Vertex 661 trial and CFRD

sue3582

Does anyone know if you can participate in any of the Vertex trials and have CFRD? I was just diagnosed and I was wanting to do the trial later on in the year.

sue3582

I just realized I must have lost all my posts when I had to reset my password and user name. I used to be sue35, although I didn't post a whole lot. But I did visit everyday to get all the wonderful advice from everyone!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I have never seen CFRD mentioned as an excludable factor on the study info at the government webpage, but I also hadn't seen hyper-sal listed and seem to recall several noting you have to discontinue it. Given the age of the population participating, it would seem hard to get enough participants without CFRD, though, so I'd think it doesn't exclude folks. Sorry I don't have more info on that for you.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
If this is the trial you are talking about
http://www.cff.org/Display/dsp_Clin...MONAS=&BCepacia=&PLT=&Therapy=&Char=&Keyword=
CFRD is not mentioned on this information sheet.

Although this is mentioned on one of the links in the above site:
"History of any illness that, in the opinion of the investigator, might confound the results of the study or pose an additional risk in administering study drug to the subject."

So it looks like it does not automatically exclude you, but maybe if you don't have it under control it would be up to the doctor to decide if it would have any effect on the trial.

R

rb1973

I completed the 28 day vertex trial and have CFRD. It wasn't an issue. Blood tests throughout trial include glucose levels but not A1C.