Vision problems with CF?

mysticrose

My oldest DD has had significant vision loss in the past few months. We took her to get her eyes checked yesterday and the doctor said he thinks she is having possible nerological issues in the back of her eyes. The best he can get her vision with glasses is 20/30 and that's also with bifocals. She is only 14. He didn't see any issues with the veins and stuff behind the eye related to the diabetes or the arthritis. We are supposed to go back in a few months to see if the new glasses have improved her vision at all. If not or has gotten worse he wants to do further indepth testing with an MRI for the eyes.
Could this be CF related or could we be looking at something totally different?

Any information on this would be great I'm at a complete loss as to what to think right now.

Jen mom to 4 kiddos. 3/cf and 1 lucky red head.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Does she have sinus issues? My Cfer has polyps. They treated for awhile with Saline and Flonase, etc, but they continued to grow. Everyone said that as long as they don't cause major problems, we should wait on any surgery to remove them. Obviously they tend to return. So we waited. Then one night, I discovered that he was having problems reading his homework. He finally said that he saw double and was scrunching his face down to the paper. We tried a brief home experiment with reading glasses, and it was much better. But I called the ENT, not the eye doc or his pulmonologist. The ENT brought him in immediately and we scheduled surgery - the polyps were putting pressure on his optic nerve. It could have caused serious eye problems if untreated. Surgery made an instantaneous difference in his vision. We also had him examined by the eye clinic and they found lots of vision problems, but never mentioned the polyps as a possible cause. After the surgery, the same eye clinic tested him again, and found his vision was perfect. I would check it out with an ENT - they did just a CT scan and could see the pressure although they never would have thought it was causing vision problems from the films. Your DD cause may well be totally different, but I would definitely investigate with an ENT. Best of luck!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I believe Gammaw about the Polyps. Other than that, from what I know about CF I've never heard of vision problems that are CF related. Is she on any medications that might cause vision loss? That's currently the only thing I can think of.

I hope you can figure out the problem soon.

hugs to you.

azdesertrat

The only vison problems I've had with CF is the fact that I'm getting to be an Old Fart with CF!
I've had to get glasses for reading. Same old crap as just about everyone my age goes through. I can see great far away; just can't see anything close up.
I went to my annual diabetic eye exam the first part of August & my optometrist said everything is great. I don't even have to have my glasses adjusted like they were last year. Its funny, my left eye isn't as strong as the right.
Anyway, it sounds to me as if your child is having some significant vision issues.
Were it me, I would take the child for a full eye exam with a certified optometrist & go from there.
Best of luck to you all, 'Pat'.