Very Low Fat Diet & CF

SoyaSauce

I was just wondering if there are any CFer's out there who try to keep their fat intake to very low limit despite having a excellent weight and maximizing their enzyme doses?

No matter how much I try, I can not absorb anything with a heavy fat content, pizza, cream, heavy ice cream, any heavy meats, heavy cheeses, whole milk. I get major pains, horrid farts, cramps, bloating, my stomach hurts, even if I take the max dose amount of enzymes that my Dr. lets me, it doesn't work well AT ALL, Fast food, anything fried, dipped in oils, the bathroom will need remodeled (BATHROOM)

Now, if I watch my fat intake for the day, under 35 grams of fat, my bathroom/stomach issues are GONE, instead of going 4 times, I would go 1 a day, and its pretty normal, my stomach is half the size, and I am not using 2 cans of febreze and my betta fish has not died by floating at the top of her bowl.

To me though, 25-35 grams of fat a day seems very low/ almost too low, but I figured If am getting my needs from protein and carbs, im ok,.

I weight 134 lbs on a good day, but I am athletic/ very lean muscle build, as long as I take my ADEKS, insulin, and my enzymes with carbs/protein at all times, I feel great.

So what do you guys think ? From a fat nutritional standpoint what are your thoughts, experiences,? Skinny, big, normal weight CFers,- please chime in!

Printer

Soya:

I know exactly what you are talking about. Google Steven D. Freedman, MD, PhD. He is located in Boston. He only sees patients on Friday's. You could fly up on a Thursday and fly back of Saturday or Sunday.

This could be a life changing appointment for you. Hopefully, some of Steve's patients will comment.

Bill

kyeev

Soya, sounds like you're not taking enough enzymes supplements.
How many do you take with those heavy meals?
For instance, I take 12 creon 25000 with a fat heavy meal...

AH11201

Just based on my own experiences, it occurred to me that the problem might not be the amount of fat you're eating but the type of fat. I used to eat a lot of low quality, fatty food--really questionable sausage, other meats from questionable sources, "nutritional" supplement drinks, lots of fried foods, plus a lot of sugar--and I had horrible stomach pains all the time. When I started eating healthier, whole foods, those pains almost vanished. Now I eat a significant amount of fat, but it's the good stuff: avocados, nuts, organic or grass-fed dairy, organic / local meat and eggs, grass-fed beef, grass-fed butter, coconut oil, etc. Of course I still have the occasional stomach ache just because of the CF, but it's nowhere near the chronic problem I used to have.

kmhbeauty

You should try eating more monounsaturated fats like olive oil and avocado. I have no problems with these fats. Also smart balance butter is awesome, 85% chocolate bar (Trader Joe's). I hear that extra virgin coconut oil is great for people with cystic fibrosis. My dad has read that in many health books.

JustDucky

I too have issues with extremely fatty meals...I have to be careful when eating out. I usually select foods that are fairly easy to digest and not loaded with fat (unless I am close to home, then I may risk that pizza). I take Creon with my meals, otherwise I have no issues, only with the fats. It is frustrating eating out because I do crave those yummy, decadent dishes...but I ultimately pay one way or another eating them.

Jenn 41 wCF

running4life

I have an issue with fatty foods too. I don't have a gall bladder so that could contribute as well. I eat a low fat diet, but include healthy fats on a daily basis: avocado, Fish oil, coconut oil, etc. When I eat unhealthy fats, thats when I get sick as you described. Try switching your fat sources. Fat is essential to our body, but if you aren't underweight it's really not that big of an issue as long as you are getting in SOME fat.

scarecrow

I was raised w/out enzymes on a very low fat diet. I grew up that way and while it wasn't always fun, digestionwise, I lived a very active almost normal life. I didn't start taking enzymes until my late 20's. I am 5'11" and weigh 130 so maybe I'm not a poster child for that diet but there wasn't a realistic choice back in the stone ages when I was a kid.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Without a doubt Dr. Steve Freedman can make science out of a generally black art. His science applied to an individual patient can turn GI chaos into something more enjoyable. He speaks pancreas, GI and is fluent in CF.

My diet has run the gambit. My garbage gut years ended in my twenties but prior I could easily down a greasy meal on my way to a 6000Cal/dy diet. I am happy being a Jack Spratt and my 600Cal/dy diet has less than 5 grams of fat. Easy for me to avoid fat, it won't stay down.

LL

CrisDopher

Well, this is a familiar tune. I've practiced fat intake control for most of my life. Including kind AND amount. But I have lately become more adventurous in seeing which fats and how much of them my Creon can handle. I do think more CF doctors should get on this and help each patient figure out what works best, rather than take a one-size-fits-all approach.

On a related note, I've mentioned to my doctor that I think CF docs should be teaching fat gram counting, just as diabetes patients have to count carbs, so we should be counting fat. And our enzymes should be dosed PER GRAM, rather than per kilogram of patient body weight. Which makes no sense at all!