USC or UCSD?

my65roses4me

I just switched from USC to UCSD after being at USC for 10yrs so I know how you are feeling. The switching of clinics is not an easy feat, but it needed to be done.

The reason why I switched is because, just like the others have said, they are very overwhelmed with their patient load. Plus the whole team is fresh out of school therefore this is all new to them. Even the Dr, this is his first job since he was a fellow. By the way, he was a great fellow too, so I do see potential, but my health has suffered waiting.

They have made mistakes that could be avoided if only they have paid attention. But they cant pay attention because they have too many patients.

They only have one Dr for over 180 paitents and they are about to receive more soon.

The nurse coordinator, which is a vital role, is useless! She is like a robot and gives pat answers to serious questions. Just like I have said before, she is the bridge for the patients to the Dr and many times he had no idea I was having probs because she never reported it to him.

Having said all that, I am too new to UCSD to give specifics still. But I have been in for a tune up with them already and so far so good. The nurse coordinator is great!!!! She is intuned with cf and experienced.

The Dr is in his 50's (guessing) and is experienced also. He too is very busy but I haven't felt left alone by him at all.
If I have questions they follow up right away.
In fact, this last Mon I called to tell them about a neuro visit I had at another hospital and we kept playing phone tag, but the nurse coordinator never stopped trying to call. I love her!!!!
If you have any questions please pm me any time!!!

my65roses4me

I just switched from USC to UCSD after being at USC for 10yrs so I know how you are feeling. The switching of clinics is not an easy feat, but it needed to be done.

The reason why I switched is because, just like the others have said, they are very overwhelmed with their patient load. Plus the whole team is fresh out of school therefore this is all new to them. Even the Dr, this is his first job since he was a fellow. By the way, he was a great fellow too, so I do see potential, but my health has suffered waiting.

They have made mistakes that could be avoided if only they have paid attention. But they cant pay attention because they have too many patients.

They only have one Dr for over 180 paitents and they are about to receive more soon.

The nurse coordinator, which is a vital role, is useless! She is like a robot and gives pat answers to serious questions. Just like I have said before, she is the bridge for the patients to the Dr and many times he had no idea I was having probs because she never reported it to him.

Having said all that, I am too new to UCSD to give specifics still. But I have been in for a tune up with them already and so far so good. The nurse coordinator is great!!!! She is intuned with cf and experienced.

The Dr is in his 50's (guessing) and is experienced also. He too is very busy but I haven't felt left alone by him at all.
In fact, this last Mon I called to tell them about a neuro visit I had at another hospital and we kept playing phone tag, but the nurse coordinator never stopped trying to call. I love her!!!!

my65roses4me

my65roses4me

my65roses4me

<br />
<br />The reason why I switched is because, just like the others have said, they are very overwhelmed with their patient load. Plus the whole team is fresh out of school therefore this is all new to them. Even the Dr, this is his first job since he was a fellow. By the way, he was a great fellow too, so I do see potential, but my health has suffered waiting.
<br />
<br />They have made mistakes that could be avoided if only they have paid attention. But they cant pay attention because they have too many patients.
<br />
<br />They only have one Dr for over 180 paitents and they are about to receive more soon.
<br />
<br />The nurse coordinator, which is a vital role, is useless! She is like a robot and gives pat answers to serious questions. Just like I have said before, she is the bridge for the patients to the Dr and many times he had no idea I was having probs because she never reported it to him.
<br />
<br />Having said all that, I am too new to UCSD to give specifics still. But I have been in for a tune up with them already and so far so good. The nurse coordinator is great!!!! She is intuned with cf and experienced.
<br />
<br />The Dr is in his 50's (guessing) and is experienced also. He too is very busy but I haven't felt left alone by him at all.
<br />If I have questions they follow up right away.
<br />In fact, this last Mon I called to tell them about a neuro visit I had at another hospital and we kept playing phone tag, but the nurse coordinator never stopped trying to call. I love her!!!!
<br />If you have any questions please pm me any time!!!
<br />

cfbites

I've been going to USC for many years now (when Dr. Shapiro ran it).

