vegan diet-cystic fibrosis

lovelifepassion

Hey to everyone!

I want to ask if had someone try raw vegan diet? I have cystic fibrosis and ate too much milk,meat and brad. I know i must ate more fats, calories and things like that. But what do you think if i try raw vegan diet. Just vegetables, fruit and nuts(pistachios,...) I have 19 years old and have 110% of lung function for what i am realy thakful. Thanks for all arguments younwill write! Peace and love to all

lifepreneur

Unless you have a moral objection to the killing of animals there is no reason to go vegan (or vegetarian) despite what people that follow it say! For CF it is not a great way to eat, we have enough nutrient issues that result in malnutrition without removing even more nutrient dense foods from our diets.

You would be better to address the quality of foods that you currently eat (eg eat only grass-fed meats) eat fresh vegetables etc. Ditch refined and processed foods. I've using the "Paleo/Primal" diet since October 2011. Amazingly my "CF Belly" has gone too! Basically, eat real food :)

scarecrow

I was diagnosed w/ CF in 1963. At that time there were no really good enzymes to take so I was raised on a very low fat diet. Not vegan because I drank a lot of non-fat milk but I ate almost no meat at all until I was 14. I was always thin, but grew up fine, at least as far as diet went.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
If you can find adequate fats and protein to supplement your diet -- coconut oil, nuts... Might be doable.

CheerColl

I have been flirting with Vegan eating for years, and while I know I will never ever be strict vegan, I have learned so much and feel better when I focus on finding plant-based whole foods that are super nutrient dense and also high fat and high calorie. I believe wholeheartedly in using food as medicine. Continue your curiosity with research, and eat what makes you feel good. I love cooking too much to go the raw route, so I have no advice on that at all because have no knowledge of it at all. What I do know is that now that I am passionate about the food I eat, I feel so so much better (I have less pain, less fatigue, more energy and my body feels stronger) than when I just did the "eat whatever you want, as long as its high fat" (i.e. McDonalds, milk, cheese, high-fat meats, etc.) diet that my CF nutritionist recommended. PM me if you want to swap recipes, peace and love to you!

A

Allansarmy

If you don't mind a feeding tube being placed giving you 1500 calories into your stomach every night, then sure why not go on that diet.

K

Keepercjr

Unless you have a moral objection to the killing of animals there is no reason to go vegan (or vegetarian) despite what people that follow it say! For CF it is not a great way to eat, we have enough nutrient issues that result in malnutrition without removing even more nutrient dense foods from our diets.

You would be better to address the quality of foods that you currently eat (eg eat only grass-fed meats) eat fresh vegetables etc. Ditch refined and processed foods. I've using the "Paleo/Primal" diet since October 2011. Amazingly my "CF Belly" has gone too! Basically, eat real food :)

I follow that eating plan as well (paleo/primal) and love it. My CF belly is gone too! We eat lots of grass fed meat, nutrient dense veggies and use coconut and butter liberally. I have only wonderful things to say about this lifestyle. My husband and kids are the same. I honestly don't think that going vegetarian is a good choice for anyone's health.

I am so happy to see this topic. My family is vegan, but not raw. Our so Maximus, 2 years old with CF is not. He is currently following the nutritionists recommendations. I seriously believe raw vegan is the most beneficial way to go do to the ease of absorbtion of the nutrients.... but I also think you will have to be kind of eating all the time and it takes a lot of time to prepare yummy tasting raw food. I mean I love a piece of fruit or handful of nuts as the next person, but when there are nut butters and minced veggies, soaked wild rice or beans and dehydrated breads... it would be a full time job to get in the calories you need. But if you did it, I would bet you would never see the inside of a hospital again. For my 2 year old son with 5 hospital stays under his belt, that would be amazing. I am having trouble going this route for my son because he is such a picky eater, he doesn't even want to spend time eating 3 meals a day so I don't think he would enjoy eating all day and if the kid wants anything with fat in it or high calories I just get so excited no matter how nutritious it is. I have made some progress with him though eating lots of salads. I have also won the guacamole battle. But we have a long way to go with nuts and coconut. Good luck with your decision. I would love to hear more about cf belly and how many raw food enthusiasts are out there. I did hear one guys story who raised twins raw vegan and they never went back to the hospital after a horrible first three years of life always sick. I also have a close friend who cured cancer with her food so I am a total believer. KIT

lovelifepassion

I ate now raw vegan for few weeks but i think i dont get enought calories, becouse i am also doing a lot of sport ( and i have 5liters lung capacety, and have just 164cm). Now i will try to eat all but milk and meat in very low quantitty. I eat a lot of fruits and vegs, but i need more fats, calories. I think that the doing sport have bigger
impact to condition of CF. love and peace to all:)!

azmaveth

There is nothing wrong with going vegan, but even non-CF vegans have to supplement their diet with vitamin B12 and such. If you pay attention to your caloric intake and you can maintain or gain weight by adopting a vegan diet, more power to you. I would say that you will need to pile on the nuts, avocado, coconut oil, and other high fat vegan foods in order to stay healthy. If you are serious about going this route, please get professional advice from a dietician/nutritionist and prepare to do lots of meal planning to ensure your diet is balanced properly for YOUR needs. Much of the stuff you will read online about being vegan will not apply because those of us with CF already have our own special dietary needs.

epicurus

Top quality nutrition is vital for CF

CF patients are often encouraged to eat junk food - cola, crisps, burgers, etc - anything to get the calories in it seems! However a diet full of transfats, sugar and high fructose corn syrup will just play havoc with the liver and pancreas, leading to diabetes. I avoid processed, refined and sugary foods.

Top quality nutrition is essential to nourish a healthy body. My husband makes me a delicious "green juice" every morning from raw vegetables. It is very cleansing for the liver.
Check out my healthy recipes here!

Lots of green vegetables help to alkalise the body which will assist in keeping infections away. Organic vegetables are best - we like to grow our own vegetables and herbs in the garden which we use in our cooking.

I haven't tried a vegan diet, but I have eliminated milk and try to reduce the amount of bread I eat. I recommend eating a moderate amount of organic grass fed meat, and lots of fish. Eggs are an important source of nutrition for me and I have a poached egg every morning.

Our lettuces in the garden!

theparrisfive

I would suggest not doing it. My son is vegan due to having pku and it is so hard to keep weight on him and due to not being able to have the right nutrition for the cystic fibrosis hes not as healthy as he could be if he could have a high protein diet. Unless your going to eat a bunch of junk your not going to be able to get a very good calorie intake

rmotion

I have been flirting with Vegan eating for years, and while I know I will never ever be strict vegan, I have learned so much and feel better when I focus on finding plant-based whole foods that are super nutrient dense and also high fat and high calorie. I believe wholeheartedly in using food as medicine. Continue your curiosity with research, and eat what makes you feel good. I love cooking too much to go the raw route, so I have no advice on that at all because have no knowledge of it at all. What I do know is that now that I am passionate about the food I eat, I feel so so much better (I have less pain, less fatigue, more energy and my body feels stronger) than when I just did the "eat whatever you want, as long as its high fat" (i.e. McDonalds, milk, cheese, high-fat meats, etc.) diet that my CF nutritionist recommended. PM me if you want to swap recipes, peace and love to you!

sounds good
do you ever try noni - beingi HA?

Lena Bean

So. I just would like to say, if you take enzymes- like Creon. Those come from pigs, the same ones they use for pork. So, there's no way you could really be vegan if you're doing it for moral reasons.