Viokase Users Read Please

izemmom

We recently switched to Viokase for Emily's overnight tube feedings after Ku-zyme was discontinued. With Ku-zyme, we put the enzyme in at the start of the feeding and it was good to go. Now that we've switched to Viokase we are still putting the powder (1/8 teaspoon for each can of Pediasure) into the bag at the start of the feeding along with 4 scoops of Peptamin Jr. That's what we were told to do.

I read the thread in Families about enzymes for overnight feedings and it got me thinking. Why were we told to put it in at the start if some people are having to run it in a separate pump and some people are giving enzymes at the start and end of the feed...I realize different enzymes will have different administration methods, but I'm confused.

If the viokase is like our Pancrecarb and only good for 45 minutes, then obviously what we were told to do isn't right. A feeding last 7 hours! We were told that it lasts longer, but then why are other people told other things?

I've noticed that since starting Viokase Emily's stools don't seem quite as solid as before, and every third one (or so) will float. Especially the first one of the day, which leads me to beleive that the overnight enzyme is not workig properly the way we are giving it.

So, all Viokase users out there, what do YOU do?

izemmom

We recently switched to Viokase for Emily's overnight tube feedings after Ku-zyme was discontinued. With Ku-zyme, we put the enzyme in at the start of the feeding and it was good to go. Now that we've switched to Viokase we are still putting the powder (1/8 teaspoon for each can of Pediasure) into the bag at the start of the feeding along with 4 scoops of Peptamin Jr. That's what we were told to do.

I read the thread in Families about enzymes for overnight feedings and it got me thinking. Why were we told to put it in at the start if some people are having to run it in a separate pump and some people are giving enzymes at the start and end of the feed...I realize different enzymes will have different administration methods, but I'm confused.

If the viokase is like our Pancrecarb and only good for 45 minutes, then obviously what we were told to do isn't right. A feeding last 7 hours! We were told that it lasts longer, but then why are other people told other things?

I've noticed that since starting Viokase Emily's stools don't seem quite as solid as before, and every third one (or so) will float. Especially the first one of the day, which leads me to beleive that the overnight enzyme is not workig properly the way we are giving it.

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />I read the thread in Families about enzymes for overnight feedings and it got me thinking. Why were we told to put it in at the start if some people are having to run it in a separate pump and some people are giving enzymes at the start and end of the feed...I realize different enzymes will have different administration methods, but I'm confused.
<br />
<br />If the viokase is like our Pancrecarb and only good for 45 minutes, then obviously what we were told to do isn't right. A feeding last 7 hours! We were told that it lasts longer, but then why are other people told other things?
<br />
<br />I've noticed that since starting Viokase Emily's stools don't seem quite as solid as before, and every third one (or so) will float. Especially the first one of the day, which leads me to beleive that the overnight enzyme is not workig properly the way we are giving it.
<br />
<br />So, all Viokase users out there, what do YOU do?