Vitamin A Deficiency

anonymous

Hello All,My question is: Has anyone found a form of Vitamin A that is well-absorbed? My daughter takes large amounts of Vitamin A but her blood tests still show a large deficiency. She doesn't eat any red meat, only moderate amounts of fish. She gets her protein from soy and other vegetarian products.Thanks.Julies MomP.S. Glutathione is a real blessing to her!!

anonymous

Our daughter has a Vit A deficiency as well. Hopefully her next test will be better. I think incresing enzymes may help. I say this because we were giving Madison 500 units of Lipase per pound per meal. We increased her enzymes to 750 units per pound. Her poops are more solid and less frequent. (About two a day)I will tell you how her next test comes out.Don P

anonymous

I am sure you have probably tried this, but ADEKS are made especially for CFers so I am assuming it is easier for us to absorb. She could even increase (with docs permission) her daily ADEK vit. to 2 a day...just a suggestion

anonymous

I have something that works wonderfully. Its Beta Carotenem (they get it from the vit A in carrots). It is stored in the body and then when your body is in need of it itconverted to vit A. It works really well as a vit A supplement! If you are interested post back and I can give you the name of some good brands or how much to take!Emmoh and carrots are a great form of vitamoin A also. If you can get your daughter to snack on them that would be great because they say it is much easier for the body to absorb vitamins and nutrients from the natural foods...

Dea

Unfortunately, thats a bad thing about CF...the fat soluble vitamins not being absorbed. I have a deficiency in Vitamin, A,D, and E. And when theres a high deficiency is hard to get what you need by just getting them out of the foods you eat. I have always ate healthy and still have the probs. The only thing I have found so far is just taking the extra vitamin A capsules....the gel ones are the best...they absorb better and quicker....also take them with the enzymes...it helps them absorb better too. Wish I knew of something better! Take Care and good luck!Dea

Dea

Unfortunately, thats a bad thing about CF...the fat soluble vitamins not being absorbed. I have a deficiency in Vitamin, A,D, and E. And when theres a high deficiency is hard to get what you need by just getting them out of the foods you eat. I have always ate healthy and still have the probs. The only thing I have found so far is just taking the extra vitamin A capsules....the gel ones are the best...they absorb better and quicker....also take them with the enzymes...it helps them absorb better too. Wish I knew of something better! Take Care and good luck!Dea

anonymous

I give my daughter cod liver oil capsules in addition to her ADEKS. She also eats some, although not all veggies: carrots (if glazed), acorn squash (if glazed). Her dr. was initially worried about too much A but found all well when tested. Hope it helps. Gwen

anonymous

I give my daughter cod liver oil capsules in addition to her ADEKS. She also eats some, although not all veggies: carrots (if glazed), acorn squash (if glazed). Her dr. was initially worried about too much A but found all well when tested. Hope it helps. Gwen

anonymous

It's me again. Forgot to mention that I give it to her with her meal or directly after so that the enzymes will help with the absorption. G

anonymous

It's me again. Forgot to mention that I give it to her with her meal or directly after so that the enzymes will help with the absorption. G

anonymous

I heard that too much vitamin A can be harmful and cause soft bone tissue leading to fractures so be careful how much you give. Nutrition is tricky for our Cf ers! My children take ADEK vitamins

anonymous

I heard that too much vitamin A can be harmful and cause soft bone tissue leading to fractures so be careful how much you give. Nutrition is tricky for our Cf ers! My children take ADEK vitamins