmacies. I happened across a local pharmacy that advertised this program in our small town local paper. If you happen to be in the DFW area of Texas, it's the Flower Mound pharmacy.

Liza

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. My prayers are with you and your family.

As for the meds. Sometimes the CF clinic will take them for patients that can not afford. To just dispose of them would requires some searching. Some pharmacies have a disposal program and will take back expired and unused/unusable meds and dispose of them to keep them out of the landfills and water systems. Check with smaller more local type pharmacies vs the larger chain pharmacies. I happened across a local pharmacy that advertised this program in our small town local paper. If you happen to be in the DFW area of Texas, it's the Flower Mound pharmacy.

Liza

<br />
<br />As for the meds. Sometimes the CF clinic will take them for patients that can not afford. To just dispose of them would requires some searching. Some pharmacies have a disposal program and will take back expired and unused/unusable meds and dispose of them to keep them out of the landfills and water systems. Check with smaller more local type pharmacies vs the larger chain pharmacies. I happened across a local pharmacy that advertised this program in our small town local paper. If you happen to be in the DFW area of Texas, it's the Flower Mound pharmacy.
<br />
<br />

dragonlady

I checked one time for myself when my daughter had extra IV supplies and medication. The American Red Cross said they do not take medication, but that I should try any Vetern charities.

dragonlady

I checked one time for myself when my daughter had extra IV supplies and medication. The American Red Cross said they do not take medication, but that I should try any Vetern charities.

dragonlady

robert321

To the best of my knowledge, it is illegal to give away perscription drugs to anyone for any reason, so the only official thing to do with them would be to destroy them or take them to a pharmacy to be destroyed. I think it can be disposed of in a sharps container, but then you have to pay for the sharps container disposal which can be a pain.
Depending on the doctor, I've heard through the grapevine that some doctors will take unused but still good meds and give them "under the table" to someone without insurance or in a tight financial spot. But that's going to depend strictly on the doctor and how he interprets the "do no harm and everything in your power to help" (or however it's worded) doctor vows.
I've also heard that some charities will take them and redistribute them overseas, specifically what I've heard is in Haiti, but I can't remember who is doing that and I haven't researched it. There again idk about the legality of doing that.
The way I look at it is I'm going to do whatever it takes to not waste the meds. But then again, I was raised in such a way, I feel bad when I leave meat uneaten on my plate. Not so much the vegitables, same sort of thing as I won't shoot then not eat animals except for something like wild hogs that tear up crops and really need population control. (if you're bored, google the wild hogs/boar and find some news stories, it's crazy how those things behave and breed like rabbits, then the destruction they cause)

robert321

To the best of my knowledge, it is illegal to give away perscription drugs to anyone for any reason, so the only official thing to do with them would be to destroy them or take them to a pharmacy to be destroyed. I think it can be disposed of in a sharps container, but then you have to pay for the sharps container disposal which can be a pain.
Depending on the doctor, I've heard through the grapevine that some doctors will take unused but still good meds and give them "under the table" to someone without insurance or in a tight financial spot. But that's going to depend strictly on the doctor and how he interprets the "do no harm and everything in your power to help" (or however it's worded) doctor vows.
I've also heard that some charities will take them and redistribute them overseas, specifically what I've heard is in Haiti, but I can't remember who is doing that and I haven't researched it. There again idk about the legality of doing that.
The way I look at it is I'm going to do whatever it takes to not waste the meds. But then again, I was raised in such a way, I feel bad when I leave meat uneaten on my plate. Not so much the vegitables, same sort of thing as I won't shoot then not eat animals except for something like wild hogs that tear up crops and really need population control. (if you're bored, google the wild hogs/boar and find some news stories, it's crazy how those things behave and breed like rabbits, then the destruction they cause)

robert321

<br />Depending on the doctor, I've heard through the grapevine that some doctors will take unused but still good meds and give them "under the table" to someone without insurance or in a tight financial spot. But that's going to depend strictly on the doctor and how he interprets the "do no harm and everything in your power to help" (or however it's worded) doctor vows.
<br />I've also heard that some charities will take them and redistribute them overseas, specifically what I've heard is in Haiti, but I can't remember who is doing that and I haven't researched it. There again idk about the legality of doing that.
<br />The way I look at it is I'm going to do whatever it takes to not waste the meds. But then again, I was raised in such a way, I feel bad when I leave meat uneaten on my plate. Not so much the vegitables, same sort of thing as I won't shoot then not eat animals except for something like wild hogs that tear up crops and really need population control. (if you're bored, google the wild hogs/boar and find some news stories, it's crazy how those things behave and breed like rabbits, then the destruction they cause)

Tammy15

Thank you am going to check with local pharmacy. I have also heard from a friend that a local Amish girl has CF and I know she may be in need of some meds so I am going to be checking with the family. These pharmacies sent way over the amount of what she would use so wasteful. I once asked and the woman told me so many come in a box and there are no small boxes of certain things I guess kinda like hot dog rolls you just can't by two. I just think of all money medicare/medicaid could save if you could get these places to not over send.

Tammy15

Thank you am going to check with local pharmacy. I have also heard from a friend that a local Amish girl has CF and I know she may be in need of some meds so I am going to be checking with the family. These pharmacies sent way over the amount of what she would use so wasteful. I once asked and the woman told me so many come in a box and there are no small boxes of certain things I guess kinda like hot dog rolls you just can't by two. I just think of all money medicare/medicaid could save if you could get these places to not over send.

Tammy15

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I am so very sorry for your loss. How generous and kind you are to think of others.

Here's an agency who might take your things. We sent a large package of supplies to Haiti via this ministry:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurMinistries/HandofHope/News/haitisupplies.htm
">http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurM...ews/haitisupplies.htm
</a>
They were so appreciative of even the small amounts. They wrote us a nice note and receipt for tax purposes.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I am so very sorry for your loss. How generous and kind you are to think of others.

Here's an agency who might take your things. We sent a large package of supplies to Haiti via this ministry:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurMinistries/HandofHope/News/haitisupplies.htm
">http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurM...ews/haitisupplies.htm
</a>
They were so appreciative of even the small amounts. They wrote us a nice note and receipt for tax purposes.