Updated? Nebulizer Cleaning Guidelines and General Infection Control

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Well here's the latest that I've found . . . As I stand here waiting for my boiling nebi soup to finish! This is the portion on nebulizers copied and pasted from "updated" infection prevention control guidelines published onwww.cff.org, and the link to those guidelines from the cff.org site is:http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/676882. I don't know if these are any different from the2003 guidelines.
Heres the link to the introductory article, which interestingly enough contains an email address to use if you have questions about the updated infection control guidelines themselves :http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation...Guidelines.cfm. The email address is infectioncontrol@cff.org. If anyone sends them questions, I'd love to see the answers!

"Nebulizers: Cleaning and Disinfecting
59. The CF Foundation recommends that the following steps be performed for nebulizers used in the home as soon as possible after each use:

• a. Clean the nebulizer parts with dish detergent soap and water
  • b. Disinfect the nebulizer parts using one of the following methods:

Heat methods:

• a. Place in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes
  • b. Place in a microwave-safe receptacle submerged in water and microwave for 5 minutes
  • c. Use a dishwasher if the water is more than or equal to 70°C or 158°F for 30 minutes
  • d. Use an electric steam sterilizer

Cold methods:

• a. Soak in 70% isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes
  • b. Soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 30 minutes
    • i. Rinse off the cold-method disinfectant using sterile water, not tap water; the final rinsemust be with sterile or filtered (less than or equal to 0.2-micron filter) water
    • ii. Air dry the nebulizer parts before storage

Source of supporting evidence: 2003 CF IP&C guideline, Category II
2013 CF IP&C guideline consensus: 100%
Sections in the text: III.D.1; IV.E.3

60. The CF Foundation recommends that nebulizers used in the home should not be disinfected with acetic acid (vinegar), bleach solutions, or benzalkonium chloride (eg, “Control III”).
2013 CF IP&C guideline consensus: 100%
Sections in the text: IV.E.3".

Gnome

Funny in moving from Canada to the Netherlands I found the suggested way to clean nebulizers different. In Canada they suggest the dishwasher. In the Netherlands they gave me several 1 litre bottles of 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Nothing wrong with either way just different.