Update on hypertonic saline

coltsfan715

Hello there,

I am not able to offer experience with children and HTS but I wanted to say I find this a very interesting thread. Mainly in regards to the increased appetite and weight gain.

Here were a few thoughts I had in regards to that issue. One like your husband said it may be an altered sense of taste. Two it may be that she is coughing more and thus burning more energy and that is making her hungry. Three she is clearer and breathing better and absorbing O2 better which can make her more hungry OR Four (which is what I really think may be part of the issue) She is coughing out alot of mucus and it is reducing the drainage from her sinuses. Instead of that drainage and any residual mucus that comes up from her lungs being swallowed and landing in her stomach it is getting OUT of her body. From experience (I have CF) I will say that if you swallow a lot of mucus it will make you sick or nauseous and you will not want to eat. It may just be that she doesn't have that excess mucus on her stomach making her sick - so she has a stronger desire to eat.

Just a few thoughts to add to the mix.

Congrats to all on the increased weight and appetite.

Take Care,
Lindsey