Vancomycin Question

randmel89

Hello,

I have been on 1 gram of Vancomycin since Wednesday morning. I noticed yesterday I had red blotches on my thigh, and up under my arm. I took a benadryl thinking maybe it is due to the vanco. Well, just about 10 minutes ago I looked at my back and my gosh I have red blotches all over my back. If you would like a picture to see them just e mail me or PM me rmklaus@swbell.net. I need to know if this is something serious or just a side affect that is harmless just due to the vanco.

Thank You in Advance for any info or advice,

randmel89

Hello,

I have been on 1 gram of Vancomycin since Wednesday morning. I noticed yesterday I had red blotches on my thigh, and up under my arm. I took a benadryl thinking maybe it is due to the vanco. Well, just about 10 minutes ago I looked at my back and my gosh I have red blotches all over my back. If you would like a picture to see them just e mail me or PM me rmklaus@swbell.net. I need to know if this is something serious or just a side affect that is harmless just due to the vanco.

randmel89

Hello,

randmel89

Hello,

randmel89

Hello,
<br />
<br /> I have been on 1 gram of Vancomycin since Wednesday morning. I noticed yesterday I had red blotches on my thigh, and up under my arm. I took a benadryl thinking maybe it is due to the vanco. Well, just about 10 minutes ago I looked at my back and my gosh I have red blotches all over my back. If you would like a picture to see them just e mail me or PM me rmklaus@swbell.net. I need to know if this is something serious or just a side affect that is harmless just due to the vanco.
<br />
<br />Thank You in Advance for any info or advice,
<br />

ej0820

congratulations...you have red man's syndrome!!

I'm no doctor but I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you took benedryl, the benedryl just makes it not itch or anything else like that. Benedryl won't keep the discoloration away...just discomfort if you have any (I get really itchy on vanco my first week on it). Like I said, I don't think it's anything to worry about but asking the doc about it won't hurt...just don't go rushing to the ER or anything unless you get a fever or it's hurting (you know the drill, I'm sure). Good luck, feel better!!!

ej0820

I'm no doctor but I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you took benedryl, the benedryl just makes it not itch or anything else like that. Benedryl won't keep the discoloration away...just discomfort if you have any (I get really itchy on vanco my first week on it). Like I said, I don't think it's anything to worry about but asking the doc about it won't hurt...just don't go rushing to the ER or anything unless you get a fever or it's hurting (you know the drill, I'm sure). Good luck, feel better!!!

ej0820

ej0820

ej0820

<br />
<br />I'm no doctor but I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you took benedryl, the benedryl just makes it not itch or anything else like that. Benedryl won't keep the discoloration away...just discomfort if you have any (I get really itchy on vanco my first week on it). Like I said, I don't think it's anything to worry about but asking the doc about it won't hurt...just don't go rushing to the ER or anything unless you get a fever or it's hurting (you know the drill, I'm sure). Good luck, feel better!!!

just1more

This is a known reaction to Vanco. You can google vancomycin rash or red man rash and get more info.

It is often seen w/ IV vanco being administered too quickly. Our son has the same issue and so-far they have just avoided vanco since first noting it.

As for how to react, I'd probably touch base with your clinic and ask for direction.

just1more

This is a known reaction to Vanco. You can google vancomycin rash or red man rash and get more info.

It is often seen w/ IV vanco being administered too quickly. Our son has the same issue and so-far they have just avoided vanco since first noting it.

As for how to react, I'd probably touch base with your clinic and ask for direction.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />It is often seen w/ IV vanco being administered too quickly. Our son has the same issue and so-far they have just avoided vanco since first noting it.
<br />
<br />As for how to react, I'd probably touch base with your clinic and ask for direction.

randmel89

I have done Vanco many times and never had red blotches like this. I usally turn red all over for about 2 hours and then it fades and I am back to normal. But this is different then I noramlly get so, it had me a little worried. I will definatly call my DR tomorrow just to check bases and make sure it is okay. Thank You...

randmel89

I have done Vanco many times and never had red blotches like this. I usally turn red all over for about 2 hours and then it fades and I am back to normal. But this is different then I noramlly get so, it had me a little worried. I will definatly call my DR tomorrow just to check bases and make sure it is okay. Thank You...

randmel89

randmel89

randmel89