Very interesting article

anonymous

This is what I found to be a very interesting read. I'm sure some people will enjoy it and others will be skeptical but thought I'd post nonetheless.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/biotech/20051021-9999-1b21vertex.html">http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/biotech/20051021-9999-1b21vertex.html</a>

WinAce

They said virtually nothing about what they have. Whereas, for the antiviral drug they're developing, it's going to enter stage II clinical trials, they didn't even mention the preliminary stage 1 studies for anything CF-related. Sounds like yet more vaporware.

supermanfan

I read the article, and that is great. I also believe it goes to show the Cyctic Fibrosis Foundation one again doesn't help a drug company with it's research. Gentec discovered Pulmozyme and the foundation didn't lend a hand... I urge people to help these other companies that are actually finding treatments instead of the foundation which only raises money to feed their greedyness.

anonymous

Okay, this is the second time I've read something about CF causing the lungs to become dry. Am I going crazy? I thought it was excess mucus in the lungs that was the problem.

Mockingbird

Excess mucus wouldn't be a problem if our lungs weren't dry. normal lung mucus is thin, but since our bodies don't use salt properly (because of the ion channels the article mentions), certain tubes will get blocked and such, and the lungs get dried out, which makes the mucus thick.

To Supermanfan, you didn't really read the article, did you? It said very clearly the CFF was involved.

And to WinAce, it's a newspaper article, not a medical journal. They said what they're researching but it's not like they're going to get into specifics.

anonymous

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>supermanfan</b></i><br>I read the article, and that is great. I also believe it goes to show the Cyctic Fibrosis Foundation one again doesn't help a drug company with it's research. Gentec discovered Pulmozyme and the foundation didn't lend a hand... I urge people to help these other companies that are actually finding treatments instead of the foundation which only raises money to feed their greedyness.<hr></blockquote>

So, you condiser $40,000,000 nothing???????????????

"The collaboration has been outstanding," said Beall, whose foundation (this is the CF FOUNDATION) has provided $40 million to fund the Vertex CF project. "We think this approach is custom-made, it aims right at the level of the basic gene defect and mutation that causes cystic fibrosis.

Sunnie

I had heard about this awhile ago (I'm studying genetics). But at the time they were still in the theoretical stage. It's nice to know that things have gone farther now. I really hope it works. That will be another leap for us!!!

julie

Supermanfan, I urge you to read the article again and recant your words. I odn't agree iwth some of the ways the CF foundation spends its money, a lot of people question it. But your posts leads people to believe that the CF foundation had nothing to do with this new drug, and that's not true

Quoted from the article:
<blockquote>Quote<br><hr>Bob Beall, chief executive officer of the CF Foundation, said the Vertex drug is the foundation's "highest priority research project."
"The collaboration has been outstanding," said Beall, whose foundation has provided $40 million to fund the Vertex CF project.
" <hr></blockquote>

julie

Also, it may be somewhat trivial, but I decided to send a quick thank you to the author of this article. I believe that those who take the time to do stories on CF, even if it was assigned to them and they didn't go "seeking the story" out to be told how much those of us intimately involved with CF feel. I sent a really short but sweet thank you to this email: <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="mailto:penni.crabtree@uniontrib.com">penni.crabtree@uniontrib.com</a>

"Penni,

I read your article regarding the Vertex company and their new drug. I wanted to thank you for writing this story, from all of us either living with CF or loving someone who is living with CF-A VERY SINCERE THANK YOU!

Not to many people know what CF is, many still believe people only live into their teens... my husband is 25, will graduate with a degree in Business administration and a minor in international business next May. We are looking into starting a family and we will have many more years, if not decades together. Your wonderful article is just one more way to gEt information about CF out there and make people aware of the disease. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so very much!"

It would be nice if a few others would send a thank you. Who knows, we may get an awareness story out of it????!!!!

N

nycgirl

i completly agree with you about the foundation!!

jessica w cf 28

julie

I got a response from the author of this article. It was breif but still, I didn't even expect a reply.

She said, "Thank you for your note. My best wishes to you and all others living with this disease and those who have loved ones with CF. Take care of yourselves".

If anybody else out there is interested, please send this person a thank you! I think it's just going to be one more way to show the "world" that we appreciate when CF is paid attention to, and it can only encourage more stories about CF. If they get encouraging feedback, they might search for other stories.