Vitamin D

• Thread starter NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting
  • Start date
N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

Yeah, the doctors told us to take her outside as much as possible. She was in the hospital the first 6months of her life and never got any sun exposure, when she left the hospital she was put on vit D supp because hers was so low. The are doing more blood work in 8wks and seeing if they need to increase this amount and testing for rickets due to her bowed legs. I know I have read up on this and it seems to be that some people cannot absorb vitamin D well and are placed on some other type of it. So we are waiting to see what they say right now.

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

Yeah, the doctors told us to take her outside as much as possible. She was in the hospital the first 6months of her life and never got any sun exposure, when she left the hospital she was put on vit D supp because hers was so low. The are doing more blood work in 8wks and seeing if they need to increase this amount and testing for rickets due to her bowed legs. I know I have read up on this and it seems to be that some people cannot absorb vitamin D well and are placed on some other type of it. So we are waiting to see what they say right now.

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

PedsNP2007

Hi,

"Bow legged" is known as gene varum, a normal physiological finding in children up until the age of 3/4 years of age. Granted, CF people have issues with vitamin D levels and should have them check to ensure additional supplements (above and beyond the normal recommended CF fat soluble vitamin daily doses).

I would not think rickets right away due to this finding. If she is receiving close monitoring of her vitamin D levels and receiving supplementation, then rickets is not very common.

However, I would not think she would not outgrow this bowing of the legs. If she reaches 3 yo and still has the same degree of bowed legs, then I would worry. It usually is a slow progression to the "normal" way people stand.

I'm not saying Grayson doesn't have rickets, but just letting you know that this bowing of the legs is not an unusual finding in pediatrics.

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

"Bow legged" is known as gene varum, a normal physiological finding in children up until the age of 3/4 years of age. Granted, CF people have issues with vitamin D levels and should have them check to ensure additional supplements (above and beyond the normal recommended CF fat soluble vitamin daily doses).

I would not think rickets right away due to this finding. If she is receiving close monitoring of her vitamin D levels and receiving supplementation, then rickets is not very common.

However, I would not think she would not outgrow this bowing of the legs. If she reaches 3 yo and still has the same degree of bowed legs, then I would worry. It usually is a slow progression to the "normal" way people stand.

I'm not saying Grayson doesn't have rickets, but just letting you know that this bowing of the legs is not an unusual finding in pediatrics.

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,
<br />
<br />"Bow legged" is known as gene varum, a normal physiological finding in children up until the age of 3/4 years of age. Granted, CF people have issues with vitamin D levels and should have them check to ensure additional supplements (above and beyond the normal recommended CF fat soluble vitamin daily doses).
<br />
<br />I would not think rickets right away due to this finding. If she is receiving close monitoring of her vitamin D levels and receiving supplementation, then rickets is not very common.
<br />
<br />However, I would not think she would not outgrow this bowing of the legs. If she reaches 3 yo and still has the same degree of bowed legs, then I would worry. It usually is a slow progression to the "normal" way people stand.
<br />
<br />I'm not saying Grayson doesn't have rickets, but just letting you know that this bowing of the legs is not an unusual finding in pediatrics.
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />31 yo cf

Tcole

The reason that the docs want to test her is because her first Vit D level was extremely low. Then after a few months of extra Vit D. she was retested and again very low. We were to stay at the same doseage but try to get her outside as much as we can. So in oct. we are doing another vit d test to see where shes at in her level. Her bow legged is very noticeable. thats why they are not just waiting to see if she "out grows" this. Blood work is needed anyway, so we might as well check just to be safe.

Tcole

The reason that the docs want to test her is because her first Vit D level was extremely low. Then after a few months of extra Vit D. she was retested and again very low. We were to stay at the same doseage but try to get her outside as much as we can. So in oct. we are doing another vit d test to see where shes at in her level. Her bow legged is very noticeable. thats why they are not just waiting to see if she "out grows" this. Blood work is needed anyway, so we might as well check just to be safe.

Tcole

Tcole

Tcole

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Which vitamin D supplement is she on? And what dosage per day? She's also on a vitamin ADEK supplement too, right?

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Which vitamin D supplement is she on? And what dosage per day? She's also on a vitamin ADEK supplement too, right?

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,
<br />
<br />Which vitamin D supplement is she on? And what dosage per day? She's also on a vitamin ADEK supplement too, right?
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />31 yo cf