<b>Here are what I think the positives are:</b>
The people. I've had very good experiences with both nurse coordinators, who I feel really want to help us. I think Dr. Rao is fantastic and really cares about his patients. Remember, being a CF doc is not a glamorous position. I think he does it because he truly understands the level of suffering this disease causes and wants to make a difference.
The drive to improve. The center seems like they really want to continue to improve by going to CF conferences and benchmarking other centers.
The hospital. They have done a good job improving conditions at the hospital and communicating our concerns to the hospital. (I agree with CalSally that the PT dept is totally messed up and a joke).
Consistency of care. They're doing a good job trying to uphold standards of care based on science and numbers. Dr. Shapiro used to spend more time, but he was almost more therapist than doctor at times. Unfortunately, that could allow for the decline of patients health. Thanks to the current team there's a PFT machine at clinic and blood testing. No more registering at the hospital for these tests.

<b>The challenges:</b>
They are currently overwhelmed with patients. Visits can take three plus hours now. You wait for Dr. Rao and then get only three minutes with him. This wasn't always the case. I heard that they are going to take on more patients from somewhere. I think they are in denial that they can handle the influx.
Clinic hours. This kind of goes with my first point. But the load is making it difficult to get in.
Where's Paul? I don't know what happened to him, but he is missed. He really knew a lot and they haven't replaced him with anyone with his talent and knowledge.
Not staying on top of results. Due to the number of patients, they don't appear to be staying on top of medical test results like they used to. It's become more my responsibility to ask and manage my case.
Communication with the hospital and the doc at the hospital. Due to their workload, they're not communicating as well with the hospital and attending doc.

All in all, however, I really think USC is fantastic and getting better. If they can just get another doctor to help handle the load, then they could be a top center. They have the core ingredients to do it. They're committed to improving, but the growth is slowing that goal.

My two cents.

cfbites

The people. I've had very good experiences with both nurse coordinators, who I feel really want to help us. I think Dr. Rao is fantastic and really cares about his patients. Remember, being a CF doc is not a glamorous position. I think he does it because he truly understands the level of suffering this disease causes and wants to make a difference.
The drive to improve. The center seems like they really want to continue to improve by going to CF conferences and benchmarking other centers.
The hospital. They have done a good job improving conditions at the hospital and communicating our concerns to the hospital. (I agree with CalSally that the PT dept is totally messed up and a joke).
Consistency of care. They're doing a good job trying to uphold standards of care based on science and numbers. Dr. Shapiro used to spend more time, but he was almost more therapist than doctor at times. Unfortunately, that could allow for the decline of patients health. Thanks to the current team there's a PFT machine at clinic and blood testing. No more registering at the hospital for these tests.

They are currently overwhelmed with patients. Visits can take three plus hours now. You wait for Dr. Rao and then get only three minutes with him. This wasn't always the case. I heard that they are going to take on more patients from somewhere. I think they are in denial that they can handle the influx.
Clinic hours. This kind of goes with my first point. But the load is making it difficult to get in.
Where's Paul? I don't know what happened to him, but he is missed. He really knew a lot and they haven't replaced him with anyone with his talent and knowledge.
Not staying on top of results. Due to the number of patients, they don't appear to be staying on top of medical test results like they used to. It's become more my responsibility to ask and manage my case.
Communication with the hospital and the doc at the hospital. Due to their workload, they're not communicating as well with the hospital and attending doc.

All in all, however, I really think USC is fantastic and getting better. If they can just get another doctor to help handle the load, then they could be a top center. They have the core ingredients to do it. They're committed to improving, but the growth is slowing that goal.

My two cents.

cfbites

My two cents.

cfbites

My two cents.

