VSL #3 probiotic

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Anyone use it? Thoughts? It is very expensive. Anyone able to get insurance to cover? It is being prescribed by our GI doc.

Thanks

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Augh. Lost my response...so I researched extensively and had that as the best but wanted either gi or cf to ok the use and they wouldn't review the product info. I know our insurance which is great wont cover culturelle which is scripted but we use medical reimbursement so at least it is pretax dollars. I'd love to know if the gi had any research or the dosing or anything you could share because the vsl#3 looked the best from what I looked at!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
We went for a GI consult and this was part of her recommendation to try this probiotic. She did say it was expensive and gave us a few samples to try. If we like it she is going to try to write a script to run through insurance. We'll see; she thought it was much stronger than Culturelle by far and had a chart showing me the difference. She mentioned using it for 2 weeks out of every month. Daughter just finished course of flagyl so I plan on trying VSL#3 Dec 1st so I can keep track of which 2 weeks she starts it.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
The GI thought that Flagyl has alot of side effects and if we could use this Probiotic instead it would be so much better for my daughter's health. I agree.. And while Yes this Probiotic is expensive it truly is nothing compared to a hospital stay with NGT and golytely so that could be our ammo.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
They repeated a belly X-ray about 9 days into the flagyl rx and her belly xray looked better. Flagyl itself made her nauseous. Still on Miralax 2 times a day, GI increased the dose to 25grams 2xday. Hoping the Holiday food doesn't mess with things too much.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks so much for added info. Did the belly xray then show stool or inflammation or something else? Did they test anything before doing flagl or just do because of the overall issues. I hope the combo of all this works. We're in a "good spot" now, but holding breath. And please let me know how the VSL #3 works for her because my research indicated it looked like the best option...I just wanted the doctor to green light it, so it is nice you got that from yours.

Mr CFX

Just some quick input on this as i feel so strongly about this product. It is simply brilliant. I have tried many probiotics of all kinds and strenghts and none really feel or show much difference.

I started vsl3 and firstly you can actually feel it doing something in your stomach whether it gives you a little discomfort at first or how your stomach moves a little etc

Within days it started cleaning out my stomach and i didn't even have any major problems but now my bowel movements are so quick clean and are on a amazing achedule! It's like a well oiled machine in regards to bowel movements and timings

Words can't express what I've felt its actually a pleasure to go to the toilet as its such an effortless task in every manner and gut health is much better.

I recently started culturelle too just to add on but unfortunately being in the UK it's annoying as I have to import them from USA which can get costly for something that i don't really need

If you don't mind me asking how much do you guys pay for vsl3 in the US as I've read so many posts regarding medicine and confused how it all works as some people are leaving meds because it's too expensive etc

I wish i could help some people out if possible lol vsl3 for culturelle swap!