Vomiting hand fulls of mucus

eli

I was just wondering if any of you guy's have experienced a similar situation.

About twice a year she gets very mucusy (sp)and vomits piles of mucus. This time she woke up choking and not able to breath (scared the living daylights out of us). It lasted for quiet some time and we couldn't work out what was going on, so we called an ambulance home.

Whilst waiting for them we kept trying to get her to vomit it all up, which she did after about 15min of agony.
There was about 3 handfulls of clear mucus that wa realy THICK AND STICKY, like i have never seen it before.

When we went to clean it up it stretched i metre off the ground and wouldnt even wash down the sink. It was like thick glue, almost rubbery. I was and am still freaked out about it.

Now my question is. Have any of you ever experinced this before, and where do you think this mucus is building up and coming from?

For instance, is it possible for that mucus to have built up in the lungs and then for her to vomit it up? or is it building up in her tummy and/or intestines?

Any info would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

eli

About twice a year she gets very mucusy (sp)and vomits piles of mucus. This time she woke up choking and not able to breath (scared the living daylights out of us). It lasted for quiet some time and we couldn't work out what was going on, so we called an ambulance home.

Whilst waiting for them we kept trying to get her to vomit it all up, which she did after about 15min of agony.
There was about 3 handfulls of clear mucus that wa realy THICK AND STICKY, like i have never seen it before.

When we went to clean it up it stretched i metre off the ground and wouldnt even wash down the sink. It was like thick glue, almost rubbery. I was and am still freaked out about it.

Now my question is. Have any of you ever experinced this before, and where do you think this mucus is building up and coming from?

For instance, is it possible for that mucus to have built up in the lungs and then for her to vomit it up? or is it building up in her tummy and/or intestines?

Any info would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

eli

Any info would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

eli

Any info would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

eli

<br />
<br />About twice a year she gets very mucusy (sp)and vomits piles of mucus. This time she woke up choking and not able to breath (scared the living daylights out of us). It lasted for quiet some time and we couldn't work out what was going on, so we called an ambulance home.
<br />
<br />Whilst waiting for them we kept trying to get her to vomit it all up, which she did after about 15min of agony.
<br />There was about 3 handfulls of clear mucus that wa realy THICK AND STICKY, like i have never seen it before.
<br />
<br />When we went to clean it up it stretched i metre off the ground and wouldnt even wash down the sink. It was like thick glue, almost rubbery. I was and am still freaked out about it.
<br />
<br />Now my question is. Have any of you ever experinced this before, and where do you think this mucus is building up and coming from?
<br />
<br />For instance, is it possible for that mucus to have built up in the lungs and then for her to vomit it up? or is it building up in her tummy and/or intestines?
<br />
<br />Any info would be great.
<br />
<br />Sorry for the long post.

rubyroselee

Hmmm...

My main thought is that all that mucus that she had coughed up in that 15 minutes she was swallowing, and when she vomited she threw it up.

Make sure the doctor knows about this incident. It sounds like this mucus consistency is not normal for her, so she may have an infection going on.

I hope she's doing ok now. I know it must have been terribly scary for you.

rubyroselee

Hmmm...

My main thought is that all that mucus that she had coughed up in that 15 minutes she was swallowing, and when she vomited she threw it up.

Make sure the doctor knows about this incident. It sounds like this mucus consistency is not normal for her, so she may have an infection going on.

rubyroselee

Hmmm...

rubyroselee

Hmmm...

rubyroselee

Hmmm...
<br />
<br />My main thought is that all that mucus that she had coughed up in that 15 minutes she was swallowing, and when she vomited she threw it up.
<br />
<br />Make sure the doctor knows about this incident. It sounds like this mucus consistency is not normal for her, so she may have an infection going on.
<br />
<br />I hope she's doing ok now. I know it must have been terribly scary for you.

dyza

that sounds quite scary indeed, make sure that cf doc knows of this. hope she is feeling better.
my initial thought was that it sounded like it could be bile that she has brought up, i think an adult produces a pint of bile a day. and i have brought up bile before, basically its vomit without the food (gross I know).
still get it checked out.

Craig

dyza

that sounds quite scary indeed, make sure that cf doc knows of this. hope she is feeling better.
my initial thought was that it sounded like it could be bile that she has brought up, i think an adult produces a pint of bile a day. and i have brought up bile before, basically its vomit without the food (gross I know).

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

<br /> my initial thought was that it sounded like it could be bile that she has brought up, i think an adult produces a pint of bile a day. and i have brought up bile before, basically its vomit without the food (gross I know).
<br /> still get it checked out.
<br />
<br />
<br />Craig

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is her nose stuffy or plugged? DS did this a couple of times, though not as copious for my MIL. Figured he was swallowing whatever was up there. And his nose never ran 'cuz his boogies were so incredibly thick.

You said she was mucuousy -- does she have a cold or cough right now? Are you doing regular CPT? If so, when she gets this way, might be a good idea to increase the number of treatments -- do one before bed to help get things moving, cleared out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is her nose stuffy or plugged? DS did this a couple of times, though not as copious for my MIL. Figured he was swallowing whatever was up there. And his nose never ran 'cuz his boogies were so incredibly thick.

You said she was mucuousy -- does she have a cold or cough right now? Are you doing regular CPT? If so, when she gets this way, might be a good idea to increase the number of treatments -- do one before bed to help get things moving, cleared out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />You said she was mucuousy -- does she have a cold or cough right now? Are you doing regular CPT? If so, when she gets this way, might be a good idea to increase the number of treatments -- do one before bed to help get things moving, cleared out.