Viokase is not being made anymore

hmw

This thread was started back when the FDA deadline passed and several enzymes ultimately became unavailable (Ultrase, Pancrecarb and Viokase) due to never gaining their approval.

When you say that you contacted Axcan and they are 'still working' on it- how long ago was this? Axcan has acquired (not sure of the dynamic) the company that manufactures Zenpep so it makes me wonder how much interest they would now have in either of their old products.

hmw

This thread was started back when the FDA deadline passed and several enzymes ultimately became unavailable (Ultrase, Pancrecarb and Viokase) due to never gaining their approval.
<br />
<br />When you say that you contacted Axcan and they are 'still working' on it- how long ago was this? Axcan has acquired (not sure of the dynamic) the company that manufactures Zenpep so it makes me wonder how much interest they would now have in either of their old products.

longtimer

<P>So there are two options that you could try.  In some cases what I have done is give the regular dose of enzymes you would give at a meal before the tube feeding and at the end.  If this doesn't work then sometimes giving it before after and waking them up half way through to give another dose works.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>The other option is to change your formula to an elemental one such as pregestimal which dose not need enzymes or occasionally not as many enzymes.  </P>
<P>Viokase is not enteric coated so many think it is not as effective as the standard enteric coated enzymes. </P>

longtimer

<P>So there are two options that you could try. In some cases what I have done is give the regular dose of enzymes you would give at a meal before the tube feeding and at the end. If this doesn't work then sometimes giving it before after and waking them up half way through to give another dose works.</P>
<P></P>
<P>The other option is to change your formula to an elemental one such as pregestimal which dose not need enzymes or occasionally not as many enzymes. </P>
<P>Viokase is not enteric coated so many think it is not as effective as the standard enteric coated enzymes. </P>

longtimer

<P><BR>So there are two options that you could try. In some cases what I have done is give the regular dose of enzymes you would give at a meal before the tube feeding and at the end. If this doesn't work then sometimes giving it before after and waking them up half way through to give another dose works.</P>
<P></P>
<P>The other option is to change your formula to an elemental one such as pregestimal which dose not need enzymes or occasionally not as many enzymes. </P>

mike2616

I wish I knew more about how to use this list. Anyway, my previous post on here I have now found out from the fda is a bad idea. You do not want to contact the fda to try and get them to get viokase approved again. If you want the answer as to what I believe has happened to viokase you could contact me and i will tell you. But it is now clear to me that viokase will never be brought back (at least not for humans..it seems like viokase V for dogs is still out there). Just the fda protecting the other big pharma companies.

mike2616

I wish I knew more about how to use this list. Anyway, my previous post on here I have now found out from the fda is a bad idea. You do not want to contact the fda to try and get them to get viokase approved again. If you want the answer as to what I believe has happened to viokase you could contact me and i will tell you. But it is now clear to me that viokase will never be brought back (at least not for humans..it seems like viokase V for dogs is still out there). Just the fda protecting the other big pharma companies.

mike2616

hmw

My personal thought is that Axcan has stopped pursuing gaining approval for Viokase as well as Ultrase now that they have acquired Eurand, the maker of Zenpep. When Axcan had submitted their NDA for Ultrase way back early in 2010, there had been found to be a problem with it which would delay their gaining approval. The powdered form of Viokase had already been d/c'ed due to issues with their manufacturing process- they didn't even attempt to gain FDA approval for that one. I have the feeling the tablet form has been abandoned as well by the company- consumer demand for that one is likely very small vs. the new 'big one' Zenpep.

Re. tube feeds: we started giving Emily her Creon orally at the start of feeds (while she is still awake) and then halfway through her feed before I go to sleep through her tube (500ml= 5hr feed, so she is halfway done before midnight generally speaking.) This makes more sense digestively speaking than waiting till the end and no one loses any sleep. Her pump silently shuts off by itself when the feed is done. She also uses a predigested formula, which as mentioned helps matters. Zenpep has also come out with an approved process involving blenderizing the enzymes with the formula. I cannot vouch for how well this works, but anyone with a tube-fed child- ask your dr and dietician about this.

hmw

My personal thought is that Axcan has stopped pursuing gaining approval for Viokase as well as Ultrase now that they have acquired Eurand, the maker of Zenpep. When Axcan had submitted their NDA for Ultrase way back early in 2010, there had been found to be a problem with it which would delay their gaining approval. The powdered form of Viokase had already been d/c'ed due to issues with their manufacturing process- they didn't even attempt to gain FDA approval for that one. I have the feeling the tablet form has been abandoned as well by the company- consumer demand for that one is likely very small vs. the new 'big one' Zenpep.

Re. tube feeds: we started giving Emily her Creon orally at the start of feeds (while she is still awake) and then halfway through her feed before I go to sleep through her tube (500ml= 5hr feed, so she is halfway done before midnight generally speaking.) This makes more sense digestively speaking than waiting till the end and no one loses any sleep. Her pump silently shuts off by itself when the feed is done. She also uses a predigested formula, which as mentioned helps matters. Zenpep has also come out with an approved process involving blenderizing the enzymes with the formula. I cannot vouch for how well this works, but anyone with a tube-fed child- ask your dr and dietician about this.

hmw

<br />
<br />Re. tube feeds: we started giving Emily her Creon orally at the start of feeds (while she is still awake) and then halfway through her feed before I go to sleep through her tube (500ml= 5hr feed, so she is halfway done before midnight generally speaking.) This makes more sense digestively speaking than waiting till the end and no one loses any sleep. Her pump silently shuts off by itself when the feed is done. She also uses a predigested formula, which as mentioned helps matters. Zenpep has also come out with an approved process involving blenderizing the enzymes with the formula. I cannot vouch for how well this works, but anyone with a tube-fed child- ask your dr and dietician about this.

dream2live

<P>I used to take Viokase when I was I child.  They now have enzymes in pill forms here in the US.  I take Creon.  There are quite a few pill form enzymes on the market here.  I think they even have a liquid form.  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Google Creon, Ultrase, Zenpep.  Hope this helps.</P>

dream2live

<P>I used to take Viokase when I was I child. They now have enzymes in pill forms here in the US. I take Creon. There are quite a few pill form enzymes on the market here. I think they even have a liquid form. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Google Creon, Ultrase, Zenpep. Hope this helps.</P>

dream2live

<P><BR>I used to take Viokase when I was I child. They now have enzymes in pill forms here in the US. I take Creon. There are quite a few pill form enzymes on the market here. I think they even have a liquid form. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Google Creon, Ultrase, Zenpep. Hope this helps.</P>