cfbites

<br />
<br /><b>Here are what I think the positives are:</b>
<br />The people. I've had very good experiences with both nurse coordinators, who I feel really want to help us. I think Dr. Rao is fantastic and really cares about his patients. Remember, being a CF doc is not a glamorous position. I think he does it because he truly understands the level of suffering this disease causes and wants to make a difference.
<br />The drive to improve. The center seems like they really want to continue to improve by going to CF conferences and benchmarking other centers.
<br />The hospital. They have done a good job improving conditions at the hospital and communicating our concerns to the hospital. (I agree with CalSally that the PT dept is totally messed up and a joke).
<br />Consistency of care. They're doing a good job trying to uphold standards of care based on science and numbers. Dr. Shapiro used to spend more time, but he was almost more therapist than doctor at times. Unfortunately, that could allow for the decline of patients health. Thanks to the current team there's a PFT machine at clinic and blood testing. No more registering at the hospital for these tests.
<br />
<br /><b>The challenges:</b>
<br />They are currently overwhelmed with patients. Visits can take three plus hours now. You wait for Dr. Rao and then get only three minutes with him. This wasn't always the case. I heard that they are going to take on more patients from somewhere. I think they are in denial that they can handle the influx.
<br />Clinic hours. This kind of goes with my first point. But the load is making it difficult to get in.
<br />Where's Paul? I don't know what happened to him, but he is missed. He really knew a lot and they haven't replaced him with anyone with his talent and knowledge.
<br />Not staying on top of results. Due to the number of patients, they don't appear to be staying on top of medical test results like they used to. It's become more my responsibility to ask and manage my case.
<br />Communication with the hospital and the doc at the hospital. Due to their workload, they're not communicating as well with the hospital and attending doc.
<br />
<br />All in all, however, I really think USC is fantastic and getting better. If they can just get another doctor to help handle the load, then they could be a top center. They have the core ingredients to do it. They're committed to improving, but the growth is slowing that goal.
<br />
<br />My two cents.
<br />

CaliSally

I agree with CFbites 100% on their pros and cons (or, positives and challenges).

Good News: Paul is around. He is there on one clinic day, not both (I can't remember if it's Wed or Fri).

Not so good: I miss Dr's Shapiro's bedside manner, he seemed to "get me", and his nurse was more patient-advocate than the current one has time to be. It was disheartening in the beginning to be treated like I had to do everything myself, when I felt they should be the ones fighting the insurance (for example) on issues.

Good News: My last appt I was happy to see that they have found some pharmacies that are willing to work with our insurances to get us the meds we need - in the past it was "sorry, you're on your own" attitude.

Good News:
I've been told that they (at least the nutrition dept) is working out a better system for getting and reviewing test results.

I know they are swamped and doing there best, but unfortunately, their patients suffer in the mean time.
However, I will say again, I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there, but would simply want them to be aware of the clinics current struggles so they are prepared and not side-swiped.

CaliSally

I agree with CFbites 100% on their pros and cons (or, positives and challenges).

Good News: Paul is around. He is there on one clinic day, not both (I can't remember if it's Wed or Fri).

Not so good: I miss Dr's Shapiro's bedside manner, he seemed to "get me", and his nurse was more patient-advocate than the current one has time to be. It was disheartening in the beginning to be treated like I had to do everything myself, when I felt they should be the ones fighting the insurance (for example) on issues.

Good News: My last appt I was happy to see that they have found some pharmacies that are willing to work with our insurances to get us the meds we need - in the past it was "sorry, you're on your own" attitude.

Good News:
I've been told that they (at least the nutrition dept) is working out a better system for getting and reviewing test results.

I know they are swamped and doing there best, but unfortunately, their patients suffer in the mean time.
However, I will say again, I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there, but would simply want them to be aware of the clinics current struggles so they are prepared and not side-swiped.

CaliSally

Good News:

CaliSally

Good News:

CaliSally

<br />
<br />Good News: Paul is around. He is there on one clinic day, not both (I can't remember if it's Wed or Fri).
<br />
<br />Not so good: I miss Dr's Shapiro's bedside manner, he seemed to "get me", and his nurse was more patient-advocate than the current one has time to be. It was disheartening in the beginning to be treated like I had to do everything myself, when I felt they should be the ones fighting the insurance (for example) on issues.
<br />
<br />Good News: My last appt I was happy to see that they have found some pharmacies that are willing to work with our insurances to get us the meds we need - in the past it was "sorry, you're on your own" attitude.
<br />
<br />Good News:
<br />I've been told that they (at least the nutrition dept) is working out a better system for getting and reviewing test results.
<br />
<br />I know they are swamped and doing there best, but unfortunately, their patients suffer in the mean time.
<br />However, I will say again, I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there, but would simply want them to be aware of the clinics current struggles so they are prepared and not side-swiped.
<br />