Vest for Infant/Toddler?

harrabell

My Cfer is 7 months old now, and it is getting very difficult to do her chest therapy. She squirms and rolls and kicks, and I just don't feel like I am giving her a very good session when I do it. I have seen that there are vests (or wraps) for infants and toddlers, and I am wondering if any parents have experience with these. If not, does anyone have some advice about how to make this easier? She is too little for cartoons or treats, and toys aren't really cutting it. Thanks in advance!

sdavis227

Our son was 10 months when we got his but I do believe that every CF clinic is different in when they start pushing for it. I honestly can't think of how we got past that stage with our kiddo so I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I would suggest to just try everything you can, even doing it while she wakes up or is falling asleep (I know, odd suggestion, but Parker fell asleep to his vest daily so maybe there is something with the constant pounding??)

Hoping some other parents have suggestions :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We started the vest I want to say at 6 months. We pushed for it (but really only had to ask and said if he doesn't handle we'll do it slowly, etc.) DS was one of the youngest if not the youngest who used it at our center but I told them they should offer it young to everyone. It was a great decision--he got use to it so young he never had the toddler adjustment. We had both a wrap and a small vest but the wrap was hard to use/get fitted right so we used the vest without the straps attached until he grew into it. We used the SmartVest system and they had an extra (extra?) small for very young. Also, we did videos even though I wasn't a big fan of TV/videos for kids b/c it helped. But we did the Preschool Prep series which I loved and DS is reading at 3--not fully obviously but he can figure out all the phonics and can read about 50-100 words. In fact, his speech is delayed so when I can't figure out what he is saying I'll ask him what it starts with, i.e. DS: "Mommy why do we need to dower everyday?" Me: "Dower?" "NO, starts with sh." He also loved Baby Signing Time which also has been handy with delayed speech. If you decide to try the vest let me know and I'll explain how we did it so it wasn't scary.

harrabell

Thank you so much for the input! I am definitely going to ask about it at our next clinic appointment. Thank you !

S

stephanielapierre

Our clinic said that due to health insurance regulations, he had to wait until he was 18 months. This vest is amazing. He is 2 now and doing incredible! I hope you can get the vest.

Bella's-mom

Our clinic in Canada won't support the vest. My daughter is almost 11 months old and fights physio tooth and nail. It's such a struggle but the best times of day for us is first thing in the morning and late evening. She screams and fights at times but we just keep on pounding. One day I hope to be able to give her the vest but for now it's just not in the cards.