vertex

cfgirl1992

So I have been keeping of with the vertex trials but am confused as to what (if any) medications vertex has the potential or will replace. Does it replace anything we are taking for our lungs, or is it just taken along side what we are doing now?

cfgirl1992

So I have been keeping of with the vertex trials but am confused as to what (if any) medications vertex has the potential or will replace. Does it replace anything we are taking for our lungs, or is it just taken along side what we are doing now?

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

kitomd21

They won't replace any meds, per se. They are in an entirely new class. Rather, they will enable improved function of the CFTR protein (no other drug has achieved this). NaCl movement will improve...secretions won't be as thickened. Mucocilliary movement will be more efficient in clearing mucus in the lungs as mucus won't be as thickened due to the improved NaCl movement. Infections would most likely lessen as the mucus will be more readily cleared from the lungs. This is all speculation at this point...but encouraging trial results thus far....I doubt pancreatic insufficiency will change. I imagine nebulized treatments would occur less frequently, if at all.

kitomd21

They won't replace any meds, per se. They are in an entirely new class. Rather, they will enable improved function of the CFTR protein (no other drug has achieved this). NaCl movement will improve...secretions won't be as thickened. Mucocilliary movement will be more efficient in clearing mucus in the lungs as mucus won't be as thickened due to the improved NaCl movement. Infections would most likely lessen as the mucus will be more readily cleared from the lungs. This is all speculation at this point...but encouraging trial results thus far....I doubt pancreatic insufficiency will change. I imagine nebulized treatments would occur less frequently, if at all.

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21