Vertex drugs show promise with DF508

angelsmom

Investors were not happy with the reduction in sweat chloride levels, which was lower than what was apparently expected.
<br />
<br />
<br />"Vertex said the higher-dose combination therapy reduced patients' sweat chloride levels by 9.1 millimoles per liter. Citi Investment Research analyst Yaron Werber said that was less than investors were hoping for.
<br />
<br />"The data (...) technically falls a bit lower than the 15 mmol/L reduction that the Street wanted to see," Werber said.
<br />
<br />In a note published before the results were released, RBC Capital Markets analyst Jason Kantor wrote that a 10 mmol/L reduction would be the lowest result considered positive."
<br />
<br />From: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/vertex-pharma-falls-cystic-fibrosis-study-data-151843622.html
<br />

M

moxie1

<P>If you look closely at the article, some of the patients tested had higher reductions of their sweat chloride levels  (-15 to as far as -20).  I'm guessing they took an average of all of the patients?  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I'm wondering if gene modifiers play a result in this...  </P>

M

moxie1

<P>If you look closely at the article, some of the patients tested had higher reductions of their sweat chloride levels (-15 to as far as -20). I'm guessing they took an average of all of the patients?</P>
<P></P>
<P>I'mwondering if gene modifiers play a result in this... </P>

M

moxie1

<P><BR>If you look closely at the article, some of the patients tested had higher reductions of their sweat chloride levels (-15 to as far as -20). I'm guessing they took an average of all of the patients?</P>
<P></P>
<P>I'mwondering if gene modifiers play a result in this... </P>

Goster

Banned
Doing some simple math ( (8*15 + 4*20 + 5*x)/17=13 ) I received following results:

47% people (8/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded -15.0 mmol/L
23% people (4/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded -20.0 mmol/L

BUT
29% people (5/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded ONLY -4.2 mmol/L

and I think this could be also a reason for such reactions of investors

Goster

Banned
Doing some simple math ( (8*15 + 4*20 + 5*x)/17=13 ) I received following results:

47% people (8/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded -15.0 mmol/L
23% people (4/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded -20.0 mmol/L

BUT
29% people (5/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded ONLY -4.2 mmol/L

and I think this could be also a reason for such reactions of investors

Goster

Banned
<br />
<br />47% people (8/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded -15.0 mmol/L
<br />23% people (4/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded -20.0 mmol/L
<br />
<br />BUT
<br />29% people (5/17) with a reduction of sweat chloride that exceeded ONLY -4.2 mmol/L
<br />
<br />and I think this could be also a reason for such reactions of investors

petnurse

Before getting too concerned...this drug was only combined for one week. The other trial that showed all of the clinical results (weight gain, increased lung function, fewer exacerbations) was MUCH longer. This is the result that the CFF expected and they warned that the results would not be as good as the 770. They said they will tweak dosages and lengthen the next trial. hopefully the results next year will be fabulous like the 770 :)

petnurse

Before getting too concerned...this drug was only combined for one week. The other trial that showed all of the clinical results (weight gain, increased lung function, fewer exacerbations) was MUCH longer. This is the result that the CFF expected and they warned that the results would not be as good as the 770. They said they will tweak dosages and lengthen the next trial. hopefully the results next year will be fabulous like the 770 :)

petnurse

drbortz

So, my mutations are DF508 and Q493X (I'm assuming that means I don't have "two copies of [...] the F508del mutation"). Given that, does that mean that these drugs will never be of use to me if they make it through the pipeline? Sorry if the answer is obvious to some, but I really have no clue. Thanks for any input!<div><br></div><div>-Ryan</div>

drbortz

So, my mutations are DF508 and Q493X (I'm assuming that means I don't have "two copies of [...] the F508del mutation"). Given that, does that mean that these drugs will never be of use to me if they make it through the pipeline? Sorry if the answer is obvious to some, but I really have no clue. Thanks for any input!<br>-Ryan

drbortz

So, my mutations are DF508 and Q493X (I'm assuming that means I don't have "two copies of [...] the F508del mutation"). Given that, does that mean that these drugs will never be of use to me if they make it through the pipeline? Sorry if the answer is obvious to some, but I really have no clue. Thanks for any input!<br>-Ryan

kitomd21

You only need one mutation of the specified mutations (either G551D for VX-770 or dd508 for VX-809/VX-770). Even if you have some other obscure mutation, as long as one of them is one of the aforementioned, the drug will apply to you. In essence, "treating" one mutation would make you something more of a CF carrier....