Very confused mother

izemmom

In my opinion, if you have coverage now, and you have a concern with his diarrhea, why not get him back on enzymes asap? ( I assume that was one of his previous meds...) I have a 4 year old, no cf...and can' t imagine how life would be if she had constant potty issues! I think you need to get to a cf center, regardless of how familar your ped is with cf. They will get you back on the best preventative course. It will be worth it in the long run.

erinjenkins

I agree with Tami....The diarrhea is how we found the CF in my son Tyler. He wasn't able to digest the fats in his food and it also gave him bad tummy aches, You should really get to the center. The Social worker is usally very helpful.

Erin mom of Tyler 3 w/cf and Alaina 1 w/no cf

erinjenkins

I agree with Tami....The diarrhea is how we found the CF in my son Tyler. He wasn't able to digest the fats in his food and it also gave him bad tummy aches, You should really get to the center. The Social worker is usally very helpful.

erinjenkins

JazzysMom

The diahrea is what got me diagnosed. My weight & growth was ok, but I pooped like crazy and had terrible gas/pain everytime I ate. Not a fun time. The first med that I got was an enzyme. You might not see any results from lack of meds or care immediately, but that there is no way to know how much damage is done long term. Better to get on it now then be sorry.

Here is a link of all programs if the insurance doesnt kick in:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=17394&highlight_key=y&keyword1=assistance%20programs">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...=assistance%20programs</a>

JazzysMom

The diahrea is what got me diagnosed. My weight & growth was ok, but I pooped like crazy and had terrible gas/pain everytime I ate. Not a fun time. The first med that I got was an enzyme. You might not see any results from lack of meds or care immediately, but that there is no way to know how much damage is done long term. Better to get on it now then be sorry.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=17394&highlight_key=y&keyword1=assistance%20programs">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...=assistance%20programs</a>

JazzysMom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Without enzymes, he's not getting proper nutrition, could become malnurished. Plus he could get a bowel obstruction.

As far as the peds doctor saying his lungs are clear. I can't tell you the number of times we've gone to the local clinic and heard that, only to find out that DS has had an upper respiratory infection when we've gone to his CF doctor in the City.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Without enzymes, he's not getting proper nutrition, could become malnurished. Plus he could get a bowel obstruction.

As far as the peds doctor saying his lungs are clear. I can't tell you the number of times we've gone to the local clinic and heard that, only to find out that DS has had an upper respiratory infection when we've gone to his CF doctor in the City.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

LeneSouthAfrica

It's normal to worry if one had done the right thing, but you can't change the past, so don't beat yourself up on it. I'm sure there are all things we regret doing/not doing in terms of our past treatment. You did the best you could with the resources and knowledge you had at the time. The important thing here is to focus on what you can do from now on...and even with insurance issues in future there are some things which can be continued, e.g. physio/exercise, using a generic inhaler (MUCH cheaper) and nebulising hypertonic saline (if recommended by his dr). As for the tummy, please get him on enzymes as not digesting food is agony and will affect his health long term.

LeneSouthAfrica

It's normal to worry if one had done the right thing, but you can't change the past, so don't beat yourself up on it. I'm sure there are all things we regret doing/not doing in terms of our past treatment. You did the best you could with the resources and knowledge you had at the time. The important thing here is to focus on what you can do from now on...and even with insurance issues in future there are some things which can be continued, e.g. physio/exercise, using a generic inhaler (MUCH cheaper) and nebulising hypertonic saline (if recommended by his dr). As for the tummy, please get him on enzymes as not digesting food is agony and will affect his health long term.

LeneSouthAfrica