Vomiting

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last summer we had some issues with vomit -- lots and lot of vomit. Thought it was caused by switching from zithromax liquid daily to tablets every other day, so we changed the time we gave it to ds -- before bed. And it seemed to help, but then he threw up on a day he wasn't supposed to take it.

Thought maybe it was that he was car sick 'cuz that's usually where it happened. But then it happened in a restaurant, at home in the tub, at the dinner table...

Thought it was an overheating, salt issue. But then on a cool summer day --- he did it again, before bed -- 3 hours after eating a meal.

We think we finally figured it out. DS isn't one to drink much during meals. Usually he sips his beverage and we struggle to get him to drink.

So, the common link is.... He drinks most of his milk or beverage before a meal or at the start and then eats fairly well. So we're thinking he fills his tummy with milk, overeats and there just isn't room so -- vomit. Lots and lots of vomit sorry tmi but picture he filled two air sickness bags last month and STILL Was covered from head to toe.

Saturday was a mess -- met friends for lunch and then headed out to shop and DS starts hurling. 'Course I didn't have any bags in the car, so I tossed a receiving blanket on him to catch it and he threw it aside 'cuz he didn't want to get his blankie dirty -- instead -- car, winter coat, shirt, pants, booster seat...

So, we'll see if keeping an eye on him does the trick -- not letting him slam his milk before eating... Usually we're just so thrilled that he's interested in eating, and eats with gusto that we failed to realize he was overdoing it. Sigh!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last summer we had some issues with vomit -- lots and lot of vomit. Thought it was caused by switching from zithromax liquid daily to tablets every other day, so we changed the time we gave it to ds -- before bed. And it seemed to help, but then he threw up on a day he wasn't supposed to take it.

Thought maybe it was that he was car sick 'cuz that's usually where it happened. But then it happened in a restaurant, at home in the tub, at the dinner table...

Thought it was an overheating, salt issue. But then on a cool summer day --- he did it again, before bed -- 3 hours after eating a meal.

We think we finally figured it out. DS isn't one to drink much during meals. Usually he sips his beverage and we struggle to get him to drink.

So, the common link is.... He drinks most of his milk or beverage before a meal or at the start and then eats fairly well. So we're thinking he fills his tummy with milk, overeats and there just isn't room so -- vomit. Lots and lots of vomit sorry tmi but picture he filled two air sickness bags last month and STILL Was covered from head to toe.

Saturday was a mess -- met friends for lunch and then headed out to shop and DS starts hurling. 'Course I didn't have any bags in the car, so I tossed a receiving blanket on him to catch it and he threw it aside 'cuz he didn't want to get his blankie dirty -- instead -- car, winter coat, shirt, pants, booster seat...

So, we'll see if keeping an eye on him does the trick -- not letting him slam his milk before eating... Usually we're just so thrilled that he's interested in eating, and eats with gusto that we failed to realize he was overdoing it. Sigh!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Thought maybe it was that he was car sick 'cuz that's usually where it happened. But then it happened in a restaurant, at home in the tub, at the dinner table...
<br />
<br />Thought it was an overheating, salt issue. But then on a cool summer day --- he did it again, before bed -- 3 hours after eating a meal.
<br />
<br />We think we finally figured it out. DS isn't one to drink much during meals. Usually he sips his beverage and we struggle to get him to drink.
<br />
<br />So, the common link is.... He drinks most of his milk or beverage before a meal or at the start and then eats fairly well. So we're thinking he fills his tummy with milk, overeats and there just isn't room so -- vomit. Lots and lots of vomit sorry tmi but picture he filled two air sickness bags last month and STILL Was covered from head to toe.
<br />
<br />Saturday was a mess -- met friends for lunch and then headed out to shop and DS starts hurling. 'Course I didn't have any bags in the car, so I tossed a receiving blanket on him to catch it and he threw it aside 'cuz he didn't want to get his blankie dirty -- instead -- car, winter coat, shirt, pants, booster seat...
<br />
<br />So, we'll see if keeping an eye on him does the trick -- not letting him slam his milk before eating... Usually we're just so thrilled that he's interested in eating, and eats with gusto that we failed to realize he was overdoing it. Sigh!

JazzysMom

I totally relate. It will sit in my stomach for hours & if I have a coughing fit I will feel it & say WTH? How can that be.....I ate HOURS ago, but I think the fluids block the food from processing as quickly & putting the food closer to come back up then continuing on out.....

Why do things have to be so complicated?! LOL

JazzysMom

I totally relate. It will sit in my stomach for hours & if I have a coughing fit I will feel it & say WTH? How can that be.....I ate HOURS ago, but I think the fluids block the food from processing as quickly & putting the food closer to come back up then continuing on out.....

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Why do things have to be so complicated?! LOL

Rebjane

Super Moderator
It must take longer for people with CF to digest food. My son without CF went through a period of time where he would throw up alot; drove me crazy. We figured out with him it was related to drinking chocolate milk(which he loved). He would be so thirsty, pound a cup of chocolate milk, then want another. if he drank 2 cups in a row...he'ld puke. So we would only allow him one cup of chocolate milk a day...That was when he was about 5..guess it was too much volume for his small stomache.. Maybe his eyes are bigger than his stomache?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
It must take longer for people with CF to digest food. My son without CF went through a period of time where he would throw up alot; drove me crazy. We figured out with him it was related to drinking chocolate milk(which he loved). He would be so thirsty, pound a cup of chocolate milk, then want another. if he drank 2 cups in a row...he'ld puke. So we would only allow him one cup of chocolate milk a day...That was when he was about 5..guess it was too much volume for his small stomache.. Maybe his eyes are bigger than his stomache?

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator