Vicks

sdavis227

Hi all!

DS has been having an "increased cough" and is on antibiotics. . . was just wondering if Vicks is ok to use as well?

I went to the store tonight to grab some vicks and mucinex for myself as I believe I have bronchitis. While there, I saw the waterless Vicks vaporizors and picked up two - one for DS and one for me. I'm not sure what it is that Vicks does (expectorant, suppresant, other?) and obviously don't want to make anything worse for him.... any thoughts??

Thanks everyone!

sdavis227

Hi all!

DS has been having an "increased cough" and is on antibiotics. . . was just wondering if Vicks is ok to use as well?

I went to the store tonight to grab some vicks and mucinex for myself as I believe I have bronchitis. While there, I saw the waterless Vicks vaporizors and picked up two - one for DS and one for me. I'm not sure what it is that Vicks does (expectorant, suppresant, other?) and obviously don't want to make anything worse for him.... any thoughts??

Thanks everyone!

sdavis227

Hi all!

Thanks everyone!

sdavis227

Hi all!

Thanks everyone!

sdavis227

Hi all!
<br />
<br />DS has been having an "increased cough" and is on antibiotics. . . was just wondering if Vicks is ok to use as well?
<br />
<br />I went to the store tonight to grab some vicks and mucinex for myself as I believe I have bronchitis. While there, I saw the waterless Vicks vaporizors and picked up two - one for DS and one for me. I'm not sure what it is that Vicks does (expectorant, suppresant, other?) and obviously don't want to make anything worse for him.... any thoughts??
<br />
<br />Thanks everyone!

hmw

I have wondered about this too & keep forgetting to ask when we are at clinic appts. I know that we can't use the cold meds that contain cough suppressants but I have always liked using the Vicks vaporizers and the vapo-rub, ever since the kids were little. Sometimes it would help more than anything else we could do for them. When the kids were your son's age we'd use the vapor stuff in their bath, when they were really sick... it seemed to really work well with the steamy bathroom to help break up sinus and chest congestion.

hmw

I have wondered about this too & keep forgetting to ask when we are at clinic appts. I know that we can't use the cold meds that contain cough suppressants but I have always liked using the Vicks vaporizers and the vapo-rub, ever since the kids were little. Sometimes it would help more than anything else we could do for them. When the kids were your son's age we'd use the vapor stuff in their bath, when they were really sick... it seemed to really work well with the steamy bathroom to help break up sinus and chest congestion.

hmw

hmw

hmw

Nightwriter

Research published by Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in the January 2009 issue of Chest, the peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Chest Physicians, suggests that Vicks VapoRub compound used to relieve symptoms of cough and congestion, may instead create respiratory distress in infants and small children. The study reports that the product may stimulate mucus production and airway inflammation, which can have severe effects on the breathing of infants and young children because of the small size of their airways.

I can't imagine that Vick's would be good for anyone with lung disease: Camphor is the main ingredient of Vick's.

FROM the Material Hazard Safety Sheet:
Camphor:
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. COMBUSTIBLE.

It consists of chemicals that can be very harmful to the lungs:

· Camphor 4.8% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
· Eucalyptol 1.2% (Cough suppressant)
· Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
Inactive Ingredients
· Cedarleaf oil
· Nutmeg oil
· special Petrolatum
· Turpentine oil
With CF, we definitely don't want to suppress coughs.

Also from the Chest article:
Vicks VapoRub (VVR) [Proctor and Gamble; Cincinnati, OH] is often used to relieve symptoms of chest congestion. We cared for a toddler in whom severe respiratory distress developed after VVR was applied directly under her nose. We hypothesized that VVR induced inflammation and adversely affected mucociliary function, and tested this hypothesis in an animal model of airway inflammation.
VVR stimulates mucin secretion and MCTV in the LPS-inflamed ferret airway. This set of findings is similar to the acute inflammatory stimulation observed with exposure to irritants, and may lead to mucus obstruction of small airways and increased nasal resistance.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.chestjournal.org/content/135/1/143.full
">http://www.chestjournal.org/content/135/1/143.full
</a>
My doctor says that the best thing for a cough is freshly grated ginger tea with a little honey. I have found this to be true. Ginger is a natural mucus thinner and anti-inflammatory. You can check with your doctor if this okay. I do nasal washes and some other things to stop coughs -- but I don't know if they are okay for kids.

Nightwriter

Research published by Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in the January 2009 issue of Chest, the peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Chest Physicians, suggests that Vicks VapoRub compound used to relieve symptoms of cough and congestion, may instead create respiratory distress in infants and small children. The study reports that the product may stimulate mucus production and airway inflammation, which can have severe effects on the breathing of infants and young children because of the small size of their airways.

I can't imagine that Vick's would be good for anyone with lung disease: Camphor is the main ingredient of Vick's.

Camphor:
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. COMBUSTIBLE.

Inactive Ingredients
· Cedarleaf oil
· Nutmeg oil
· special Petrolatum
· Turpentine oil

Vicks VapoRub (VVR) [Proctor and Gamble; Cincinnati, OH] is often used to relieve symptoms of chest congestion. We cared for a toddler in whom severe respiratory distress developed after VVR was applied directly under her nose. We hypothesized that VVR induced inflammation and adversely affected mucociliary function, and tested this hypothesis in an animal model of airway inflammation.
VVR stimulates mucin secretion and MCTV in the LPS-inflamed ferret airway. This set of findings is similar to the acute inflammatory stimulation observed with exposure to irritants, and may lead to mucus obstruction of small airways and increased nasal resistance.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.chestjournal.org/content/135/1/143.full
</a>
My doctor says that the best thing for a cough is freshly grated ginger tea with a little honey. I have found this to be true. Ginger is a natural mucus thinner and anti-inflammatory. You can check with your doctor if this okay. I do nasal washes and some other things to stop coughs -- but I don't know if they are okay for kids.

Nightwriter

Camphor:

Inactive Ingredients
· Cedarleaf oil
· Nutmeg oil
· special Petrolatum
· Turpentine oil

</a>

Nightwriter

Camphor:

Inactive Ingredients
· Cedarleaf oil
· Nutmeg oil
· special Petrolatum
· Turpentine oil

</a>

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />I can't imagine that Vick's would be good for anyone with lung disease: Camphor is the main ingredient of Vick's.
<br />
<br />FROM the Material Hazard Safety Sheet:
<br />Camphor:
<br />WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. COMBUSTIBLE.
<br />
<br />It consists of chemicals that can be very harmful to the lungs:
<br />
<br />· Camphor 4.8% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
<br />· Eucalyptol 1.2% (Cough suppressant)
<br />· Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)
<br />Inactive Ingredients
<br />· Cedarleaf oil
<br />· Nutmeg oil
<br />· special Petrolatum
<br />· Turpentine oil
<br />With CF, we definitely don't want to suppress coughs.
<br />
<br />Also from the Chest article:
<br />Vicks VapoRub (VVR) [Proctor and Gamble; Cincinnati, OH] is often used to relieve symptoms of chest congestion. We cared for a toddler in whom severe respiratory distress developed after VVR was applied directly under her nose. We hypothesized that VVR induced inflammation and adversely affected mucociliary function, and tested this hypothesis in an animal model of airway inflammation.
<br />VVR stimulates mucin secretion and MCTV in the LPS-inflamed ferret airway. This set of findings is similar to the acute inflammatory stimulation observed with exposure to irritants, and may lead to mucus obstruction of small airways and increased nasal resistance.
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.chestjournal.org/content/135/1/143.full
</a><br />
<br />My doctor says that the best thing for a cough is freshly grated ginger tea with a little honey. I have found this to be true. Ginger is a natural mucus thinner and anti-inflammatory. You can check with your doctor if this okay. I do nasal washes and some other things to stop coughs -- but I don't know if they are okay for kids.
<br />
<br />