UPDATE - Constipation & Vomiting

ktsmom

Sandra I anxiously opened your post to read that progress had been made, only to be in complete shock at how this GI doc is handling things. Is this a pediatric GI? There is NO WAY that any of this seems "okay" in my opinion. And waiting another month is out of the question. No wet diaper in 13 hours - that seems like dehydration. The vomiting and the no stooling are related. Again, all just my opinion, but I just encourage you to keep trying. Surely your pediatrician will recognize that there are some serious things going on here. Stay tough!

ktsmom

Sandra I anxiously opened your post to read that progress had been made, only to be in complete shock at how this GI doc is handling things. Is this a pediatric GI? There is NO WAY that any of this seems "okay" in my opinion. And waiting another month is out of the question. No wet diaper in 13 hours - that seems like dehydration. The vomiting and the no stooling are related. Again, all just my opinion, but I just encourage you to keep trying. Surely your pediatrician will recognize that there are some serious things going on here. Stay tough!

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

C

Cherylwithone

my daughter has GI problems. When she was younger she could go a month and not poop. Not a good thing but her body got use to it. She still has problems with pooping. Has an ace and does clean outs through that. Her weight was'nt even on the growth charts. First GI docotr we had just made light of it. We now have a wonderfull Gi doctor that stays right on top of things. Malora would vomit because what goes in must come out. You should have his electrolytes checked. Tell that GI doctor her answer just is'nt good enough. They can run more test on him. I would not wait a month. Ratatosk and Ktsmom are right. Call and get him in there.
My daughter sees her GI doctor every two weeks right now. Listen to what your gut is telling you. Babies don't lose weight at that age unless they are sick. first 24 to 48 hours after birth.....not at 4 months. Hang in there and let us know how it goes.

Cheryl, daughter with CF...GI and lungs

C

Cherylwithone

my daughter has GI problems. When she was younger she could go a month and not poop. Not a good thing but her body got use to it. She still has problems with pooping. Has an ace and does clean outs through that. Her weight was'nt even on the growth charts. First GI docotr we had just made light of it. We now have a wonderfull Gi doctor that stays right on top of things. Malora would vomit because what goes in must come out. You should have his electrolytes checked. Tell that GI doctor her answer just is'nt good enough. They can run more test on him. I would not wait a month. Ratatosk and Ktsmom are right. Call and get him in there.
My daughter sees her GI doctor every two weeks right now. Listen to what your gut is telling you. Babies don't lose weight at that age unless they are sick. first 24 to 48 hours after birth.....not at 4 months. Hang in there and let us know how it goes.

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />My daughter sees her GI doctor every two weeks right now. Listen to what your gut is telling you. Babies don't lose weight at that age unless they are sick. first 24 to 48 hours after birth.....not at 4 months. Hang in there and let us know how it goes.
<br />
<br />Cheryl, daughter with CF...GI and lungs

T

Terry

I breast fed all 3 of my children. Most of my friends breast fed. I don't know where the idea that a breast fed baby taking 10 days to poop is normal. The first 2 weeks after my eldest was born I went through 214 diapers. At her 2 week check up the doctor asked me if she was dirtying at least 6 diapers a day. I told him we went through 214 diapers and he had a cow. I thought something was seriously wrong with my daughter. But then we got down to figuring it out, and I explained that she would poop 3 times every time WHILE I was feeding her. No joke, I would change her diaper 3-4 times while she was eating. He told me to not stop feeding her to change her diaper anymore. My husband was pleased that we found a way to save on diapers.

The point being is that my kids and my friends kids were pooping several times a day (every time they ate).

Breast Fed babies do tend to gain slower, but they should NOT lose weight. That is a sign that either something is not right with the baby or the milk.

Just my opinion, get that baby to another doctor, and not in a month. Is this your first child? Sometimes you have to fuss a little more with your first because the doctors think first time mom's overeact. (Or change too many diapers).

Good Luck!
Terry

T

Terry

I breast fed all 3 of my children. Most of my friends breast fed. I don't know where the idea that a breast fed baby taking 10 days to poop is normal. The first 2 weeks after my eldest was born I went through 214 diapers. At her 2 week check up the doctor asked me if she was dirtying at least 6 diapers a day. I told him we went through 214 diapers and he had a cow. I thought something was seriously wrong with my daughter. But then we got down to figuring it out, and I explained that she would poop 3 times every time WHILE I was feeding her. No joke, I would change her diaper 3-4 times while she was eating. He told me to not stop feeding her to change her diaper anymore. My husband was pleased that we found a way to save on diapers.

The point being is that my kids and my friends kids were pooping several times a day (every time they ate).

Breast Fed babies do tend to gain slower, but they should NOT lose weight. That is a sign that either something is not right with the baby or the milk.

Just my opinion, get that baby to another doctor, and not in a month. Is this your first child? Sometimes you have to fuss a little more with your first because the doctors think first time mom's overeact. (Or change too many diapers).

Good Luck!
Terry

T

Terry

Good Luck!
Terry

T

Terry

Good Luck!
Terry

T

Terry

<br />
<br />The point being is that my kids and my friends kids were pooping several times a day (every time they ate).
<br />
<br />Breast Fed babies do tend to gain slower, but they should NOT lose weight. That is a sign that either something is not right with the baby or the milk.
<br />
<br />Just my opinion, get that baby to another doctor, and not in a month. Is this your first child? Sometimes you have to fuss a little more with your first because the doctors think first time mom's overeact. (Or change too many diapers).
<br />
<br />Good Luck!
<br />Terry

T

Terry

I also wanted to add that CF kids are given salt to replace the salt that they are losing. Not to be too rough on you, but we don't know if your child has CF or not and giving a baby salt can be FATAL. People have accidentally killed their kids by feeding them pureed adult food rather than buying baby food. You could cause irreversible problems with your infant by giving him too much salt. Please do not give your son salt without the advice of a doctor.

Good Luck again!

Terry

T

Terry

I also wanted to add that CF kids are given salt to replace the salt that they are losing. Not to be too rough on you, but we don't know if your child has CF or not and giving a baby salt can be FATAL. People have accidentally killed their kids by feeding them pureed adult food rather than buying baby food. You could cause irreversible problems with your infant by giving him too much salt. Please do not give your son salt without the advice of a doctor.

Good Luck again!

Terry

T

Terry

Good Luck again!

Terry

T

Terry

Good Luck again!

Terry

T

Terry

<br />
<br />Good Luck again!
<br />
<br />Terry